N-Europe

Star Trek (2008)

Cube

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just should use CG and use Shatner to play all the roles and as a grande finale he should sing a few songs of his career as a musician.

Didn't know you were interested in Star Trek - cool. But if Shatner plays all the roles the whole budget will be wasted because his shirts get ripped apart all the time. I think that was actually the real reason why TOS ended after three seasons. They simply couldn't afford more shirts.

In an interview Quinto confirms that Anton Yelchin (Alpha Dog) will play Chekov.

More and more I start to have faith in the movie, especially because Nimoy had so much praise for the script. It's a bit disappointing though to see them restarting Star Trek somewhat. I'd like to see them after the end of Voyager.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Kirk: Mike Vogel (Rumour)

Spock: Zachary Quinto

Spock: Leonard Nimoy

Chekov: Anton Yelchin

Uhura: Zoe Saldana

Sulu: Unknown

McCoy: Unknown

Scotty: Unknown

Unknown: Karl Urban

Plot (rumour)

The Romulans (from after Nemesis) go back in time, and decide to wipe Kirk & Co from history. Spock also goes back in time and works with the Enterprise crew (including himself) to stop the Romulans.

Isn't that kind of similar to First Contact? ie. EXACTLY the same?

Similar, yes (then again, both are "similar" to Terminator). But there will probably be a lot more timey-wimey stuff in this one, what with Spock meeting himself. Plus it'll be more ship-based than FC.

Very true, but I'd say FC was pretty ship based and if that plot rumour is true it'll be pretty much identical. Not saying it's a bad thing but...

"Borg go back in time to stop creator of warp speed thefore crippling Federation"

"Romulans go back in time to stop Kirk therefore crippling Federation".

Hopefully as you say it'll have as many dis-similar plot devices to not make it a problem. Quite looking forward to this one, not seen any of the old crew trek films so might have to watch those first I guess.

Wrath Of Kahn then first Contact for me. Im a big trek nerd myself, watched all of the series. Infact im watching an episode of DS9 as I type this.

Bet your happy Virgin 1 are starting showing DS9 now.

When Sky had it they hardly ever used it, and it is by far the best Trek show.

Yeah I am happy, although im getting closer to owning all the DS9 dvds soon so it wont mean as much to me. Still apparently Virgin 1 has the rights to all the trek shows so I can watch those other ones until ive got them on dvd aswell

Yeah Virgin have the rights to everything but TOS, but it looks like they'll be just showing one show at a time from the telly guide for next week, not like Sky did having 2 or 3 running at once.

• 2 weeks later...
US, October 11, 2007 - The new Scotty and Sulu have been beamed up. British comedic actor Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) has been cast as Chief Engineering Montogomery "Scotty" Scott in the new Star Trek movie, while John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle) has been cast as helmsman Hikaru Sulu.

The film will reunite him with director J.J. Abrams, who directed Pegg in Mission: Impossible III. The Hollywood Reporter adds that Captain Kirk's parents will also be characters in the film and are yet to be cast. Also not yet cast is the role of Captain Christopher Pike, the Enterprise's first captain.

The role of Scotty was originated on the small screen by the late James Doohan, while George Takei (Heroes) played Lt. Sulu.

The Paramount picture begins filming next month for a Christmas 2008 release date. The script was penned by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

The Trek cast includes Eric Bana, Anton Yelchin, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Leonard Nimoy. Chris Pine is considering the key role of Kirk.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/826/826851p1.html

Simon Pegg as Scotty, that sounds so wrong.