Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

Anyone else not able to sign into Microsoft Messenger. I'm using 6.0.2 and it tells me I'm connected to the internet, when I clearly am. It's something to do with my Belkin54g router as it connects at work. I've emailed Belkin about it and they say I need to open some ports but the ones they gave me didn't work.

Any ideas?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else not able to sign into Microsoft Messenger. I'm using 6.0.2 and it tells me I'm connected to the internet, when I clearly am. It's something to do with my Belkin54g router as it connects at work. I've emailed Belkin about it and they say I need to open some ports but the ones they gave me didn't work.

Any ideas?

No I doubt you would have to open any ports. What makes you so sure it's your router apart from the fact it works on your work computer? Maybe you should delete your prefs folder for Messenger? Can't remember where it is just now, so ask Google.

No I doubt you would have to open any ports. What makes you so sure it's your router apart from the fact it works on your work computer? Maybe you should delete your prefs folder for Messenger? Can't remember where it is just now, so ask Google.

It's on a laptop, so it connects at work but not at home. I've actually deleted Messenger and reinstalled but it doesn't work. Also the problem only started when I got the new router.

It's on a laptop, so it connects at work but not at home. I've actually deleted Messenger and reinstalled but it doesn't work. Also the problem only started when I got the new router.

I've got the same problem and we've got Apple Airport as a router. It connects and after ten seconds or so it says 'lost contact with server'. While other MSN-clones work perfectly fine and flawless. I'de tell you to install Adium or Mercury, versatiloe (and maybe better than Microsoft's own) messengers.

have you tried updating the firmware of your router? There's a great chance that this is the problem

There you have it - he's with me, if you want to draw - goog - you've gotta have vectors! Illustrators best in that, though...

If you want a -real- drawing program that actually lets you draw and paint, then I think Illustrator really isn't the right program.

Photoshop and other programs like Painter and Open Canvas (if there are Mac versions) are the way to go.

If you want a -real- drawing program that actually lets you draw and paint, then I think Illustrator really isn't the right program.

Photoshop and other programs like Painter and Open Canvas (if there are Mac versions) are the way to go.

Vectors honey - if you want pixelated art, I wouldn't really opt for Illustrator either. But vectors are really the way to go if you want to DRAW - mistakes can be easely corrected.

Vectors honey - if you want pixelated art, I wouldn't really opt for Illustrator either. But vectors are really the way to go if you want to DRAW - mistakes can be easely corrected.

I guess it depends what it is you want to draw. If you want more sleek, smooth stuff, I guess Illustrator is your thing. But if you want real drawings and paintings, like the stuff I do (illustration kind), then I don't think that's anything you can do in Illustrator.

You can argue about the relative merits of Illustrator etc. all you want, but the guy originally said he wanted an MS Paint replacement, so I just think Illustrator was a bit of a stupid suggestion. :heh:

Thinking that MS Paint can exist for Apple, even though Macs are professional stuff and not the Microsoft-crap-a-thon was a stupid suggestion in the first place. If you work with Mac, you don't get crapload programs included with it.

Maybe I should have had a clear specification. I just wanted something where you could zoom in real close and crop pixel perfect squares easily. Like you can on Paint - you just move it around, or grab the edges. Easy.

Seashore is nice though, so I'm trying hard to get to grips with it, I could never really use GIMP - so it should be fun.

I got Inkscape aswell, but that was for something completely different (My years Yearbook.)

That doesn't even make sense Jasper. He wanted a Paint-ish app, not Paint itself.

If Microsoft can do it, it's crap.

Okay, just kidding here. Ever heard of exageration? Over the top? It apporantly doesn't work on forums.

You get a 60 day trial of it with Macs now, or at least I did when I got my Mini almost 2 years ago now..

No, that's iWorks - the double-program application suite from Apple. AppleWorks, the succesor to ClarisWorks, içs ,a different, not-avaible-anymore program from apple that allows you to do a lot. But if you bought it two years ago, like my fancy iBook G4, than you should find a real version on your computer, although it seems inexplicably gone lately - even though I never deleted it and I used it a few times... It's gone!?

Rest in peace, Appleworks.

Anyone know if this will be suitable for a MacBook (as it says iBook and I think they're a bit different, or I'm being a complete nonce. One of the other).

Am getting closer to buying that, a 2.0GHz MacBook and oe of those LArobe cases. £786 in total is tempting...

;440394]Anyone know if this will be suitable for a MacBook (as it says iBook and I think they're a bit different' date=' or I'm being a complete nonce. One of the other).

[/quote']

It says 'This cable is not compatible with the new iBook' and since the MacBook is newer than a new iBook I would guess at no.

sorry could you say what you want to get apple store links don't work for long

anyway ibook and macbook are different ibooks are ppc instead of intel and aren't widescreen. they also have a different charger cable and the ports are slightly different.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!