NEurope

See, most of that is good jazz. Such a thing is rare indeed. Theres a fine line between jazz thats too cheesy and far too obscure and difficult.

See, most of that is good jazz. Such a thing is rare indeed. Theres a fine line between jazz thats too cheesy and far too obscure and difficult.

Good point. Jazz is a tricky subject, exactly because of that... it's extremely easy to give in to foolish random composition and pretend you're a genious. Truly enjoyable Jazz is a distant memory that sometimes, however rarely, comes back to haunt us.

I always liked Jazz, but now it's different, Coltrane and Mingus made me take it to the next level. I am now officially obssessed with John Coltrane and Charles Mingus, and therefore, worship them without questioning. My god, the depth of their songwriting is... mindblowing.

Okay...I'm intrigued. Reccommend me some tracks, if you're not too busy.

Heard a lot of Davis, but not much of Coltraine or Mingus.

*Sigh*...when you're a musician you tend to become preoccupied with learning to play in the styles of the musicians you love and less time exploring genres...

ALSO:

I'm really really really really getting into Jazz lately. Charles Mingus is a f***ing genious! And so are Miles and Coltrane! Damn, I finally understand!

About time if you ask me ;)

It's hard to find really good Jazz, I mean you can probably find some that's nice on the ears, but most of it is just a mess. Not just Jazz, Blues and Big Band too.

Okay...I'm intrigued. Reccommend me some tracks, if you're not too busy.

Heard a lot of Davis, but not much of Coltraine or Mingus.

*Sigh*...when you're a musician you tend to become preoccupied with learning to play in the styles of the musicians you love and less time exploring genres...

Ok, it's actually very simple...

Download these albums by:

John Coltrane

- Giant Steps

- A Love Supreme

(download both, as they're both excellent).

Charles Mingus

- Mingus Ah Um

- Black Saint And The Sinner Lady (if you have to choose between the two, this is the one to choose).

EDIT:

Plus, check this out:

Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

About time if you ask me ;)

It's hard to find really good Jazz, I mean you can probably find some that's nice on the ears, but most of it is just a mess. Not just Jazz, Blues and Big Band too.

Ah, but that's just it, I've always loved Blues and Big Band, Jazz was a curiosity, something a bit more distant I knew too little about. Well, now I'm really excited to hear it and dwelve in it. It's fantastic.

Miles Davis is the main man when it comes to Jazz music. Great music to listen too

I would agree if it weren't for Mingus and Coltrane, believe me, I would. I mean, Kind Of Blue is one of the bet records I've ever heard, goddamnit!

EDIT:

Just cause it used to be your avatar, I just re-listened to A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory... and it still stands as one of the finest moments in hip-hop history. =D

Mesuggah are pretty cerebral, and tend to make intelligent music, mostly appreciated by musicians (and Oxigen Waste o_0 :heh:)

Opeth are just plain amazing in every way though, they're emotive, beautiful, and almost every other positive adjective I associate with music...your comments about them are just so sad and pitiable.

MCR are totally clueless. They're totally boring and ordinary, and in every song you can predict what's going to happen next. They have no sense of melody or any sense of anything that can be incorporated into music to make it evocative or involving or challenging.

As for Droning Bellow, I assume you're referring to crap like Cannibal Corpse. Don't worry...I think they're shit too ;). But sometimes, the music isn't about the vocals at all...take Children Of Bodom. The Vocals are the one thing that don't add anything to the experience...but thats irrelevant because musicianship is so mind blowing that you end up not giving a shit.

When you say...incomprehensible, I say so fucking what? The great thing about music is that it's mostly sounds that we don't associate any meaning to, yet it still can have an amazing effect on us. Some music needs lyrics, and thats fine, some music may or may not have lyrics, but doesn't need them, which is something you need to understand.

The last thing I want to say to you is that music is an evolving and progressive experience...trust me, there will probably (if you are half as intelligent as I think you are) come a day when MCR won't satisfy you, just like there came a day for me a long time ago when I realised that The Offspring and System of A Down weren't really as interesting as I thought.

There are only a few people on this forum who really have a good of what music is and should be; I can list them on one hand.

OK. :smile:

I think I just don't like that kinda metal. I know some music doesn't need lyrics, and it's amazing by itself, but I don't get the same feeling I do from listening to the bellows of extreme metal music as I do from ambient techno or classical.

I know I'll outgrow MCR, but I don't see what's wrong with them.

Subject of the day:

Ithyphallic.

I picked this up this morning, and it's been on constantly. I am nothing short of blown away...I think it's a cut above "Annihilation of The Wicked" and is a truly fantastic piece of work.

