NEurope
Myke Greywolf

New Wii Firmware version available: V2.1E

Don't take me the wrong way, I don't mean any harm, but I think what you should be asking is what's the point with the news channel, in stead of eagerly awaiting for it... Honestly, I don't understand why people are so eagerly awaiting this, as they were for the Weather one... Don't your hometowns have newspapers? Or news broadcasts on the TV? Or better yet, if you have the internet to update the Wii, you have internet to browse news and weather forcasts, I presume...

Why is it that suddenly people "need" the Wii for these trivial things that they already have?

I distinctly remember Nintendo fans (in which I am included) saying, a few years back, that what matters are the games, in response to Sony's and MS's machines multimedia capacities. So why are Nintendo fans suddenly "whoring" over news and weather?? Shouldn't we (yes, we, the Nintendo fans) be whoring over Zelda and all the other magnificent games Nintendo give (sell) us?

You want weather, here's one of the sites I have in my favourites:

http://www.accuweather.com

Just choose your city and country and you're good for it. :)

Concerning numbers in your signature. PS3 has really sold over one million units?

Don't take me the wrong way, I don't mean any harm, but I think what you should be asking is what's the point with the news channel, in stead of eagerly awaiting for it... Honestly, I don't understand why people are so eagerly awaiting this, as they were for the Weather one... Don't your hometowns have newspapers? Or news broadcasts on the TV? Or better yet, if you have the internet to update the Wii, you have internet to browse news and weather forcasts, I presume...

Why is it that suddenly people "need" the Wii for these trivial things that they already have?

I distinctly remember Nintendo fans (in which I am included) saying, a few years back, that what matters are the games, in response to Sony's and MS's machines multimedia capacities. So why are Nintendo fans suddenly "whoring" over news and weather?? Shouldn't we (yes, we, the Nintendo fans) be whoring over Zelda and all the other magnificent games Nintendo give (sell) us?

www.accuweather.com

I agree with you that we, as in the Nintendo fans that love Zelda and browse these kind of forums, shouldn't really care about a service we can see online easily enough. But I do still think they're good features. Nintendo wanted a system that would appeal to the family, which is part of the reason the controller is a remote. They want it to be something your dad will turn on in the morning while eating breakfast and check the news with. It's a noble idea really, but it's not likely to replace TV and the internet. I think they should be working on more important things.

Concerning numbers in your signature. PS3 has really sold over one million units?

I don't really care, I just put up that sig so I could follow the numbers at first, but they are wrong and way off the mark, so I'll just delete it now. dorky.gif

I can't confirm if my Freeloader worked before the update (there are a good few scratches on it but nothing that should stop it from being read) but i can say that it doesn't work now, guess i'll have to re-buy RE4 or get the cube out again! :blank:

http://www.accuweather.com

Because there's a useless Channel on my Wii menu that I want to be of use. Also, it gives you a feeling of a complete Wii if you know what I mean.

And another thing,

Why the hell do we have to manually update it?

Isn't that meant to be what the whole WiiConnect24 shabang was for.

Well, by the sound of things, it's not entirely essential, but I think they do that if you might have to turn your console or internet off soon, which could cause problems like bricking.

By requiring the user to select an update it stops malicous software being put onto the Wii over Bluetooth, wirelessly or other routes.

It's a simple security thing- and barely takes a minute of your life.

I'd rather have a choice than a bricked Wii because some funkster.

It doesn't apply so much to the Wii but the DS had a little trojan that hopped from DS to DS when WiFi mode was enabled and it bricked your DS. The writer apologised.

From IGN

It's been a little quiet on the Wii-dashboard updates front, with mystery surrounding the next channel update. As of yesterday, PAL Wii owners who are connected to the internet would have received a very minor and low-key update - not directly related to the channels - offering parental controls and fixing a few minor 'issues'.

Of these, the handy exploit allowing PAL users to change regions and access Turbo Grafx games only released in Europe has been addressed. A word to the wise, however - it's probably not a great idea to tinker with your regional settings anymore, lest you lose your Wii Points entirely.

Expect more updates in the coming months as Nintendo addresses small problems that tend to crop up over time. That said, those waiting for proper PAL 60hz Virtual Console titles might have to wait a little longer.

