NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Max

Nintendo Sued for Wiimote Trigger

While Nintendo Wii gamers are having a smashing good time with one of this holiday season's hottest-selling game consoles, Nintendo is being hit with a lawsuit over the Wii's uniquely designed controllers.

Advertisement

Interlink Electronics is suing the Japan-based game maker over the Wii remote's trigger button, which Interlink claims is based on its own patented design. Interlink said it will seek compensation for "loss of reasonable royalties, reduced sales, and/or lost profits as a result of the infringing activities."

According to the complaint, the Wii remote -- called the "Wiimote" by Nintendo -- has a trigger on its underside that infringes on Interlink patent number 6,850,221 for a "Trigger Operated Electronic Device," which Interlink claims to have secured on February 1, 2005.

Interlink is seeking a jury trial.

Flying Off the Shelves

The problems have not seemed to slow sales of the popular game console, as Nintendo continues to report they are moving at a brisk pace. The company is now considering raising its sales target for the Wii, which has been selling out at retailers since it went on sale recently in the U.S. and Japan.

Nintendo has shipped some 400,000 Wii machines in Japan and more than 600,000 in North America.

If history is any guide to the potential success or failure of Interlink's suite, small firms have built up an impressive track record against game makers regarding patent infringement.

In 2002, for example, Immersion sued Microsoft and Sony over the vibration feature in the

Xbox and PlayStation controllers. Immersion settled with Microsoft for some $26 million and won a court decision against Sony for $80 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061211/bs_nf/48672

Everyone jsut wants a peice of their money. Compare the B trigger to the Z trigger on the N64 controller, i've said it before somewhere, they're very similar.

All of these lawsuits will be won by Nintendo.

They are all money grabbing bastards. And I really don't know you can patent something like that.

Actually, this was on IGN, and it's to do with the pointer functionality aswell. I hope this suit stands no ground as all Nintendo have done is combined previous technology.

(Immersion had a right to that suit I believe as it was to do with rumble in gaming and such rather than a vague pointer with trigger)

Even if Nintendo loses the suit, they still have piles of coins stacked in their warehouses somewhere in the South of their headquarters in Japan. If Nintendo pays the same ammount of money as Sony with Immersion, the suit won't be any dangerous thing for Nintendo. However, as said before: the Z-trigger was suite similar and so the case doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

I am waiting to see the suit coming to an end. But the question is mostly: why the hell doe they sue them now, and not earlier on, say, half a year ago? They would've known that back then too and they could have settled with Nintendo. Except if they tried and Nintendo laughed at them. Scoffed. Kicked them out of the Northern gate in Kyoto.

Pfff... crossbows had triggers for 1000 years!

Someone should reset USA's laws and start all over again.

I am waiting to see the suit coming to an end. But the question is mostly: why the hell doe they sue them now, and not earlier on, say, half a year ago?

Because they wouldn't be able to demand a lot of money if the product haven't made any yet.

Well I think Nintendo should send Ninjas.

Lightguns were "Trigger Operated Electronic Devices".

How can you patent a trigger operated electronic device.. How ever the case ends, the patent only applies in the US.

I was going to make this lawsuit.

Then I remembered it would be quicker to take some of my money and burn it.

Let me get this straight... you make an ordinary gunpowder pistol you'll get sued because someone patented a trigger for a pistol, but if you make a plasma gun you can't get sued because no one patented plasma gun triggers? :|

What about those things to make soup? that things have triggers too :|

Sign in to follow this