N-Europe

Torrents.

Caris

Disclamer I do not use torrents to download illegal files. now you don't need to lock :smile:

Anyways, my torrents are really really slow, i have heard you can tweak them but i don't know how and if it's pooible with Vista or not.

Any help guys?

Guest Jordan

What client do you use? This is a major factor. Also, make sure your upload is constantly being maxed out, this limits your upload since it clogs your connection.

µtorrent is fairly easy to setup and it shows the port you need to open on options->preferences->connection. And as shorty suggested, click on speed guide and click "test if the port is forwarded properly" button. Do this after you have forwarded the port on the router.

Go to the router manufacturer's site to find the manual for the router. It will probably have information on how to enable port forwarding on the router.

Guest Jordan

Yup, that'd be it. I think i stopped typing in mid sentence and did something else, came back to it and just retyped what i said! Thanks Odwin :)

Right, i've done all the steps bar the static IP one, do i need to do that or not?

I really don't want to make a mistake and knock my internet off...

Depends, if for some reason the ip of your pc changes (might happen when the router is reset or could happen when you reboot your pc, depends on the router's settings) But for now you can just find out what ip the router gave you. On XP you could press winkey+r, type "cmd" (without quotes), press enter, type ipconfig, press enter. And it would show the pc's ip address. Jordan will probably know if there's an easier way to find the ip on vista.

For now just using your current IP will be fine. It will show you if that will improve your speed or not. If it works, but it turns out you're constantly assigned a new IP, then follow the steps for a static IP.

Edit: And, in XP at least, if you change to static and something goes wrong, it's just a case of re-ticking the "automatically assign IP/DNS" boxes to fix it.

Sorry to bump this but I've been having the same problem. I've went through all the stages and added the service but I still get reallly slow downloads (0.2 kb/s). Do you think they may be something I've missed out?

Sorry to bump this but I've been having the same problem. I've went through all the stages and added the service but I still get reallly slow downloads (0.2 kb/s). Do you think they may be something I've missed out?

I've just noticed this thread aswell and decided to give it ago. I've also done all the stages and still getting the 0.2kb/s downloads :blank:

EDIT: Just checked my port and its "OK! Port 24203 is open and accepting connections." so i don't know whats up with it.

I use uTorrent, and in your advanced settings, change your maximum amount of connections to around 500.

You might have it set to 10; in which case, you could be connected to 10 VERY slow seeders.