N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£500? :o

When i was checking round a couple months ago the price difference was about £150 ish max on the laptops.

Ex-a-gu-ra-tion. We call it exaguration. To make my point easier to understand, you know. To show even the people that don't read the fine print what I mean.

Ex-a-gu-ra-tion. We call it exaguration. To make my point easier to understand, you know. To show even the people that don't read the fine print what I mean.

WTF are you on? seriously, that isn't even an argument.

It's only fair to compare similarly spec'd computers or else i could compare a fecking windows 95 lappy with a mac pro.

WTF are you on? seriously, that isn't even an argument.

It's only fair to compare similarly spec'd computers or else i could compare a fecking windows 95 lappy with a mac pro.

Takeo is a dude who talks sense, what ever ur name is who said he found a £350 laptop, whats its damn spec? then we will compare!

Well since I only use notebooks for my work at university I could get a Macbook but:

- less software

- high price

- performance

- reliability (at least from what I have heard)

versus stylish design, OS x.x ...

That is just not enough for me to switch sides. Also I need 17" notebook and Apple only goes up to 15" or 15.4".

Well since I only use notebooks for my work at university I could get a Macbook but:

- less software

- high price

- performance

- reliability (at least from what I have heard)

versus stylish design, OS x.x ...

That is just not enough for me to switch sides. Also I need 17" notebook and Apple only goes up to 15" or 15.4".

Performance is good-surprisingly-from the new macbooks. and reliability is second to none as far as i'm aware! higher price and compatibility i'll give you but you could run windows via parallels etc etc etc see mac vs windows

Performance is good-surprisingly-from the new macbooks. and reliability is second to none as far as i'm aware! higher price and compatibility i'll give you but you could run windows via parallels etc etc etc see mac vs windows

Well I just heard about battery problems and some cracks in displays - I admit every notebook manufactory can cause problems but at such a price I expect PERFECT quality :)

That is why I am not into the iPOD - it seems they are not build to last for eternities like my cheap USB/MP3 stick which is a lot cheaper.

Performance compared to Windows is still a lot less than expected - now with Intel it is going for the right way.

Yeah I could run Windows but a lot of specialiced software won't work and having a MAC for internet/office jobs and Windows to work is not what I want.

Well I just heard about battery problems and some cracks in displays - I admit every notebook manufactory can cause problems but at such a price I expect PERFECT quality :)

That is why I am not into the iPOD - it seems they are not build to last for eternities like my cheap USB/MP3 stick which is a lot cheaper.

Performance compared to Windows is still a lot less than expected - now with Intel it is going for the right way.

Yeah I could run Windows but a lot of specialiced software won't work and having a MAC for internet/office jobs and Windows to work is not what I want.

You could windows natively on an intel mac so use EVERY XP or Vista program if you wanted, i dare anyone to say that the new MacBook Pros are underpowered for the money!

iPods had battery issues, and there's always a minority of cases which experience hardware problems-thats just life-but the build quality of the macs is second to none in the laptop space IMO.

same/similar spec though?

I can't say I know what spec the lowest mac book is as I looked at the price and immediately knew it was out of my range for the deal i was after.

But the laptop I got has a gig of ram, 1.7 Ghz processor, widescreen, wireless and bluetooth built in and Vista (which i upgrated to Ultimate for free via work). Oh, and it was brand new from Toshiba so no risk of being ripped off by an evil ebayer. As I say, I don't know how that compares but I wasn't after a speed machine, just a nice light web surfer for the gf.

For me, the Mac's biggest weakness is the price for new hardware.

Edit: I don't like being called "What ever your name is" :heh:

MacBook: White

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

80GB hard drive

Combo drive

£699.00

With bluetooth, wireless upto 801.11n, 13.3" widescreen and other such nice things like OS X and iLife, built in webcam and mic, front row, remote etc

and 15% discount for HE students etc

Why should the Windows laptop match the Apple? Can't Apple offer a budget solution?

Anyway, im not sure about laptops but in the desktop world a £900 PC is better spec'd than an £1800 Mac. Laptops are far more complicated due to the number of different parts around and the slight differences between them. Although i do agree that Macbooks are some of the best laptops around

Nice specs. The laptop I got has about 80 Gigs in it too I think (it's hidden away till the birthday so I can't check but i don't think it's less than that) and it has a dvd writer too, and a SD card slot thing.

So all in all i've got a fairly similar spec machine other than the processor which pretty much kills mine! Though i'm sure many would disagree!

