• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

I was really dissapointed. (a the hard-fi song)

As I said. It was a catchy little diddy but nowhere near as good as stuff from their first album. Still, shall wait to see what their new album is like.

A) you listen to Avril so shush.

B) Bonde Do Role

Thats such a wierd song, its awesome.

and umm, yeh well, you shush. (apologies, but i'm tired and coudn't think of anything even remotly clever)

;500794]As I said. It was a catchy little diddy but nowhere near as good as stuff from their first album. Still' date=' shall wait to see what their new album is like.[/quote']

yeh, well if it is anywhere near as good as the first I'll be happy.

Everyone's entitled to their musical tastes. Music is an artform. You wouldn't say, "Oh, you like Andy Warhol, LAME!", so you can't dismiss someone's music tastes. You can not like the artist in question, but at least let others like what they want.

I love music in general. I like all genres, with Rap being my least favourite, simply becuase theres often no originality, beat or good tune. But I can't say "I hate rap". Because I don't.

I love oddities (like Bjork, who is a genius, yes) but I also love mainstream people like Avril, MCR, Madonna (depends what style though) etc. All of whom are put under different genres.

I think Music is such a personal thing, it's awful to have people dismiss it totally.

---

In other (music related) news;

- I got Siouxsie and The Banshees - Once Upon A Time, Alanis Morrissette - Under Rug Swept, the Cabaret soundtrack and the Animatrix soundtrack.

There were only 4 songs on the Siouxsie album I didn't have, but it was cheap so i got it anyway.

Everyone's entitled to their musical tastes. Music is an artform. You wouldn't say, "Oh, you like Andy Warhol, LAME!", so you can't dismiss someone's music tastes. You can not like the artist in question, but at least let others like what they want.

I love music in general. I like all genres, with Rap being my least favourite, simply becuase theres often no originality, beat or good tune. But I can't say "I hate rap". Because I don't.

I love oddities (like Bjork, who is a genius, yes) but I also love mainstream people like Avril, MCR, Madonna (depends what style though) etc. All of whom are put under different genres.

I think Music is such a personal thing, it's awful to have people dismiss it totally.

---

In other (music related) news;

- I got Siouxsie and The Banshees - Once Upon A Time, Alanis Morrissette - Under Rug Swept, the Cabaret soundtrack and the Animatrix soundtrack.

There were only 4 songs on the Siouxsie album I didn't have, but it was cheap so i got it anyway.

I totally agree with you. No-one should insult someone else because of their musical taste, you can say you don't like it, fine, but judging someone on taste of music is stupid.

Everyone likes different things, you can't choose what you like the sound of.

If you could understand the lyrics, it would be 100 times funnier/better. :D

EDIT:

Solta o frango e vem com a gente. = Set the chicken free and come with us.

I totally agree with you. No-one should insult someone else because of their musical taste, you can say you don't like it, fine, but judging someone on taste of music is stupid.

Everyone likes different things, you can't choose what you like the sound of.

Usually, and this is an almost 100% percentage, if you have a mediocre taste in art, you ARE:

a)a mediocre person;

b)not mature;

If you could understand the lyrics, it would be 100 times funnier/better. :D

Usually, and this is an almost 100% percentage, if you have a mediocre taste in art, you ARE:

a)a mediocre person;

b)not mature;

and you know this because you've spoken to and know the tastes of every human being on earth? Thought not.

In your opinion someone might have a mediocore taste in art, whereas in their opinion you might. Liking certain things doesn't make a person immature, how they act is what defines that. I was in an old people's home, and they all liked the "bob the builder" track (true story :), don't ask), does that mean all those 70/80 year olds are immature? No.

a)a mediocre person;

b)not mature;

Really?

Well, I think I'm pretty mature for my age. If I compare myself to other people in my peer group, i'm 100 times more mature than many. And it's insulting to be called a mediocre person by someone who has never met me, and never will. How dare you presume that about someone?

and you know this because you've spoken to and know the tastes of every human being on earth? Thought not.

In your opinion someone might have a mediocore taste in art, whereas in their opinion you might. Liking certain things doesn't make a person immature, how they act is what defines that. I was in an old people's home, and they all liked the "bob the builder" track (true story :), don't ask), does that mean all those 70/80 year olds are immature? No.

No, they're just stupid. They grew up in a conservative world wich deprived them of a sensible judgement and a proper knowledge in how to deal with art. At least the majority of them.

My dear, I'll put this simply: there is bad music and good music. You can like bad music. I love some bands wich, I admit, ARE BAD MUSIC. I just don't get this attitude of yours that "everything I like is good, or at least in my world".

