NEurope
Guest Jordan

Has the Wii worked?

I was thinking what the general opinion of the console is so far but not of you, i'm talking about friends and family who NEVER play games.

My father, who hates computer games loves Wii Sports and Wii Play and its the same with my mum. Apparently "it finally got my ass of the sofa." Nice.

Thoughts and feels?

I'm 28 and a few of my mates have not bought a console since the PS1. They always like to take the mick out of me for still playing games, buying new consoles and going on xbox live etc.

But since they played on my Wii, they're phoning up every shop in the region trying to get hold of one.

My father played Wii sports and I never saw him play anything in his life, also, friends that aren't gamers could play easily and have fun. So, yeah, it worked.

My kids got their 70 year old Nan playing, and liking, Wii Sports Bowling the other day, although I can't really see her rushing out to the shops to buy one!

No idea if it has worked. It's too early to say. The same people who play games are still playing it here. My dad hasn't had a go and he use to play on my snes. So I can't really say, as I said it's too early.

It's certainly making a mark in the papers though for hitting people in the face and breaking TVs, as my dad was telling me the other day.

No. I mine hasn't arrived yet, and so it is driving my parents isane. They just wish I had never wanted it, and are punishing me for the fact that they have spent at least 3 hours on the phone to Argos.

So, if it ever does come, I can sence there being a very sour feel towards the console.

My whole family has been playing Wii Sports, and i'm constantly having people back to my place at lunch to have a go.

Actually while we're on the subject of Wii Sports, i'm going to say that it should have gotten a lot higher ratings for this reason. I'm talking 9/10s, because quite frankly it is a rediculous amount of fun. I mean hell, it's gotten more time than Zelda has, and that's saying something.

I agree.. everyone wants to play Wii Sports... especialy while im playing Zelda :nono:

We have played many an hour on Wii sports, and even my brother who dont even like games loves playing bowling.

My brother invited a friend over after three minutes of play. With gameCube he playeds about five hours in it's entire lifespan. So yes, it works. My mom is telling everyone about 'that cool new thing called Wii' and instead of ordering me to put it in the basement, it's in our living room because every once in a while mom asks me 'to play some more bowling?'. It works. It's great. But, it didn't work for me. it didn't feel innovative to me untill my mom and dad came playing. before that, it was 'just' gamiong again...

My dad never plays anything beyond solataire, though he likes a bit of wii sports now and then. My mate who's never had anything Nintendo bought a Wii because he was impressed with what he'd seen. Strangest of all though, is that alot of people seem to know about the wii! I mentioned it to someone in the pub last night, and it was like the entire table turned their attention to me like I'd just come out or something, there was lots of requests to come round to my house to play :p

Everyone who has played my Wii wants one, that includes people who hate videogames and a couple of over 50s. Wii is fun for everyone and is a success, now its just whether it will maintain the interest of non gamers and for how long.

It certainly got my sister and her boyfriend (both 20) really goin for it and she only plays snes.

What's best is getting people to serve in Wii tennis. No matter who does it the first time you do EVERYONE has a smile. It usually goes like this:

Me: Hold this.

Them: What do I do?

Me: Just serve.

Them: ... *throw up remote, and serve*

Them: *broad grin, swing for return... then laugh*

Me: *feel nice and warm inside*

Come back in 1 year when we can see the Wii sales in comparison to DS sales.

The sales of titles against the number of consoles shipped should also be interesting.

I don't give a shit how many copies Metroid or Smash ships, I want to see how the 'Blue Ocean' titles do that are directly aimed at non-gamers, this is the key to the Wii not pulling a GameCube or N64. Third party titles are just as important also.

It will be the only indication of success in my eyes.