It doesn't sound quite the same as Nile's classic sound...like on "Shrines.." or "Catacombs," without any of the awesome egyptian wailing...more most notes that aren't tremelo picked tend to be harmonised with their fourths...gives a very metal sound.

10/10

My vote for album of this year so far...

Also: I was reccommended Gojira by a friend, who gave me the From Mars to Sirius album to listen to, and I can only say that it's a bit shit. Well...they're a French band, what can you expect? :heh:

Album of the year?

Strangely enough I am actually hooked to the Pure Pwnage soundtrack, more than any album that's come out this year. The tunes on it are catchy, to say the least, and addictive if you grt in to them.

They're also comedic, and thus right up my street :P

How awful are the nominations for the Mercury Music Award this year:

Arctic Monkeys - 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'

Klaxons - 'Myths Of The Near Future'

Amy Winehouse - 'Back To Black'

Maps - 'We Can Create'

The View - 'Hats Off To The Buskers'

Jamie T - 'Panic Prevention'

Dizzee Rascal - 'Maths & English'

Bat For Lashes - 'Fur And Gold'

Young Knives - 'Voices of Animals And Men'

Fionn Regan - 'The End Of History'

New Young Pony Club - 'Fantastic Playroom'

Basquiat Strings - 'Basquiat Strings'

Literaly nothing there that is above average at best. Although I struggle to think of a British album from the last 12 months that is better then average. Forward Russia! possibly meh.

ah come on Noodles!

Bat for Lashes gets my vote.

Im also a fan of the Views album, Klaxons and Jamie T! So any of them would be a good winner in my opinion.

The View album was awful, Jamie T was alright but hardly groundbreaking. The Klaxons annoy me. Bat For Lashes was alright. Arctic Monkeys blatantly going to win despite being shit.

Maps - 'We Can Create'

Literaly nothing there that is above average at best. Although I struggle to think of a British album from the last 12 months that is better then average. Forward Russia! possibly meh.

that album should win.

Maps - 'We Can Create'

Any of them should win IMO.

I love Myths of the Near Future. I own Amy Winehouse's and The View's albums but not given them much listening to. Can't stand Arctic Monkeys but seeing as everyone bums them they'll probably win.

I'm in a Spoon mood again after listening to their new album again.

Ok, it's actually very simple...

Download these albums by:

John Coltrane

- Giant Steps

- A Love Supreme

(download both, as they're both excellent).

Charles Mingus

- Mingus Ah Um

- Black Saint And The Sinner Lady (if you have to choose between the two, this is the one to choose).

EDIT:

Plus, check this out:

Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

What? What is this? Someone who practically recommended the same jazz I would've recommended? This is such a rare thing to find, to see these albums named off by someone that's not me. :heart: :heart:

It's so nice to find another fan of jazz, especially someone who's willing to explore Mingus and Coleman. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady has to be one of my favorite albums of all time, though I know for some people it's a little bit too much Mingus to handle as their first album, so I generally let people hear Mingus Ah Um first.

Out of curiosity, have you heard the band Orange Then Blue? It was a lesser known jazz band from Boston led by George Schuller in the early 90s, which I consider the a great extension of Mingus's style: creative and progressive big band. I recommend the album "While You Were Out" if you're interested. It's a bit of Mingus + some worldly influences, so if you want to hear a song that's Indian jazz, check this out.

Subject of the day:

Ithyphallic.

I picked this up this morning, and it's been on constantly. I am nothing short of blown away...I think it's a cut above "Annihilation of The Wicked" and is a truly fantastic piece of work.

It doesn't sound quite the same as Nile's classic sound...like on "Shrines.." or "Catacombs," without any of the awesome egyptian wailing...more most notes that aren't tremelo picked tend to be harmonised with their fourths...gives a very metal sound.

10/10

My vote for album of this year so far...

Also: I was reccommended Gojira by a friend, who gave me the From Mars to Sirius album to listen to, and I can only say that it's a bit shit. Well...they're a French band, what can you expect? :heh:

Well, can't wait for it to finish downloading, to decide if it's worth my bucks or not. Damn you for having it already. =/

As for Gojira, it's a love it or hate it thing. I love them. Both From Mars To Sirius and The Link are, as far as I'm concerned, modern metal masterpieces. But I forgive you (as in, I understand) for not liking them. :D

What? What is this? Someone who practically recommended the same jazz I would've recommended? This is such a rare thing to find, to see these albums named off by someone that's not me. :heart: :heart:

It's so nice to find another fan of jazz, especially someone who's willing to explore Mingus and Coleman. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady has to be one of my favorite albums of all time, though I know for some people it's a little bit too much Mingus to handle as their first album, so I generally let people hear Mingus Ah Um first.