Just because you like/enjoy something doesn't mean it's good, now does it?

One must admit that there is good and bad. Avril sucks. In every possible way, but you're free to like her anyway. (everybody knows that McDonalds is a bad "restaurant" but everybody likes it nonetheless)

I won't expect you to agree with this, but then again, it's only natural, you're still at a point where quality is a standard that is defined by YOUR standards... wich is a misconception.

Really?

Well, I think I'm pretty mature for my age. If I compare myself to other people in my peer group, i'm 100 times more mature than many. And it's insulting to be called a mediocre person by someone who has never met me, and never will. How dare you presume that about someone?

You're 15. I rest my case. Just read the reply I gave to Haggis.

AND TO THE BOTH OF YOU

The more you are exposed to different forms of art, the bigger and deeper your understanding of any particular form you're exposing yourself to gets. I used to love Linkin Park. They were one of my favourite bands and I was ready to fight without holding back for their musical genious and hounor.

But... eventually, I started listening to other stuff and kept on leaping from stone to stone and suddenly realized: wow, how imature was that (and I don't mean mentally, I mean in your knowledge of music, in this case).

You must at least admit this: Avril Lavigne is a cheep artist. She writes mediocre mainstream music. It's okay to like it... looking at how much she sells, I'd say there are plenty of people who like it... The point is: do you really gonna be one of those persons? It's fantastic to see such devotion to a perfectly bumpless life. You wanna be just another stray cat in the crowd? Go ahead! If not, well, the clock's ticking, and the world is waiting for you to take it.

EDIT:

Off to bed.

Again, just because you're older doesn't give you the right to say that I like everything I like just because I'm 16.

I don't think there is bad music no, because just because I don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't, its just the fact I myself don't. I've listeneed to many typed of music and liked many different types since I was really young, but throughout changing my tastes I've not stopped liking avril lavigne's music, infact I would say I like it more now than before.

And, I'll repeat, just because you think you listen to more "mature art forms" and think someone I like is "CHEEP" doesn't actually make them that. You just keep usuing your age to try and make us all sound immature and frankly its pissing me off. Maturity isn't the things you like, its how you act.

So that fact I like aril lavigne, that makes me immature? Ok so what if I liked, I don't know, mozart, would I then be "mature" by your standards? This is a joke.

Your tastes in art are a direct reflection of who you are as a person.

You like cheap music, really, it's cheap because no thought goes into it and it's easy for the average, musically immature mind to understand and enjoy.

There is no depth to Avril Lavigne, everything that her music consists of is apparent on the surface, there's nothing that will make you think, no signs that any heart or attention went into the music.

I don't mean any offense by it, I'm just saying what I think. I say it because I'm guessing that music is nothing more than a casual distraction for you.

Again, just because you're older doesn't give you the right to say that I like everything I like just because I'm 16.

I don't think there is bad music no, because just because I don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't, its just the fact I myself don't. I've listeneed to many typed of music and liked many different types since I was really young, but throughout changing my tastes I've not stopped liking avril lavigne's music, infact I would say I like it more now than before.

And, I'll repeat, just because you think you listen to more "mature art forms" and think someone I like is "CHEEP" doesn't actually make them that. You just keep usuing your age to try and make us all sound immature and frankly its pissing me off. Maturity isn't the things you like, its how you act.

Dumbass. You know why I keep using your age as an excuse? Cos I was once your age and I was just like you. That's why. And guess what? I said the exact same thing you're saying when someone told me what I told you.

And even more: out of all the arguments I gave you, all you could muster yourself to look at is the age issue, wich is like... one sentence in the whole post and the insistance that "NO, IT'S NOT BAD MUSIC BECAUSE I LIKE IT OR SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE IT".

It doesn't work that way. No matter how hard I like Last Days Of Humanity, nothing will ever change the fact that they are, indeed, a BAD band.

And you know what? I'm not using my age... I'm using the fact that I AM more knowledgeable than you about music. And that, my friend, is a fact. I've been around, musically, that is. You haven't. It's that simple. As with everything, the more you want to know, the more you do know.

And just to prove a little point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td_qoFZmuAU

This is a good song because I like it. Is that how it works? It's now officially a good song?

NO! This is still musically shameful. That is NOT gonna change, no matter how many people like it.

In music, as with everything, there's good and bad. Wether you like good or bad stuff is a personal issue. What I love is that you can't admit that you like bad stuff. I can! I love a lot of bad bands. So what? What's the big deal?