QF F(alse)

Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and the City!

Apple has always been trendy, just more so since OS 9 died.

Look lad, you're just getting mac started. You have your first mac for what, five months now? And you're telling me that maacs were popular ever since MacOS 0 died? Come on, macs are popular since the iPod. Since iTunes. before that, macs were just workstation computers and barely anyone mentioned them as being popular computers. Right now, macs are out-of-price-range for a regular consumer but at the same time what everyone wants - that makes them popular. Not everyone has them, but Apple iks just trendy.

Adn for God's sake Takeo, no offense, but why for bloody Hell can't Apple do anything wrong? You're trying so hard to defend Apple, it almost feels as if you're smoking your first cigarette - trust me, after a while you'll get used to it. Just stop praising Apple as if it's Created By The Great Man® (aka God) Himself - for it is not.

Macs are laptops, for God's sake, they can be just as crappy as any windows laptop. Slapping an Apple logo on top of it doesn't make it necessarily better.

Note: not my entire post was a reply to the quote, only the first paragraph - the rest is about all your recent posts concerning mac.

Look lad, you're just getting mac started. You have your first mac for what, five months now? And you're telling me that maacs were popular ever since MacOS 0 died? Come on, macs are popular since the iPod. Since iTunes. before that, macs were just workstation computers and barely anyone mentioned them as being popular computers. Right now, macs are out-of-price-range for a regular consumer but at the same time what everyone wants - that makes them popular. Not everyone has them, but Apple iks just trendy.

Adn for God's sake Takeo, no offense, but why for bloody Hell can't Apple do anything wrong? You're trying so hard to defend Apple, it almost feels as if you're smoking your first cigarette - trust me, after a while you'll get used to it. Just stop praising Apple as if it's Created By The Great Man® (aka God) Himself - for it is not.

Macs are laptops, for God's sake, they can be just as crappy as any windows laptop. Slapping an Apple logo on top of it doesn't make it necessarily better.

Note: not my entire post was a reply to the quote, only the first paragraph - the rest is about all your recent posts concerning mac.

meh

mooooo cow

I was almost going to look up your age, then I realized you'de probably act under it, so I put myself to sleep at night believing that you are a hypocrit and a child. "meh"? That's no repsonse and if that's how you respond to someone disagreeing with you, it's pafetic.

MacBook: White

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

80GB hard drive

Combo drive

£699.00

With bluetooth, wireless upto 801.11n, 13.3" widescreen and other such nice things like OS X and iLife, built in webcam and mic, front row, remote etc

I must say, my pc has very similar specs to that, and only cost me a measly £220. With a bigger screen.

I just cant understand why someone would pay so much money just because its faster/doesnt get viruses/is a mac.

I was almost going to look up your age, then I realized you'de probably act under it, so I put myself to sleep at night believing that you are a hypocrit and a child. "meh"? That's no repsonse and if that's how you respond to someone disagreeing with you, it's pafetic.

Edit: Pathetic

And i've given up, you can think what the fuck you want about me. Don't bother me none. I could debate this kinda stuff with you till i'm blue in the face but why should i?

I'm 19 btw which is still a child technically, and i'm not a hypocrit.

I must say, my pc has very similar specs to that, and only cost me a measly £220. With a bigger screen.

I just cant understand why someone would pay so much money just because its faster/doesnt get viruses/is a mac.

WOW good deal then! Esp if its a C2D.

When i was looking in the high street retailers and online i couldn't find anything similar to my MBP and £100+ cheaper.

Guest Jordan

WOW good deal then! Esp if its a C2D.

When i was looking in the high street retailers and online i couldn't find anything similar to my MBP and £100+ cheaper.

It wasn't a Core 2 Duo, it was a Sempron 64.

But, it was cheap because i built it for her. I've always said that buying a 'normal' laptop is cheaper than buying a MacBook anyway.

It wasn't a Core 2 Duo, it was a Sempron 64.

But, it was cheap because i built it for her. I've always said that buying a 'normal' laptop is cheaper than buying a MacBook anyway.

you mean one you build/tailer to your needs without going through major retailers?

Guest Jordan
you mean one you build/tailer to your needs without going through major retailers?

Ebuyer.com

Biggest online computer parts retailer in Europe... thats fairly major.

Ebuyer.com

Biggest online computer parts retailer in Europe... thats fairly major.

yeah but not mainstream, if you know computers you could do anything with a windows system and choosing the right parts for yourself. Not the usual route for people especially not when buying a laptop.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!