My dad never plays anything beyond solataire, though he likes a bit of wii sports now and then. My mate who's never had anything Nintendo bought a Wii because he was impressed with what he'd seen. Strangest of all though, is that alot of people seem to know about the wii! I mentioned it to someone in the pub last night, and it was like the entire table turned their attention to me like I'd just come out or something, there was lots of requests to come round to my house to play :p

The same for me, I was in a bar talking to one of my work mates about the wii and this girl who we was with over heard and was like OMG you got one of those wii things.... I so wanna play that and so then I used the Platty charm and well the rest of the story is for over 18's only. :heh:

It's certainly got my brother playing nintendo. He was a sony fanboy up untill he got on wiisports. My dad also played me at tennis a few times, and he quite enjoys it. I've yet to show it to my grandparents yet, although they'll probably come down sometime around christmas. My grandad usually likes to marvel at things like that. You should have seen his face when I gave him a go on brain training.

It's working here, I mean, strangely for the first time in my life somebody knows about my console and wants to play it, Portugal was the only country in Europe where Mega Drive/Genesis punched out SNES, now with Wii the stores are running out of stock I almost wasn't able to buy mine at launch since I pre-ordered late, there was like 900 pre-orders and I'm seeing friends who'd never buy a Nintendo console buying it for Christmas and coming over to play, There's this prediction of shipping 10.000 Wii's for Portugal this year, and the indication that most likely 5.000 where sold at launch.

Also... My mother plays brain training daily and now she play's Wii, she never played GC.

There's this one boy at my son's school who thinks he's the best and loves to brag about everything. He was always going on about this and that on his PS2 among other things. Anyway, one day he went in raving about this fantastic console he'd heard about, the Wii, and my son said 'Yes I know, we've got one'. This boy got really shirty, calling him a liar etc. etc. When I next took my son to school I saw this boy and mentioned that we did indeed have a Wii. The look on this boy's face was a picture. I swear you could almost see him turning green with envy!

So, yes, I'd say it's worked, as it looks like it's even converting Sony fanboys.

As i said in another thread i have my father playing Wii sports and Wii Play (i point the fact that the last time he touch a console was, well Duckhunt!!!).

Plus its kinda fun to give my girlfriend the chance to beat the hell out of me in Wii box.

In my opinion though there is something most important here. She is actually started to like Zelda!!! Well she only likes to sit near and watch me play yet but thats something i guess because till now there where countless fights about the hours i was spending with Mr. Link and Her Majesty Princess Zelda!

I think all the stuff in the papers and the news about broken TV's and broken noses is all just a very clever marketing ploy by Nintendo! It's all about hype and this stuff alone is doing the job.

Also, whilst I'm on the subject of marketing, I saw a TV advert the other day, the only one I have seen (I don't watch much TV) and it made me all tingly inside. People will definately want to know more after seeing that advert!

I think all the stuff in the papers and the news about broken TV's and broken noses is all just a very clever marketing ploy by Nintendo! It's all about hype and this stuff alone is doing the job.
Thoese new's are just bad, although it might be best for nintendo to be talked about than ignored, but seriously that information is just ridiculous I mean... how many controller's flying and broken straps have we seen on this forum? none that I remember, I even play without strap, and when I first tested the console in stores they wouldn't even tell me to put the strap on.

Can we trust the internet when they show a woman smiling with a back eye fault of his husband and him saying it was with the wiimote?

I mean... next they'll talk about sexual molestation with the controller or what? it's up to me what I do with it, and I choose to play videogames with it.

And if I where to do something stupid with it I'd be ashamed to put photos in the internet. It's just ridiculous how the aproach by the media is being done, unprofessional even.

Also, whilst I'm on the subject of marketing, I saw a TV advert the other day, the only one I have seen (I don't watch much TV) and it made me all tingly inside. People will definately want to know more after seeing that advert!
Haven't seen a advert since it came out, but I hardly watch TV.

I saw it in the news when the console launched though.

I mean... next they'll talk about sexual molestation with the controller or what?

ROFL :laughing:

I was thinking what the general opinion of the console is so far but not of you, i'm talking about friends and family who NEVER play games.

Other half has played some Wii Sports and enjoyed it. She hasn't clamoured for it, and Zelda is too demanding of me to relinquish the Wii for very long.

The parents might get to play it over Christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes.