Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

k this is kinda mac related, apple related in the least, i'm having to restore my pc due to various crashes and also i'm getting a macbook in a month. here's my problem which is probs very easily solved. . . getting my music back on a fresh install of itunes from my ipod. i really cant be arsed with copying over 20 gig of music to DVD so . . .

what software both for mac and pc do you suggest to do this?

Bluetooth might be a possibl technology, though getting 20 gigs over it takes a long while. maybe you could connect both computers using FireWire or get a wireless network running between both to fetch all your music files and copy them to your Mac?

A hard disc could be your help here - a DVD isn't always re-rippable (there's a slight problem with DVD's - it could be written and read, but not always copied (errors)). Try something like that. Though the wireless solution is probably the best.

• 2 weeks later...
i think he wants a laptop.

i honestly think you should go for the pro if you have the money

i do neeeeeed it to be portable, only thing stopping me from doin as caris suggests and getting an iMac. i'm going to japan in 2008, travelling back and forth between manchester and birmingham as well.

i wanted a reliable PC which led me to apple and os x. i love the look and styling of the macbook series but that f*in graphics card may hamper my enjoyment of the only game i really use my pc for- wow.

Edit: So i've decided today i'm getting the 15" 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. I'm getting it with 1 Gig RAM to see how it runs, it should run everything pretty well and if needs be i'll add another 1 GIG in as it comes with one free ram slot :D

Thats me sorted then :)

anyone actually pay to use .Mac?

I'm getting a Mini today :D :D :D :D :D

make sure you get an Apple keyboard as there are some differeces between them and PC key boards

about .Mac i don't use it because you can't chose the url but i do use iWeb which is quite a nice program.

though my dad uses .Mac so i'll ask him.

make sure you get an Apple keyboard as there are some differeces between them and PC key boards

Don't worry mate, I got a nice shiny Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse to go with it. I didn't want my scummy old ones sitting next to my sexy new Mini which, by the way, has now arrived and is fantastic :D :D :D

Not getting into the Mac vs PC thing but this bugged me; "I feel like Apple is not just selling computers, they're selling a way of life". Yes, its called brands. Companies sell brands. Brands represented ideals, ways of life etc. Macs are a brand, just like Windows is, Sunny D is and Durex is.

At least we have valid arguments...

You know, there's something about this Mac vs. PC thing - nobody can accept that Macs just do some things better. The argyment about iTunes is totaly unneccesarry - it just didn't work on his PC. He thinks of Mac-defenders as stupid and dumb, yet the best professional application al started on Mac. let me tell you why Macs are so simple: because Apple wants windows-users to join in the mac way of life - if you convert a muslim to christianity you don't start with telling them Jezus' entire life - you start by helping them on the way. I'm sorry, but this entire 'article' is about the biggest bullshit ever. Yes, there are things that go wrong on macs (I've gad my fair share), but we're dealing with computers and advertisement. Did Microsoft say "We have a feature called Blue-Screen-o-Death in Windows 98é when they marketed it? No, they focused on the good things.

Thing is, this article confuses advertising with logics. 'You don't make friends with salad', to say in Simpsons terms. Off course Apple spreads the word about being the best - it's what every fricking company does. Everybody on this board has heard of the Videogame-war, no? It's not like Nintendo is actually saying "it's no High-Defenition, so buy it!" - au contraire, they're saying 'We've got innovative controls, buy it!'. Don't confuse advertisement with facts and you've got your thing going.

And the license agreement: check Windows' license agreement. It's always best to get it in there and it's not like you can make nuclear weapons with iTunes - but it's a safety clausule keeping the company safe from any of those accusations - no matter what. It's just the standard apple license agreement, you're not allowed to use MacOs X for that purpose, either - and be sure that Microsoft doesn't want you kicking around with Marine-equipment, either.

I feel like getting a refurbed Macbook as I could do with a laptop next year.

Why refurbed? you get student discount on laptops et al, as you probs know.

i'm buying brand new because, no difference between refurbed and not imo and i'm getting it with 3 years APP and buying from the apple store so i can just take it back and let them deal with its problems, if and when i have any. so i'm kinda doing it for the piece of mind i won't be left on a 28 hours phone call to India basically.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!