- I said I was mature for my age. I did that for a reason. I didn't say I was mature for people above my age.

- I said Music is an art form. And it is. If someone likes it, doesn't that make it good in their mind?

- And, I'm not "A stray cat in the crowd". This is funny because it all comes back to the fact that YOU DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT ME. I'm the only person in my entire school who actually dares to be different, and I get shit from the younger immature fuckwits. I dyed my hair black, I have it over my eyes. I stuck the v's up when they forced me to become an RAF cadet. (Just so you know, i have immpecable manners, and am extremely kind) I pride myself on being different.

As Haggis said, there are many things in life we can't choose. Music/Art taste, Sexuality, basic appearance etc. Things that shape us as humans.

I don't give a flying fuck if Avril Lavigne is going round people houses flogging her albums. I don't buy her music for her personality. I buy it because I like her music (generally). By the same token, I wouldn't care if Bjork were lighting up the charts and selling truckloads. It doesnt matter to me. I like the music. People should get over themselves.

In no way does Avril suck, IMO. I like her songs, especially the rockier ones, and I love her voice. But I'll repeat, music is art, so you don't have to like her.

I'm not even that big of an Avril fan! It just grates on me when people are so randomly opiniated.

EDIT: I think, after thinking about it, that it comes down to my uncanny ability to like most music. I'm listening to the Animatrix soundtrack, with it's very "deep" beats and shit, and I love it, but I think I enjoy jumping around to easy-to-access pop-rock too. I don't think I'll think to myself in 10 years "What was I thinking?", becuase as I said, I think I'm pretty unique in my musical taste. (lol sounds boastful, not trying to be)

I'm over it anyway. This'll never go anywhere. Age is a big factor. I'm full of "teenage angst" and raging hormones while you (don't actually know how old you are) probably aren't. Personality clash.

Your tastes in art are a direct reflection of who you are as a person.

You like cheap music, really, it's cheap because no thought goes into it and it's easy for the average, musically immature mind to understand and enjoy.

There is no depth to Avril Lavigne, everything that her music consists of is apparent on the surface, there's nothing that will make you think, no signs that any heart or attention went into the music.

I'I'm not going to say you're wong becuase thats you're opinion and what not but what if i can realate full to some of her songs, for instance 1 called tomorrow she wrote wile her grandfather was ill, Its a pretty moving song, especially when she perfoms it just after he died.

Or Unwanted, about being pushed away by someone friends and them pre-judging you.

Thats why I like her, because I can throughly relate to some of the songs.

But I don't know why this has gone onto a convo about avril lavigne as such, it was oxigen waste saying someone medicore as a person because they like mediocre arts (which are mediocre in his opinion).

- I said I was mature for my age. I did that for a reason. I didn't say I was mature for people above my age.

- I said Music is an art form. And it is. If someone likes it, doesn't that make it good in their mind?

- And, I'm not "A stray cat in the crowd". This is funny because it all comes back to the fact that YOU DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT ME. I'm the only person in my entire school who actually dares to be different, and I get shit from the younger immature fuckwits. I dyed my hair black, I have it over my eyes. I stuck the v's up when they forced me to become an RAF cadet. (Just so you know, i have immpecable manners, and am extremely kind) I pride myself on being different.

As Haggis said, there are many things in life we can't choose. Music/Art taste, Sexuality, basic appearance etc. Things that shape us as humans.

I don't give a flying fuck if Avril Lavigne is going round people houses flogging her albums. I don't buy her music for her personality. I buy it because I like her music (generally). By the same token, I wouldn't care if Bjork were lighting up the charts and selling truckloads. It doesnt matter to me. I like the music. People should get over themselves.

In no way does Avril suck, IMO. I like her songs, especially the rockier ones, and I love her voice. But I'll repeat, music is art, so you don't have to like her.

I'm not even that big of an Avril fan! It just grates on me when people are so randomly opiniated.

And exactly, its an art form, so stop forcing your opinion down our throats and blatently saying we're wrong because we like a certain artists songs. (I mean oxigen waste)

we're not randomly opinionated though. Her music is bloody awful. Therin lies the reason to our opinion...

lol, I wasn't saying you have to like the music, thats not my point. (Just thought i'd straighten that out). I just mean just becayse someone likes something doesn't make them instantly immature or "mediocre".

If you say something is good, you should be able to defend it and say why it's good, with real tangible reasons. What does it do for you!?

You can't simply say that because you like it, it's good. If you think your music taste is the shit, prove it, defend it in argument.

All you guys are doing right now is clinging to the futile and rather fucking immature notion that everything everyone listens to is great, just because they like it. There's always going to be someone liking something, fuck, there are people who like 50 Cent and Aiden, does that mean that he's good? No, all it means is that they've got a neurological problem.

Get over yourselves, and this masturbatory idea that your opinions are immortal, you're only doing it so you can be satisfied, and not have to think about what you like, or why, and that, is the saddest thing of all.

If you say something is good, you should be able to defend it and say why it's good, with real tangible reasons. What does it do for you!?

You can't simply say that because you like it, it's good. If you think your music taste is the shit, prove it, defend it in argument.

All you guys are doing right now is clinging to the futile and rather fucking immature notion that everything everyone listens to is great, just because they like it. There's always going to be someone liking something, fuck, there are people who like 50 Cent and Aiden, does that mean that he's good? No, all it means is that they've got a neurological problem.

Get over yourselves, and this masturbatory idea that your opinions are immortal, you're only doing it so you can be satisfied, and not have to think about what you like, or why, and that, is the saddest thing of all.

I did defend my taste in my earlier post.

I don't like 50 cents music, but that doesn't make the music bad just because I don't like it does it?? If you think it does then surely there's some sort of superiority complex going on?

Even without knowing nothing about you, I just saw through you, how great is that? Why did you mention the colour you dyied your hair to show just how "daring" you are? That's going the wrong way amigo! Nonetheless...

I like the fact that you don't give a flying fuck... but, and I'll repeat myself here:

"IMO"... IT'S NOT A MATTER OF OPINION. Your opinion is not absolute. Your choices, however, are (at least in your life)... and that's why you're superior to haggis... coz you don't give a fuck if it's good or not and still like it anyway. Haggis is whining because he insists that if he likes it, it's good, no matter what, "because there are people who like it and that's what matters".

And exactly, its an art form, so stop forcing your opinion down our throats and blatently saying we're wrong because we like a certain artists songs. (I mean oxigen waste)

Kid, HOW DUMB CAN YOU GET?

I'll repeat this one last time:

I don't care if you like Avril, you're not "wrong" for liking her, however, the fact that you like it does NOT,in any way, mean that she is a good musician. You're confusing the concept of quality with the concept of taste. They are not "one and only", no! They're very distinctive things that sometimes walk hand in hand.

Got it, whiz kid?

oh, ok. Sorry for thinking she's good.

Again with the quality issue.

Fact: You like Avril Lavigne.

Fact: That does not mean she is a good artist.

Even without knowing nothing about you, I just saw through you, how great is that? Why did you mention the colour you dyied your hair to show just how "daring" you are? That's going the wrong way amigo! Nonetheless...

I like the fact that you don't give a flying fuck... but, and I'll repeat myself here:

"IMO"... IT'S NOT A MATTER OF OPINION. Your opinion is not absolute. Your choices, however, are (at least in your life)... and that's why you're superior to haggis... coz you don't give a fuck if it's good or not and still like it anyway. Haggis is whining because he insists that if he likes it, it's good, no matter what, "because there are people who like it and that's what matters".

Kid, HOW DUMB CAN YOU GET?

I'll repeat this one last time:

I don't care if you like Avril, you're not "wrong" for liking her, however, the fact that you like it does NOT,in any way, mean that she is a good musician. You're confusing the concept of quality with the concept of taste. They are not "one and only", no! They're very distinctive things that sometimes walk hand in hand.

Got it, whiz kid?

Again with the quality issue.

Fact: You like Avril Lavigne.

Fact: That does not mean she is a good artist.

I never once said she is a good musician just because I like her. I said the fact you don't like her doesn't make her a bad one and make me mediocre and immature for liking her.

so please refrain from calling me dumb

Yeah, I agree I got caught up in he moment, and didn't actually say what it does for me.

I'd basically reiterate what Haggis said about relating.

There are people who like 50 Cent and Aiden, does that mean that he's good? No, all it means is that they've got a neurological problem

That right there is what I hate.

I love Candy Shop, but that doesn't mean I have a neurological problem.

I can just as easily say;

"There are people who like Mastodon and Metallica, does that mean that he's good? No, all it means is that they've got a neurological problem."

I can say i'm right. Becuase you're too immature musically. Expand your tastes a bit. Whatever.

Music is so subjective, I think it's pointless having strong feelings and saying they're "right", because theres always someone to "disprove" you.

I like Avril, you don't. Fine. Just don't assume you're in the right. (Edit: And I won't assume I am, either)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!