N-Europe

That's it, latest screenshots of The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, are they kidding?

Social

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games of this quality should be turned away. They only degrade the system, or any system that can do better.

Or at least be told to better it, or it won't be published. I mean what the hell are their bosses thinking that this could be even considered for "Gold", hey look at Mario Galaxy 'nough said.:blank:

Maybe its all just one big conspiracy.

How does a game go from great to shit looking despite better hardware?

Well for a start Res Evil 4 was in development for what four years? GF: Blackhand has had something like a year to 18 months dev cycle. The budget for each would have been significantly different, given that RE was intended from the start to be a remiagining of the series; GF is just a port. Plus i'm sure RE had a bigger art team working on it, whereas GF would have consisted of a team in charge of porting the title, then another to implement Wii controls, therefore the graphics won't be any different to the PS2 version due to sharing art material.

Game development, especially in terms of graphics, isn't quite so easy as 'they can't even be arsed to make great graphics' you have to consider things like budgets and team sizes which is why, i'd wager, the early wii third party games have looked so poor (that and the quick dev-cycle).

I'm hoping the initial batch of third party games have sold just enough for Publishers to give the next set more respectable budgets.

Well for a start Res Evil 4 was in development for what four years?

If you take the fact they they totally scrapped the game and started from scratch 3 times, it wasn't actually that long.

Game development, especially in terms of graphics, isn't quite so easy as 'they can't even be arsed to make great graphics' you have to consider things like budgets and team sizes which is why, i'd wager, the early wii third party games have looked so poor (that and the quick dev-cycle).

TBH, I think that's one of the great things about the Wii - developers don't have to compete for graphics...I think we'll see plenty of "hidden gems" on the Wii. On the PS3/360, power it it's main advantage, and some developers may find the power daunting - and may just use inefficient models just to use up the power.

More and more polygons ain't the future - the efficiency of the graphics will probably start to count for more and more in the future. Working to a very limited "budget", and amount of polygons can churn out some lovely things that don't use up a lot of resources.

Take Super Mario 64 DS. The Mario looked much better than in the original, but in fact it used less polygons.

If you take the fact they they totally scrapped the game and started from scratch 3 times, it wasn't actually that long.

The game structure and level design may have gone through several iterations but the art catalogue wouldn't have gone through the same drastic changes. There were a lot of textures in the final build that were fairly generic (not intended to be read as 'crap') and therefore easily interchangeable (wood/brick textures for example). Character models and some environments may also have been reused but as there were only brief glimpses of the early versions you can take that as pure conjecture.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!