NEurope

It's interesting, I had a similar phase. When I found myself more into jazz, I discovered the alternative acts of hip-hop. I agree it's a very over-criticized genre, as many people don't realize the alternative acts bear little resemblance to the mainstream acts. An interesting group for me to listen to was The Last Poets, a late 60s, early 70s street-poetry-over-background-rhythms group considered one of the earliest influences to hip-hop, very politically charged. Apparently they're still in existence, though I've never heard anything later than the 1970 album. It's nice to hear the roots.

As for blues, I really don't have any experience with it, now that I think about it. I think I'll check out some of the artists you mentioned.

You should listen to their second album, This Is Madness, it's just as good as the first. I don't know what happens after that coz I only ever listened to those first two albums.

Robert Johnson & John Lee Hooker are my highest reccomendations. :D

And Oxigen good to see another member of this board, who shares my knowledge for true hip hop... The Infamous is indeed a classic album cos it captures that dark sound that surrounded eastcoast hip hop in the early 90's, but you need to check out these cds too - all at the fore front of concious and real hip hop's finest creations... Conceptual, musically classy and lyrical masterpices all part of the list

OC - Word Life

Common - Ressurection

Organized Konfusion - OK

Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx II

Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Group Home - Living Proof

Souls Of Mischeif - 93 Till Infinity

Brand Nubian - One For All

Ras Kass - Soul On Ice

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

Outkast - ATLiens

Blackstar - Blackstar

Del The Funky - Deltron 3030

Smiff N Wessun - Dah Shinin

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures

Little Brother - The Minstrel Show

Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe

Onyx - All We Got Is Uz

Artifacts - Thats Them

Sticky Fingaz - Black Trash

Dead Prez - Lets Get Free

GZA - Liquid Swords

AZ - Doe Or Die

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary 2

Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and The Soul Brother

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

Big L - Lifestylez Of Da Poor and Dangerous

MF Doom - MM Food

Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Pac - Me Against The World

Big - Ready To Die

Nas - Illmatic

Kool G Rap - 4,5,6

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Murs - 3:16 9th Edition

Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full

Cunninlynguists - A Piece Of Strange

Cormega - Tha Realness

J5 - Power In Numbers

Fuck thats a good 30 albums. If the ignorant people to Hip Hop listened to any of this music, god there perception would change...

Hey Hobb, you know what, even though there are some things on that list that I hate, like Raekwon's solo album or De La Soul, I can see we have similar tastes. Just one little thing: All We Got Is Uz is ok, but Bacdafucup is better. You have to agree with me on this one. :D (And I hate B.I.G.)

And you're missing Ice Cube's first two solo albums.

Oh, and Hellfire, I forgot Jurassic 5. :D Bizarre... I mean, Quality Control and their first LP are near perfect albums. :D

The only criticism I can really direct at hip-hop is that most (I did say most, not all) acts release one good album and then go down the drain, quality-wise. There are exceptions, of course. Like the band mentioned above, for example.

Edit:

Anyone who speaks Portuguese (I think) want to tell me the lyrics to this song?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8mZh3MHhA

It's really not worth it. I mean Bonde Do Role's lyrics are totally random and absurd. :D Did you know that "Solta O Frango E Vem Com A Gente" Means "set the chicken free and come with us"? :D

What I don't get is why Hip Hop artists feel the need to spell everything wrong.

Stereotyping Number 1...

I was waiting for it :D

TBF..

Biggie is ridiculously overrated, but Ready to Die is a great album... And Backdafuckup is the more hardcore album, All We Got Is Uz is the better album. I just find it more versatile and underrated... Plus its the cd where Sticky really elevated

Amerikkkaz Most Wanted is up there by Ice Cube though, without a doubt. Still check out the albums on my list, if you like Jurassic 5, you will LOVE the roots...

I'm assuming Amerikkkaz is a reference to the KKK or summat but still no need for the z.

Yeah, you just gotta love The Roots. I'd probably say Phrenology is my favourite album of theirs, it just goes off in so many different directions and keeps your attention. Do You Want More? is on the stereo on the moment, goes well with the weather.

some things on that list that I hate, like Raekwon's solo album or De La Soul

Say wha'? Hate De La Soul, how can such a thing exist. ::shrug: Although admittedly stuff after 3 Feet High and Rising isn't up to much.

Stereotyping Number 1...

I was waiting for it :D

Maybe, but that's irrelevant, probably because it's true; they do.

Any of you listen to Deep Purple?

They make pure awesomeness

I love Deep Purple, I got a compilation for cheap a few months ago.

LOL at "They". Stop with the ignorance, the whole genre isnt a slang circuit :)

But yeah my friend saw Deep Purple at Wembley Arena, boy was I jealous...

You know what I meant. I was just asking why, to see if there actually was a half decent reason for it.

I listen to them occasionally, "Palaces..." and "Ashes..." are both classic albums.

Snails see the benefits

The beauty in every inch

Oh why, why, why, why, why

Are you quick to kiss?

Baby, maybe I spoke too soon

I’ll touch you once you make the first move

Snails see the benefits

The beauty in every inch

The Format - Snails

One of my favourite The Format songs. (ignore the poor quality live recording). Its just so happy and nice. I mean look at the lyrics! "Snails see the benefits/the beauty in every inch of life."

Im so peeved (yes, peeved) that I can't get a chance to see them when im in America.

I'm loving Birthday by the Sugarcubes. I think I'll buy Life's Too Good soon.

I know I'm about 20 years too late. :p

I'm loving Birthday by the Sugarcubes. I think I'll buy Life's Too Good soon.

I know I'm about 20 years too late. :p

That's a true Björk fan, there.

so, like, Talking Heads shit on just about every band on the market today. Everyone needs Stop Making Sense

It's clearly all about Slippery People and This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)

That's a true Björk fan, there.

Was that sarcastic?

The Leper Affinity is just ten minutes of pure undiluted musical genius. Seriously, It's like an orgasm in my ears.

Was that sarcastic?

No. It wasn't, rest assured. : peace:

The Leper Affinity is just ten minutes of pure undiluted musical genius. Seriously, It's like an orgasm in my ears.

Well, it's in Blackwater Park, so... It only makes sense :heart:

Well, it's in Blackwater Park, so... It only makes sense :heart:

My Opeth obsession has reached a new high these past weeks :p.

Oh, I forgot to ask, how did Ithyphallic grab you?...Listening to it again, it seems a lot more direct and brutal than anything else Nile have done, they cut out all the intro/ambient type tracks.

My Opeth obsession has reached a new high these past weeks :p.

Oh, I forgot to ask, how did Ithyphallic grab you?...Listening to it again, it seems a lot more direct and brutal than anything else Nile have done, they cut out all the intro/ambient type tracks.

That's just it, it isn't very Nile-ish... but it's still the best death metal around. I can live with it. :D

My two recommendations for the day. Tricky-Back to Mine and The Fall- I am kurious oranj. That is all.

So are we all agreed that At the Drive-In were fucking awesome.

I'm surprised. Despite or usual disagreeing, we can still agree pretty strongly sometimes, huh? :grin:

Tori Amos is funny.

American Doll Posse is quite a good album. (I've never heard any of her other stuff)

I know need America's Sweetheart by Courtney Love and Live Through This by Hole to complete my Hole/Courtney Love obsession.