N-Europe

No New Info For GDC

Dante

If I flame ZeldaFreak, I know for a fact that I will get backlash from certain members that dislike me, more so than if someone else did it. So, I am fighting in my mind whether to put him on my ignore list, and make all the crap wash away, like spiders in a drain. Hmm...

I doubt anyone's gonna have a go at you for flaming ZeldaFreak, praise you and want to make love to you, yes, but flame.... no!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they didn't. Gaming has always been cool, it just depended on who you asked.

To a lot of people, gaming is just as geeky (arguable, it's worse) as it was 10 years ago.

Yes they did, gaming's not as geeky when you add garage and bedroom coders making games. They(Sony) managed to remove quite alot of stereotypes of people playing videogames. But I would love to hear your views on why its more geeky now.

Oh Tellyn888 you don't want to do that.

I doubt anyone's gonna have a go at you for flaming ZeldaFreak, praise you and want to make love to you, yes, but flame.... no!

No offence but I know a few people on this forum that would ;)

If I flame ZeldaFreak, I know for a fact that I will get backlash from certain members that dislike me, more so than if someone else did it. So, I am fighting in my mind whether to put him on my ignore list, and make all the crap wash away, like spiders in a drain. Hmm...

Flaming is just not cool, man. It's better to be civil and just kick some arse through a war of facts.

Yes they did, gaming's not as geeky when you add garage and bedroom coders making games. They(Sony) managed to remove quite alot of stereotypes of people playing videogames. But I would love to hear your views on why its more geeky now.

I think gaming is still seen as a male/teenage boy, thing. In that respect, it hasn't changed all that much since the last gen. Sure, 'older' gamers and girls now play gaming systems more than they did 10 years ago, but I don't think Sony are entirely responsible for that. Look at the market for the Game Boy, for example. Quite a high female fanbase.

There have been changes, like gaming is now generally talked more about in the media (although, not always for the right reasons cough jack thompson cough). That's good, but it's still not good enough. The stereotype now is that all teenage boys like flashy graphics, xbox, and games where you can kill the bejesus out of everyone.

So yeah, it may have killed a few stereotypes, but a lot more have been created since.

My mom used to play Pacman on arcade and NES, but she'd never play a normal console like GC or PS2 for long periods of time, yet she plays and even buys games for DS, and play's Wii.

So yeah, classic gaming is geeky... It's just that there are more geeks today than there were when I was a kid.

It wasn't sony that removed those stereotypes, it's just that home gaming was broadcast in the mid 80's, when sony launched it's consoles there was already a big userbase for them, people that grew up playing them and all, so of course it would be more accepted and more "normal" than it was in the 80's.

That's only one of the reasons though, games based on films, tv publicity, even the internet... are important reasons aswell, but bare in mind that IMO most of these would happen even if sony wasn't into gaming.

Oh Tellyn888 you don't want to do that.

No offence but I know a few people on this forum that would ;)

Don't want to put you on my ignore list?

Flaming is just not cool, man. It's better to be civil and just kick some arse through a war of facts.

I put in my post that I wouldn't flame. Many a times have I kicked arse with my vast knowledge of... erm... arse kicking knowledge.

I'd say that Nintendo have done more to change gaming stereotypes in the past couple of years than Sony have ever done!

I agree. They have put more variety in their games and have been unafraid to try out new ideas. Sony have done something similar, but their campaign was to appeal to older gamers. That backfired when 9 year olds everywhere became fanboys and remain fanboys to this day. The same 9 year olds that were hooked on GTA and other violent games, which were made to appeal to the older generation. Nintendo however, made a range of games, some of which could be played more by some age groups than others. But the point is that they were willing to do new things. Sony just followed the crowd.

Oh cause I was under the impression that Singstar sold millions of units - to a higher female audience.

Oh and Fierce if your going to pick a group I would say like Microsoft said the 'normal' gamer who buys games is an 18-30 year old male.

Although I like gimicky games they just don't have the lasting appeal one me as blasting some zombie/pschopath in the head.

Oh cause I was under the impression that Singstar sold millions of units - to a higher female audience.

Oh and Fierce if your going to pick a group I would say like Microsoft said the 'normal' gamer who buys games is an 18-30 year old male.

Although I like gimicky games they just don't have the lasting appeal one me as blasting some zombie/pschopath in the head.

I never said Sony were without their innovations, but Singstar came very late in the console's life. I'll give them their due with EyeToy though. To be honest, I just can't credit them with anything else though.

On topic: arent we supposed to be talking about the fact that this is a games developers conference and nothing ever gets shown for consumers at these events.

But announcements made to developers can still be relevant to the consumer. Take the alleged unveiling of Sony's Home functionality, for instance. That's something that developers need to hear so they can integrate and make use of the new functionality into their software, but it is also something of interest to gamers.

Similarly, new games can be unveiled as a byproduct of such announcements by being flagship titles for a service — remember Microsoft using Forza 2 as an exemplar of Live Anywhere integration.

GDC isn't a stand in for the E3 that was, but it isn't all shaders and normal mapping either.

But announcements made to developers can still be relevant to the consumer. Take the alleged unveiling of Sony's Home functionality, for instance. That's something that developers need to hear so they can integrate and make use of the new functionality into their software, but it is also something of interest to gamers.