Out of curiosity, have you heard the band Orange Then Blue? It was a lesser known jazz band from Boston led by George Schuller in the early 90s, which I consider the a great extension of Mingus's style: creative and progressive big band. I recommend the album "While You Were Out" if you're interested. It's a bit of Mingus + some worldly influences, so if you want to hear a song that's Indian jazz, check this out.

Well, it's a matter of taste, I guess. I just love complex musicianship and songwriting. The one you can listen to tirelessly, in wich you always find something new with every new audition. Specially Mingus. He's... I really cannot describe him as anything short of a genious. :grin:

As for Orange Then Blue, I'm not that much of a Jazz connoisseur, so it'd be a tad impossible for me to have heard of such an unknown act. I will, however, download the album you mentioned, if you like it, taking your taste into consideration, I think I'll be expecting something I can remember for years to come. Mingus + World Music = :love: .

--

Also

I think I'm entering some sort of weird Black-music phase. All I listen to all day long is Blues, Jazz and Hip-Hop.

As for Jazz, I've already spoke my mind... but Blues? I can't really decide wich of the two I like the most.

I mean, Blues? There's so much good stuff on offer... Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Professor Longhair, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Bobby Bland, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Albert King, John Lee Hooker and, of course, B.B. King, among many, many others... It's such an immense genre!! And the worst part is that it's mostly GREAT stuff. *sigh*... I feel like I don't have enough time to savour all of this brilliant songwriting the way I really should.

And then there's hip-hop. It's such an over-criticized genre, really. With albums such as Mobb Deep's The Infamous, A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, Cypress Hill's Black Sunday, Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang or even more recent stuff like Jedi Mind Tricks' Violent By Desing or albums from artists like Nujabes or Necro, it's hard to really say that hip-hop is not as good as any other genre. I mean, The Infamous is probably one of my 10 favourite albums ever... it's so f*cking brilliant. And you know... it's true what Mobb Deep say, when people diss hip-hop, most of the times they're uninformed bastards who are, indeed "Scared to look. They shook."

Ah... I'll just shut up and go to bed.

EDIT:

Oh, and remember:

ain't no such things as halfway crooks.

Klaxon's can. categorically, fuck off.

How do you categorically fuck off? Or do you mean they are uncategorisable?

On the Jazz/Blues front I love Miles Davis, Coltraine, B.B King, John Lee Hooker, The Seatbelts and for rap- Nujabes, Jurassic 5 and Jedi Mindtricks are on my playlist at the moment.

Anyone else find Like This by Kelly Rowland strangely hypnotic?

Also

I think I'm entering some sort of weird Black-music phase. All I listen to all day long is Blues, Jazz and Hip-Hop.

As for Jazz, I've already spoke my mind... but Blues? I can't really decide wich of the two I like the most.

I mean, Blues? There's so much good stuff on offer... Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Professor Longhair, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Bobby Bland, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Albert King, John Lee Hooker and, of course, B.B. King, among many, many others... It's such an immense genre!! And the worst part is that it's mostly GREAT stuff. *sigh*... I feel like I don't have enough time to savour all of this brilliant songwriting the way I really should.

And then there's hip-hop. It's such an over-criticized genre, really. With albums such as Mobb Deep's The Infamous, A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, Cypress Hill's Black Sunday, Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang or even more recent stuff like Jedi Mind Tricks' Violent By Desing or albums from artists like Nujabes or Necro, it's hard to really say that hip-hop is not as good as any other genre. I mean, The Infamous is probably one of my 10 favourite albums ever... it's so f*cking brilliant. And you know... it's true what Mobb Deep say, when people diss hip-hop, most of the times they're uninformed bastards who are, indeed "Scared to look. They shook."

Ah... I'll just shut up and go to bed.

EDIT:

Oh, and remember:

ain't no such things as halfway crooks.

It's interesting, I had a similar phase. When I found myself more into jazz, I discovered the alternative acts of hip-hop. I agree it's a very over-criticized genre, as many people don't realize the alternative acts bear little resemblance to the mainstream acts. An interesting group for me to listen to was The Last Poets, a late 60s, early 70s street-poetry-over-background-rhythms group considered one of the earliest influences to hip-hop, very politically charged. Apparently they're still in existence, though I've never heard anything later than the 1970 album. It's nice to hear the roots.

As for blues, I really don't have any experience with it, now that I think about it. I think I'll check out some of the artists you mentioned.

Concrete Schoolyard by Jurassic 5, is quite perhaps one of the best songs I have ever heard...

Yeah, it's really great. In fact, I'm going to dig it up right now and listen to it : peace:

I haven't listened to Nas in a gazillion years, I used to all the time when I was a kid :p

I never heard about most of the bands you posted.

Hobbiznio you should listen to Nujabes, he's a great DJ, but also has musics in collaboration with some rapper, he makes the best beats I've ever heard.