NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

Bubble bobble

I have this, rainbow island and lots of other arcade games somewhere. I spent hours playing them.

I like the simplicity of these games, I remember when anyone could just pick up a gamepad and play, very accessible and fun.

Without a doubt Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands were excellent. I also saw someone slating New Zealand Story the other day, which gave me weeks of fun on the Spectrum. Bloody hard though!

Without a doubt Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands were excellent. I also saw someone slating New Zealand Story the other day, which gave me weeks of fun on the Spectrum. Bloody hard though!

Agreed, Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands and New Zealand story all on the specturum 48K were my bread and butter for playing games. All Horribly hard, and the games are more about remembering enemies patterns/locations. But thats what makes the games fun.

However, All the newer versions created by Rising star games suck big time. Rainbow Islands is unplayable with it's stupid Controls-It doesn't even feature the retro version. New Zealand story isn't to bad, and the expert mode does allow a little replay Value but it's still very much on the short side. The Bubble Bobble Version is ok, but unlimited continues takes away the challenge. Another gripe-Why the hell do NO rising stars games support download play. Just Stupid!!

Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-Move)'s better

Not a holy chance and even at that i don't know why i'm comparing them. It's like comparing tetris to super mario bros

Not a holy chance and even at that i don't know why i'm comparing them. It's like comparing tetris to super mario bros

Haha...I know.

bust a move has legendary boxarts.. like the saturn one and that ps2 one... ha wicked

Preferred Bubble Bobble over Rainbow Islands in all honesty..

Another game I was priddy good at in the arcade in my misspent youth.

Still cannot believe that I managed to get to the Level 80 bonus room.

(Popped up every 20th level you got to if you hadnt lost a life).

First version I owned was the C64 version by Firebird.

Ok, now you're scaring me 4q2.:bowdown:

Preferred Bubble Bobble over Rainbow Islands in all honesty..

Another game I was priddy good at in the arcade in my misspent youth.

First version I owned was the C64 version by Firebird.

Wow i'm impressed. i only managed to get to 60 without losing a life. what does that code at the end of the game mean anyway?

Puzzle Bubble was always better. Bust a Move 4 = best puzzle game of all time...

Ok, now you're scaring me 4q2.:bowdown:

Wow i'm impressed. i only managed to get to 60 without losing a life.

It got pretty damn easy once you got the knack...

The 'Super Bubble Bobble' Code : this will change the Bubble Bobble logo in 'Super Bubble bobble' and the game will change under several points of view : different platform colors, different order for monster appearances... The code that must be entered at the title screen to access Super Bubble Bobble is displayed at the end of the credits after you beat the game in 2 players, normal mode. The message is coded, but it hints you to enter the secret room in level 20 to get the key for decoding. If you do so, you enter the secret room, on the base of which there is an inscription. The first line is the coding of the alphabet, the other lines are coded advices to beat the final boss. The decoded 'secret message' is : SJBLRJSR (Start - Jump - Bubble - Left - Right - Jump - Start - Right)

Never used it, but there you go.

Yeah Bubble Bobble is a great game but I don't know what that video (Bomberman Land) has to do with it :)

Anyway: I hope that game makes it to the VC too...

well it used to be about bubble bobble.:) now it's bomberman land....fancy that.

NES Bubble Bobble was pure genius.

Classic game and one of my favourites.

Ok, so earlier in my thread I was very quick to point how how unhappy I was with the Rainbow Islands remake. But after showing the game to Mr Bogus on Sunday I decided to give it another whirl.

I completed it on Easy mode and unlocked nothing. Next I played it on Normal mode and cleared the 7th Island and got the bad ending. After that I replayed the game again this time collecting the Big Jewels from each Island (you have to get all 7 gems to earn a big Gem from the end boss)

This unlocked the Final 3 secret Islands. Which are all based off other Taito games (Bubble Bobble, Magicland, and Darius) Beating the 3 extra Islands got me another poor ending, so I replayed the 3 extra Islands again this time collecting 7 Gems on each Island to unlock a Mirror from each of the 3 final bosses. Beating the game with ALL 7 Giant Gems, and all 3 Mirrors unlocks the real ending and also one of the Extra Playable Characters (Mike) Who is fast, really good at using Rainbows and has a pretty decent amount of life hearts.

The game may have stupid controls and yes you are trapped in a bubble but some saving grace is

+ You can replay any level you like after you cleared the island- Just press right on the map screen to select the Island you want

+ Unlimited Continues

Now I'm going to try and complete the game with Mike to unlock the other secret Character.

GentleBen after what you showed me at the DS meetup, i never want to set eyes on it again. Having said that, i can't believe you managed to play that far to actually get the unlockables - you must feel like i did after playing Titus's Robocop, that you're probably the only person apart from the game testers who ever played it that much!

The GBA version of "Bubble Bobble Old & New" had download play (albeit only the first 12 levels off single cart) so not having download play on the DS version is a step backward. I know it's a completely different developer but they should've at least tried putting in the effort.

GentleBen after what you showed me at the DS meetup, i never want to set eyes on it again. Having said that, i can't believe you managed to play that far to actually get the unlockables - you must feel like i did after playing Titus's Robocop, that you're probably the only person apart from the game testers who ever played it that much!

The GBA version of "Bubble Bobble Old & New" had download play (albeit only the first 12 levels off single cart) so not having download play on the DS version is a step backward. I know it's a completely different developer but they should've at least tried putting in the effort.

Don't think I'm the only person to persist in completing the game 100%-I did finally unlock the other secret Character which was Violet. I also found out the Japanese version supports D-pad play as well.

I have to wonder if the developers could fit a whole 100 levels of Retro fun on a download play game?

I also found out the Japanese version supports D-pad play as well.

I wonder why only the Jap version...?! :wtf:

I have to wonder if the developers could fit a whole 100 levels of Retro fun on a download play game?

Probably on DS, there's 2MB of RAM compared to the 256k on GBA. Although with the updated graphics i'd imagine it takes up more. But nothing stopping them including the original emulated arcade version for download play!

I wonder why only the Jap version...?! :wtf:

Probably on DS, there's 2MB of RAM compared to the 256k on GBA. Although with the updated graphics i'd imagine it takes up more. But nothing stopping them including the original emulated arcade version for download play!

It's only the Classic Retro mode that supports Co-op Battle. New Age mode does feature 4 players but that's a battle mode.

All this talk makes me hungry for more punishment in the form of Bubble Bobble Double Shot. :)

Sign in to follow this