Similarly, new games can be unveiled as a byproduct of such announcements by being flagship titles for a service — remember Microsoft using Forza 2 as an exemplar of Live Anywhere integration.

GDC isn't a stand in for the E3 that was, but it isn't all shaders and normal mapping either.

Yeah your right its not all shaders and normal mapping. Its algorithms, for loops, while loops, conditional statements, bump mapping vertex shaders, open gl, directX sdk, and stuff like that.

Yeah your right its not all shaders and normal mapping. Its algorithms, for loops, while loops, conditional statements, bump mapping vertex shaders, open gl, directX sdk, and stuff like that.

It's interesting how you always sidestep other people's points. Why feign a want for discussion if you're so convinced you hold the definitive view on... well, everything?

It's interesting how you always sidestep other people's points. Why feign a want for discussion if you're so convinced you hold the definitive view on... well, everything?

Because it makes life more interesting I have my views, both definitive and loose views. I know from what my lectures have said about GDC and what it is to know what gdc is about.

And yes GDC will never be like old E3, and not even the new E3(show in july), and it will always remain true to developers the only consumer announcements made at GDC concern devlopers aswell.

Because it makes life more interesting I have my views, both definitive and loose views. I know from what my lectures have said about GDC and what it is to know what gdc is about.

And yes GDC will never be like old E3, and not even the new E3(show in july), and it will always remain true to developers the only consumer announcements made at GDC concern devlopers aswell.

Yeah we are all very aware of your views ZeldaFreak you keep ramming them down our throats.

I imagine new E3 will not be like old E3 either but thats the point.

Hey thats a stroke of sheer genius man - "GDC will remain true to developers" - No shit Sherlock - and how did you deduce that hmmmm I thought the D in GDC stood for Disco :bouncy:

I've said this before ZeldaFreak - you could cause an arguement in an empty room - must be that winning personality of yours of course I'm just saying that because it makes life more interesting I have my views, both definitive and loose views :laughing: .

:mad:

Yeah we are all very aware of your views ZeldaFreak you keep ramming them down our throats.

I imagine new E3 will not be like old E3 either but thats the point.

Hey thats a stroke of sheer genius man - "GDC will remain true to developers" - No shit Sherlock - and how did you deduce that hmmmm I thought the D in GDC stood for Disco :bouncy:

I've said this before ZeldaFreak - you could cause an arguement in an empty room - must be that winning personality of yours of course I'm just saying that because it makes life more interesting I have my views, both definitive and loose views :laughing: .

:mad:

Hmmmmm

I fucking know that, the point I'm making if you are listening is that people are expecting consumer announcements - and I'm saying their won't be any dumbass.

Do you actually stalk me on these forums just to post shit when you know nothing.

Why on earth can people not have a strong view on these forums before being bashed to hell

Hmmmmm

I fucking know that, the point I'm making if you are listening is that people are expecting consumer announcements - and I'm saying their won't be any dumbass.

Do you actually stalk me on these forums just to post shit when you know nothing.

Why on earth can people not have a strong view on these forums before being bashed to hell

oooh touched a raw nerve have I???

For your information I've been gaming since before you were an itching in your daddies y fronts so don't try and tell me I know nothing.

It's not your strong views we don't like on here it's your whole attitude thats out of whack. You cannot seem to understand you don't know everything.

But hey - what the fuck do I know eh? - nothing according to you.

:laughing:

oooh touched a raw nerve have I???

For your information I've been gaming since before you were an itching in your daddies y fronts so don't try and tell me I know nothing.

It's not your strong views we don't like on here it's your whole attitude thats out of whack. You cannot seem to understand you don't know everything.

But hey - what the fuck do I know eh? - nothing according to you.

:laughing:

I have been gaming for a long time also.

Ok you can't have an attidude either :indeed:

Com'on guys. Don't make this thread another disaster.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions no mater how stupid it is, but don't force it upon others. And if you want to prove you are right do so by quoting and showing facts. Not flaming other members.

And you guys are awfully of topic. Lets try to keep this thread about "no new info for GDC" and rather create a new thread if you feel you need to prove something.

And Zeldafreak, don't forget your stubborn attitude got you banned from the 360 thread a while back. I'm not saying that you are wrong. But don't flame other members for not thinking like you do.

And everyone, we do have an ignore feature her on the N-europe forums. Don't flame back.

Com'on guys. Don't make this thread another disaster.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions no mater how stupid it is, but don't force it upon others. And if you want to prove you are right do so by quoting and showing facts. Not flaming other members.

And you guys are awfully of topic. Lets try to keep this thread about "no new info for GDC" and rather create a new thread if you feel you need to prove something.

And Zeldafreak, don't forget your stubborn attitude got you banned from the 360 thread a while back. I'm not saying that you are wrong. But don't flame other members for not thinking like you do.

And everyone, we do have an ignore feature her on the N-europe forums. Don't flame back.

Hey all I said was hat people are expecting consumer announcements from a developer conference. I also said implied that E3 pressconferences are for the consumer news and GDC keynotes are about what tools will help games look better in the next year, then Cookyman started to flame me.

Come on DiemetriX

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!