NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dannbrownn

How many wii friends do you have?

Oh well, doesn't matter to me. I hardly ever play online these days. I will when UT2007 arrives, but that's neither Wii nor Xbox Live.

None so far... In fact I don't even know what my code is.

No it doesn't and Nintendo are REALLY stupid. Really. How can they not use such a simple feature. God it annoys me so much.

remember when ABC in the US ran a story about how a paedophile contacted a girl through pictochat on DS? I think Nintendo is trying to protect themselves. Invitation system you are describing can easily break down if a youngster just clicks on 'yes' without much thought.

remember when ABC in the US ran a story about how a paedophile contacted a girl through pictochat on DS? I think Nintendo is trying to protect themselves. Invitation system you are describing can easily break down if a youngster just clicks on 'yes' without much thought.

Yeah, I think security does come into it.

Also, I can't count how many times I've added someone onto MSN without knowing who that person was. Infact, a fair few turned out to be some kind of bots or something. At least, this way where you both add the codes from each end, you definitely know the person you're adding.

Sorry but no. Wii features parent control options. AT LEAST have an option to turn it on or off that you can add friends and stuff.

Yeah, I think security does come into it.

Also, I can't count how many times I've added someone onto MSN without knowing who that person was. Infact, a fair few turned out to be some kind of bots or something. At least, this way where you both add the codes from each end, you definitely know the person you're adding.

Again, not an excuse. If someone adds me and I think 'who the hells this?', a simple delete and we're back to not having them in the list.

I'd even say, and this would annoy me but would be forgivable, have the invite with a warning message that says something along the lines of 'there are paedos knocking about, be careful'. Obviously not that, but you get the picture.

Seriously, a simple 'turn friend invites on' in the parent controls would solve this simple problem. I can't believe you can defend this.

Your avatar looks like Majora's Mask. Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Oh, and your PM-list is completely full. Clean it out. I wanted to PM you about this (because it frightens me and I really wanted to know if it really was about this). And I'll re-ask my question: How do you start your Mii Parade?

Because it is.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but if i dont have any Wii friends, when online games come out can i still play other people.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but if i dont have any Wii friends, when online games come out can i still play other people.

I think it is going to be like online DS games and you will be able to just play with random strangers but wont be able to communicate with them, whereas if you are playing with registered contacts you will be able to communicate with them.

With Nintendo's current obsession with online security that would seem likely, and to a certain extent it is a good system. But the limitations are sometimes annoying.

Still i would rather be able to go online and play mariokart against real people rather than just playing the computer, so i look at it like this:

It's better than nothing, though it could be better!

Because it is.

Okay! Good to know.

I don't really mind the system Nintendo isusing. Mostly because, right now, Nintendo has almost no network abilities. They need to get i going this generation and give the true service a kickoff in the next generaion. Let them just linger for a time and have problems with it. After this generation, they will have a refined service (in Nintendo standards, no comparison to X360 - that's totally unfair).

I've got 2 people, one whom I know in real life and Cookyman from here was nice enough to add me.

Anyone who adds me will get added back as long as you tell me you've done it :p

Wii features parent control options. AT LEAST have an option to turn it on or off that you can add friends and stuff.
Yeah alright, that is a fair point and I agree.
I'd even say, and this would annoy me but would be forgivable, have the invite with a warning message that says something along the lines of 'there are paedos knocking about, be careful'. Obviously not that, but you get the picture.
My earlier point was that that sort of system is so easily bypassed by a hapless youngster and Nintendo is bending over backward to avoid it. Finding a mate (on or offline) and adding him on both ends require a proactive effort on both ends to complete the link. Of course no system is perfect, but such aggressive persuit of proactiveness increases security.

Like it or not, I see where Nintendo is coming from. They are basically trying to emulate goold old console multiplier where your real life friends gather around your TV and console; you know them well and they aren't strangers. Nintendo wants you to get codes from your friends and build a multiplier sphere of close friendship, and play among them.

I reckon Nintendo will introduce some sort of system that's more flexible in the future. You know how some DS games allow random games online, and also specific friends games with more communication features. It's not entirely a bad idea.

To be fair to them, it's a step up from the DS online. Security is a fair point, but I still think what I said would be a better idea.

I agree with you, but thats because I've been a gamer for many years. I'm well covered in countering idiocy that happens online.

Nintendo seems to be enforcing good friends to form a circle and encourage gaming among them. Their system makes sense when you look at it that way. I doubt very much Nintendo did this to make the system convenient. Rather, they did it based on a philosophy they have about the social dynamics, to defend non-gamers from techno geeks' volatile & eratic online culture. Unlike most online multiplayer systems, Nintendo had to think about little kids and grandmas playing online. They MUST have thought about this.

Nintendo must have given it a lot of thought. They must have considered simpler system and add counter-measures such as blacklisting. Then they thought "actually, it's better to try block out idiocy in the first place rather than reacting to it afterwards".

Well I've got 20 odd friends and find the whole friend code thing frustrating!

It's too insular, even though I get Mii's and messages off plenty of people from these forums, thats not down to Nintendo helping creating a friend network thats through us chatting on here, a non-nintendo financed site.

Nintendo need to make an effort, to make people feel part of a community on their wii's not everyone like us is gonna be a member of a forum to make friends. I mean sites like: http://mapwii.com/wii-number/index.cfmare all well and good, but even that takes a bit of searching to find. (and isn't too great only 2 registered wii's where I live!)

Why do Nintendo feel the need to protect people in this manner? Microsoft don't and I've heard no tales of badness going on. Please Nintendo create a MSN type system to make things easier...Use the parental control system to help lock these features to minors if you feel the need to but please stop impeding those of us who are big enough and old enough to look after ourselves.

Sign in to follow this