N-Europe

I need suggestions for CDs to buy/ask for Christmas. 'Cause I need new music but I don't know what to get.

So far on my list to get is Björk's Homogenic.

Need more music. Though my Last.fm thing isn't a very good indicator of what I like, as I hadn't used it in ages (and didn't have my CDs on my laptop).

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

I need suggestions for CDs to buy/ask for Christmas. 'Cause I need new music but I don't know what to get.

So far on my list to get is Björk's Homogenic.

Need more music. Though my Last.fm thing isn't a very good indicator of what I like, as I hadn't used it in ages (and didn't have my CDs on my laptop).

At least ask for Vespertine by Bjork too. But then you HAVE to have Medulla. And Post.

lol. Only non-essential Bjork album is Debut, imo. Just her weakest (still amazing).

At least ask for Vespertine by Bjork too. But then you HAVE to have Medulla. And Post.

lol. Only non-essential Bjork album is Debut, imo. Just her weakest (still amazing).

Well I'd be amazed if my parents/sisters can find any Björk albums in a store here... though I guess her albums should be easier to find than CocoRosie or Antony and the Johnsons...

But any other stuff I could look into? There's really not that many albums I own in general, so any good music suggestion I'll look into. =)

Well I'd be amazed if my parents/sisters can find any Björk albums in a store here... though I guess her albums should be easier to find than CocoRosie or Antony and the Johnsons...

But any other stuff I could look into? There's really not that many albums I own in general, so any good music suggestion I'll look into. =)

PORTISHEAD

Seriously. Though I'd start with Dummy. Classic, and more accessible then Third or their self-titled album.

GOLDFRAPP

I think you'd like Felt Mountain, their first album. Try that out. They're most popualr stuff is their dance songs, but see if you like their best album first.

LAURA MARLING

Amazing. Best debut of 2008...hell, best album of 2008! (tied with Portishead's new one)

Deerhunter, Yeasayer....just thinking in terms of fairly newish music.

Ah yeah, I remember telling myself ages ago I needed some Portishead stuff (as I quite like the songs I've heard). Also like some Goldfrapp songs but really need to listen to more.

And I'll look into the other ones you suggested. Thanks Paj. =)

Last.fm's best of 2008

I kinda hate how MGMT and Coldplay totally dominated.

I love Santogold and Foals getting recognised. And Sigur Ros' latest album.

Urgh at most of that.

Go to iTnes store, there's a bit saying "iTunes 2008: Yours and our favourites" which gives a better selections of the cream of the crop this year.

---

@EEEEEEEnuh, no problemo. :smile:

sorry but Felt Mountain is in no way Goldfrapp's best. That's crazy talk.

I hope you're talking about Black Cherry. Cause Supernature isn't as good. At all. Neither is Seventh Tree.

Black Cherry is about equal to Felt Mountain tbh.

Well it's ok. I mean...I listened to the album once through, and it was a better listen than whatever album was before it (only other one I've fully listened to), but it's a bit like a radio-friendly version of bands like Radiohead etc. That kinda soothing, disconnected vocal.

*shrugs*

I'm just not a huge fan.

I'm making a mix CD to play in my family car when we go on a trip.

Here's my track listing so far:

1. If I Were A Boy - Beyonce

2. Gloria - Patti Smith

3. Bird Gherl - Antony & The Johnsons

4. Ordinary Morning - Sheryl Crow

5. Cornflake Girl - Tori Amos

6. This Mess We're In - PJ Harvey & Thom Yorke

7. Control - Black Cherry

8. Are You Still Mad - Alanis Morrissette

9. Part Of The Furniture - Catatonia

10. Saeglopur - Sigur Ros

11. Like O, Like H - Tegan & Sara

I literally love every song on it, but I'm thinking it could be too depressing though.

Thoughts. Bear in mind I have two younger sisters, who are naive when it comes to music.

Revised, to make it more "Parent/Sister-friendly":

1. Babooshka - Kate Bush

2. If I Were A Boy - Beyonce

3. Gloria - Patti Smith

4. Ordinary Morning - Sheryl Crow

5. Be Mine! - Robyn

6. Bird Gherl - Antony & The Johnsons

7. Back In Your Head (RAC Mix) - Tegan & Sara

8. My Moon My Man - Feist

9. Control - Black Cherry

10. Are You Still Mad - Alanis Morissette

11. Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros

12. Cornflake Girl - Tori Amos

13. This Mess We're In - PJ Harvey & Thom Yorke

14. Part Of The Furniture - Catatonia

Pains me to have Hoppipola instead of a real one off Takk... but knowing my family they'll be like "Can we skip this screaming weirdo?"

Potentially could be my new favourite band:

Rosie & The Goldbugs

Actually would be so good to dance to live.

I love the lovely drummer, and the bassist is quite hot (you can't really see him in this video though)

QUESTION;

If I buy something off iTunes Ireland, for example, (I'm actually on iTunes UK), would it work?

As is, DL to my library as normal?

I believe so - I have songs which I downloaded whilst living in France and now that I'm in the UK everything still seems to work - I've only just changed my details for the account as well. It'd probably say no before you were able to download it though if it weren't the case. Give it a go!

Thanks, I tried...but my account wasn't valid outside of the UK store... *is sad*

Aw sucks :( I suppose that makes sense - thinking back to it I was using my French bank account for itunes back in the day....sorry to have been no use! What are you trying to get anyways?

When I posted, I wasn't sure, but then I was gonna get Lady GaGa's album, which annoyingly isn't out her until January.

But I eased my pain by buying Lamb's self-titled album, and Leona's Run cover.

*must stop buying music*