N-Europe

Julian Eggebrecht: Wii developers are sloppy

Dante

This trend so far could cause a bit of a dillema!

- Lazy games and ports sell on Wii - trend continues

- Lazy games and ports don't sell on Wii - third party's may lesson support!

However, if the Wii is much easier to develop for and costs are so much lower, I can't see the excuse for not producing at least top end Gamecube graphics, because even that would be much cheaper than developing a 360/PS3 game! and the extra work they put into the Wii game would be rewarded in higher sales!

Or,

A) Quick ports and experimenting with controls = team that knows what works before tackling a big, brand new IP.

B) Jumping right at a brand new IP = a game that costs a lot of money and takes longer to come out, with the risk of having botched controls.

I think at this point a lot of devs want to play around with the system and test the water. Some things are gonna work better than other things, and a lot of it is gonna incorporate as many different uses for the Wiimote as possible (hence mini game compilations to the max). The DS saw a similar trend, though ports weren't quite the issue there.

Once devs start to compete with similar control schemes, the race will put an emphasis on other tech aspects again. Time is gonna fix all of your issues, just be patient.

Or,

A) Quick ports and experimenting with controls = team that knows what works before tackling a big, brand new IP.

B) Jumping right at a brand new IP = a game that costs a lot of money and takes longer to come out, with the risk of having botched controls.

I think at this point a lot of devs want to play around with the system and test the water. Some things are gonna work better than other things, and a lot of it is gonna incorporate as many different uses for the Wiimote as possible (hence mini game compilations to the max). The DS saw a similar trend, though ports weren't quite the issue there.

Once devs start to compete with similar control schemes, the race will put an emphasis on other tech aspects again. Time is gonna fix all of your issues, just be patient.

Yeah very true, I remember saying in another thread that trial and error was bound to be a key aspect of Wii design at the moment; as developers really get to grips with the Wii-mote, what works and what doesn't!

Completely true. I kinda forgive these sloppy developers for the rush to get the games ready for launch, but it will anger me to see any of this in the future. There just needs one good looking game for wii that will make these developers try harder.

Eggebrecht certainly has a point there.

After all they did these things with a GC launch title - sure they were involved in the developement of the GC but still that was five years ago.

With the extra power of the Wii Rogue Leader like graphics should be doable by every developer.

I fear that many devs only realised very late that the Wii could actually be a success and with Nintendo holding back some of their killer apps it's better to bring the product to market sooner than later (at least before Ninty rolls out the big guns). I mean with the mixed reviews Red Steel got it certainly would only have sold a fraction of what it did if there was Metroid Prime 3 at launch.

And the ongoing "gameplay over graphics" argument from Nintendo fans almost is a warrant to developers to not put much effort into the graphics.

Seems like the majority of development time is now going into control rather than presentation. They don't exactly have unlimited time and funds for these games. Maybe when developers start getting used to creating control schemes with the new controller we'll see more time spent in the look of them.

Seems like the majority of development time is now going into control rather than presentation. They don't exactly have unlimited time and funds for these games. Maybe when developers start getting used to creating control schemes with the new controller we'll see more time spent in the look of them.

That is a sensible comment.

The whole situation is a bit catch 22.

The point is if the Wii wasnt trying to use its motion sensing capabilities and just making games to a high graphical standard there would be people throwing in comments of disappointment over that reason....

The Wii is new territory in this sense and it needs to be experimented with explored for that capability.

I still believe if the concept is played right it will advantageous to the whole video game experience.

Yeah very true, I remember saying in another thread that trial and error was bound to be a key aspect of Wii design at the moment; as developers really get to grips with the Wii-mote, what works and what doesn't!

Yeah well when games are being developed they test their games and get feedback on controls. Some developers listen and some don't, they could incoporate research time in the development cycle. But most studios don't want to because they want their money now.

StarWars002.jpg

scr_057.jpg

:hmm:

Bear in mind that the bespin level in Rogue leader at times had sub-N64 framerate...

But yes, the Wii-games mostly look terrible...

StarWars002.jpg

scr_057.jpg

:hmm:

Bear in mind that the bespin level in Rogue leader at times had sub-N64 framerate...

But yes, the Wii-games mostly look terrible...

I mean, don't you think that GT Pro series would've really been seen as a Wii-equivelant to Gran Turismo if it would've looked like this:

org.jpg

The game on the picture is PGR2 BTW

He's totally right, it's not just being sloppy, sometimes it's really weird to see such graphical level. Like they were being paid by someone to do it. I'm not inmplyng this is the case, just that it's ridiculous. But hey, Factor 5 always goes for the strongest hardware so they'll stick with PS3, devs just need to get off their asses.