Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're asking what's better it would be a MacBook Pro. But if you're not into video-editing I'de go for a normal Macbook - they're cheaper and they've got a good hardware configuration. The color of course is different, too, but you pay a price for it.

I'm afraid that I'm not a petrol head so I don't know which is better. I know that Kia is the car that cares and Ferrari's are Italian (arent they?) so it just depends what sorta money you're willing to spend and what you need it for. ::shrug:

As for the Mac question - Macbook Pro's are nice pieces of kit, it seems a pity to me that they cost as much more than a Macbook as they do.

I'm afraid that I'm not a petrol head so I don't know which is better. I know that Kia is the car that cares and Ferrari's are Italian (arent they?) so it just depends what sorta money you're willing to spend and what you need it for. ::shrug:

As for the Mac question - Macbook Pro's are nice pieces of kit, it seems a pity to me that they cost as much more than a Macbook as they do.

You kind of answered your own question there. The MBP is obviously 'better', it's just a question of whether you can afford it or not, and whether you actually need it. Personally, I have an two year old iBook G4 and it does me just fine :)

actually a better comparison would be sunfires to hummers seing as hummer and pontiac are both part of gm and mac books and macbookpros are both made by apple.

anyway if you have the money but the pro

the screen is way better

there are more ports on the side

pro's are more durable because of the metal case

you have way more speed so you can keep like 10 programs open at once and still be running at full speed

macbook pro's are the best laptops on the market at the moment (until apple's next "pro" laptop comes out)

trust me if you have the money get the pro

actually a better comparison would be sunfires to hummers seing as hummer and pontiac are both part of gm and mac books and macbookpros are both made by apple.

anyway if you have the money but the pro

the screen is way better

there are more ports on the side

pro's are more durable because of the metal case

you have way more speed so you can keep like 10 programs open at once and still be running at full speed

macbook pro's are the best laptops on the market at the moment (until apple's next "pro" laptop comes out)

trust me if you have the money get the pro

Apparantly, you don't really get it. The screen is the same, accept the size of it. There are more ports, you're right. Durability is a lie - the Metal you see isn't a casing, it's painted. The casing of the macBookj and MacBook Pro have the same durability - they're both made of polycarbon, except that the MacBook ons is white and the pro one is metal spray-paint. And about way more speed - yes, if you are going to edit films it's true, if you're going to chat, email, edit photo's and run a conference call to your advertisement agency, then no. Macs are incredibly stable and have minimised slowdown, even on the non-pro series. If you buy Pro, though, you'll get what you want: professional stuff - wich means making you own home film is in there, and - and this is the msot seperating, but easiest to crack feature - the option to have to screens acting seperatly instead of simultaneous with MacBook. There's a hack for normal LacBook, though - so those graphic cards are able to push much more than you think.

It doesn't really matetr wich one you buy except if you're going to work with a lot of RAW material (like photo's in RAW-format or fully DV film), then I'de go for pro. All the rest is just a laod of bollocks. Of course, professionals take the pro merely because Apple's statement on pro is accepted worldwide.

Right, I'm I've just got a Mac Mini, however I'm quite the n00b. I was wondering what programs would be the best to install (Mac Friendly) and how to do it as anything I download myself turns up on my desktop in different parts (Whats with that, how do I change it?). I'm after MSN, Microsoft Word and a good File Sharer/ Torrent (If I'm Allowed To Ask For That).

I've read the list on the front page, however its a little overwhelming. If someone could break it down for me (Disadvantages/Advantages) I'd be very grateful.

Right, I'm I've just got a Mac Mini, however I'm quite the n00b. I was wondering what programs would be the best to install (Mac Friendly) and how to do it as anything I download myself turns up on my desktop in different parts (Whats with that, how do I change it?). I'm after MSN, Microsoft Word and a good File Sharer/ Torrent (If I'm Allowed To Ask For That).

I've read the list on the front page, however its a little overwhelming. If someone could break it down for me (Disadvantages/Advantages) I'd be very grateful.

Quoted due to big need for help.

There is loads of great free software available for the Mac. The list on the front page seems like a pretty good place to start. I'm not sure what you mean by 'break it down', but if you told us exactly what you want to do people could point you in the right direction. For file sharing, try Acquisition. Microsoft Messenger is available for download, and although it does me fine there are plenty of other clients out there, such as Adium. Word is available as part of Office 2004, which can be bought pretty cheaply if you're a student. Open Office is a free alternative.

When you download something it should be a simple matter of dragging the icon to your apps folder. Then delete the .dmg and eject the drive from your desktop by draggging them into the trash.

Ok I have a problem with my iMac. Whenever I start it up Windows XP will load; so I did the target startup disk on the Windows control panel, and then I get this picture.

It just stays there and moves about like a DVD screen saver - bouncing off the sides of the screen.

So to startup in OS X I have to hold down the option key and then select Mac for it to work. When I do the startup disk on OS X it will also do the same.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Hold the ALT-key when launching you computer and boot macOS folder. Or boot using the D-Key when you inserted your install-disc.

If I have the wrong keys, please correct me. I thought it was ALT and D, but it could be something else...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!