Here some clarification about firmware and OS: A firmware is like a driver, like I said before. It 'drives' the CD or DVD inserted and no more than that. It translates the codes of the discs into images, literally. it can do this with any type of media, though. An Operating System is changable and can be interacted with. An OS doesn't jus trun a CD or a DVD, it interprets it and has many other uses, like Wii CHannels has. That's a little more clarification.

The latest update is kinda lame - as if it actually meant something. I think the Channels are lacking right now. The Idea was great, the execution should have more charm. Ah well, let's wait for E3 or EforAll for new Channels.

the updated whas for the Parental advisory option

Every update so far said "Hey, now you can enable parental blablabla" - I guess Nintendo developers are too lazy to remove the message.

Here some clarification about firmware and OS: A firmware is like a driver, like I said before. It 'drives' the CD or DVD inserted and no more than that. It translates the codes of the discs into images, literally. it can do this with any type of media, though. An Operating System is changable and can be interacted with. An OS doesn't jus trun a CD or a DVD, it interprets it and has many other uses, like Wii CHannels has. That's a little more clarification.

Not exactly. Firmware is software written in a flash device in the hardware. The software could be anything but is typically some sort of low level device management software (e.g. BIOS). In the Wii's case, the OS is stored in firmware along with other device drivers for the peripherals and media storage. Updates to the firmware of a Wii could change the OS, the device drivers or both.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'It translates the codes of the discs into images'

And a driver is a driver, not firmware.

I'm annoyed at this update, my VC games still don't work with my component cable (i.e. blank screen). No, I'm not the only person with this problem: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=70745&category_id=40&forum_id=1

Well Nintendo, as cartman would say- you can suck my balls.

Say goodbye to those 500 points you would have had come July, because I'm not paying for a crippled web browser- if I want to watch old BBC shows paid for my on licence fee- such as Doctor Who then I will.

Bye bye monies, bare pirates would have paid just to watch cartoons and shows on their TV.

I don't want to get into the technicalities of whether you think these sites are wrong, or illegal.. or whether you think I should just buy the DVD.

It is a question of freedom- something that is a right online, and Nintendo has no right to censor what I want to see on Wii.

yeah it is annoying, I didnt try any family guy streaming sites but at least we still have youtube and at least it actually views videos unlike a certain other browser on another nintendo console

AllUC.org streams everything from South Park to Adam and Joe Go Tokyo.

I just get a white screen now, I imagine all the others have been blocked too.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'It translates the codes of the discs into images'

And a driver is a driver, not firmware.

But a firmware is extremely hard to explain. My nephew had trouble pinpointing it oo, but he could asure me it isn't an OS. The best way to view a firmware is a driver - that's what he said. but not literally. it's not a BIOS at all. A BIOS is a BIOS, a firmware is different from that. It's extremely hard to define, but it isn't a BIOS or and OS. It's sort-of-a driver.

Well Nintendo, as cartman would say- you can suck my balls.

Say goodbye to those 500 points you would have had come July, because I'm not paying for a crippled web browser- if I want to watch old BBC shows paid for my on licence fee- such as Doctor Who then I will.

Bye bye monies, bare pirates would have paid just to watch cartoons and shows on their TV.

I don't want to get into the technicalities of whether you think these sites are wrong, or illegal.. or whether you think I should just buy the DVD.

It is a question of freedom- something that is a right online, and Nintendo has no right to censor what I want to see on Wii.

AllUC.org streams everything from South Park to Adam and Joe Go Tokyo.

I just get a white screen now, I imagine all the others have been blocked too.

Nope I've just checked the site which I also use for everying TV related and its working fine on my Wii...: peace:

How bizare, I was going to find a random episode of South Park while I eat my breakfast and it was like fail.

I put two and two together and assumed.

Perhaps it was their server/banned me.

How bizare, I was going to find a random episode of South Park while I eat my breakfast and it was like fail.

I put two and two together and assumed.

Perhaps it was their server/banned me.

try a proxy?

+ streaming + already less than great WiFi signal because it is not mine + Daily Motion servers + Wii Opera

= Messy business.