NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Ram Upgrading Causing Nothingness

Someone just installed new RAM into my brother's computer and when I try and boot it it just loads up the first screen that says "BIOS Revesion A05" with a progress bar that never moves.

Am going to try and put the old RAM back in and see if it works, but obviously I want the new RAM. Its a Dell Dimension 2400 if that helps.

Just put in the old ram and it works fine. So I checked on Dell's site and figured I'd try and upgrade the BIOS but to do so I need to save stuff to a floppy disk and really, what computer has floppy disks anymore? Urgh.

You know whats coming Ashley...

No so can we answer rather than crypticness?

You know whats coming Ashley...

Usually the bad guy unraffles his plan after this sentence. Yet you don't really seem to do this. Have you skipped class when you had a lecture by The Joker?

You sure the ram is compatible? Which version of the 2400 is it, the 400Mhz FSB model or the 533Mhz one?

Try using the second dim slot instead of the first one.

And why are you not using the 2 dims of ram at the same time?

You sure the ram is compatible? Which version of the 2400 is it, the 400Mhz FSB model or the 533Mhz one?

I dunno, I think so. Jordan said it would be. I blame him! :p

Try using the second dim slot instead of the first one.

And why are you not using the 2 dims of ram at the same time?

I was and I will. (to answer you backwards)

Usually the bad guy unraffles his plan after this sentence. Yet you don't really seem to do this. Have you skipped class when you had a lecture by The Joker?

Your a **** Jasper.

And Ashley take the Ram out and put it back in, i have had this problem before.

Probably just put the RAM in wrong or knocked something about, or didn't consider static and completely fucked your motherboard up.

What's the make of the mobo and the new ram you're putting in it? Might possibly be compatibility problems, as sometimes there's cases of certain ram not working with certain mobo's.

A Mobo is awarded to a musician who has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months.

He has a P4, which afaik still takes DDR1 400mhz ram.

And, i thought Dell didn't use machine specific memory? Ash, its probably either something to do with the slot you're putting it in, or its just not having any of it.

Probably just put the RAM in wrong or knocked something about, or didn't consider static and completely fucked your motherboard up.

That what i was thinking.

You who with the what? Urgh.

Its working now I put the old one in if that makes any difference.

If the old RAM works in both slots (or however many you've got (hee hee!)) then I'd send the RAM back as faulty.

Ok, ta for that. Will do.

(Im sleepy and so your lastfm made me chuckle. "Tool Beck, Tool Tool Beck.")

Ok, ta for that. Will do.

(Im sleepy and so your lastfm made me chuckle. "Tool Beck, Tool Tool Beck.")

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Weee wiill wee wiill ROCK YOU

no?

Right. Hes got a Dell Dimension 2400 and according to Dell he needs this. So will this and/or this be suitable? Cheers.

If I were you I'd get cpu-z and run it on his computer. In the SPD tab it tells you what type of RAM is alreasdy installed (you need to really look at whether it's PC2700 or PC3200 in the Max Bandwidth part) - based on that buy your new RAM. If it's PC3200 the sticks in your post should be fine, if it's PC2700, then you just find the equivalent in PC2700 flavour - and it'll be cheaper.

I work with dell computers, and when you change the memory the first boot always takes ages, like 5-7 mins, then it says, amount of memory has changed, press F1 to continue.

Also, the bios upgrades you can download from dell come in two flavours, the one that you run off a floppy and the easier one, which is just an .exe that you run from the desktop and it does the rest.

Hope this helps.

I work with dell computers, and when you change the memory the first boot always takes ages, like 5-7 mins, then it says, amount of memory has changed, press F1 to continue.

Also, the bios upgrades you can download from dell come in two flavours, the one that you run off a floppy and the easier one, which is just an .exe that you run from the desktop and it does the rest.

Hope this helps.

Hmm didnt load at all. Forgot about it and left it for like two hours.

Might download that bios upgrade, but using the internet on his pc crashes the rest, so will have to wait until nobody else is in.

How much ram are trying to put in again? how much is already there?

1GB. 512MB. In that order.

Hmm didnt load at all. Forgot about it and left it for like two hours.

Might download that bios upgrade, but using the internet on his pc crashes the rest, so will have to wait until nobody else is in.

1GB. 512MB. In that order.

Wait wait wait, you want it to have 1.5 in total?

Sign in to follow this