NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

If your having trouble with Atlas, I wouldn't bother fighting the Legacy Bosses. You should be able to handle low level Baramos so don't just level him up just yet (keep the EXP for yourself).

There is a lot of grinding in the post game though, you'll eventually run into Metal King Slimes and then Platinum Slimes which will make it easier.

You can abuse Slime Hill if you really wanted to.

Enter the cave and open your treasure maps list, close it and exit the cave, run South until you hit the cliff edge and go right you should eventually have 2 enemies spawn, if your lucky one of these will be a LMS.

If you have more than 1 pages of maps you can change page to get different enemy spawns, so just keep trying every page until you get one. The trick uses the last map on each page so you can change them round by discarding some maps or getting new ones.

Going solo will also give you more EXP as well. But it's a lot more dangerous. Will probably work best on Slime Hill.

Beat Dhoulmagus level 99 last night though :yay: Moved onto Malroth because I wanted some Red Orbs. Might keep him low level and farm for orbs before levelling him up too much.

Well decided to have a go at Baramos and easily took him down in the end. He got a crit hit kill on my mage but thankfully Zing worked first time and it was plain sailing after that. 14 rounds it took which I though was decent. May grind him a bit along with LMSs (I'm using the Bowhole for them as they're quite common in appearance there) and then head back to Atlas although I should be able to take him down now after getting up a few levels.

Need to upgrade all my characters' gear as well. *Sigh* I now remember why I stopped playing. But I'm determined to get to some of the higher levelled grottoes. At least until I bother to pick up VI but that'll be more grinding.

It's too much, there's no doubt about it. Personally, I did not grind until I had access to Liquid Metal Slimes (in The Bowhole) and then Metal King Slimes. Then we'd all use the "Thunder Thrust" spear ability and hope for the best. Let me tell you, I was soon sick of that place!

However, it's a good way to get everyone to level 45 or so in different vocations. That way you can earn loads of skill points and fill out the weapon skills, Agility boosts etc.

I can't imagine VI gets as tedious as this, because you basically have to master two or three vocations (ie. get 8 stars of experience), then an advanced vocation, then (if you like) the "Hero" vocation. I'm finding that I can just carry on with the game even if I've just changed vocations.

New entry on The Grind blog - Dragon Quest IX: Farewell to a Friend.

I wonder if a game will ever quite grab me in the same way that DQIX has. I'm excited about plenty of upcoming releases, but I don't think any of them have quite the same capacity to burrow past my defenses and take control of my brain quite like DQIX. It's a perfect storm for me: portable, so I can play it in small bits and pieces anywhere; turn-based, so I don't have to pour my full concentration into it every time I pick it up; social, so I feel compelled to share it; and classic, appealing to the part of my soul that pines for the fading style and sensibility of game that DQIX embodies.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9084322

Yep, DQ IX was quite something and has accompanied me for the past year. I remember last autumn/winter, slumping in the armchair in front of Strictly Come Dancing. Gavin Henson was dancing, if I recall correctly. I, however, was deep in a Grotto, fighting a boss. I got the 2% drop I'd wanted all night and let out a loud "YESSS!"

It's just made me want 3DS RPGs all the more. Imagine the StreetPass features. You could make, say, a really tough Paladin and when you StreetPass with someone, they could use your character in their game. I'd be quite proud to be the Paladin of my home town!

You could also list all your duplicate rare items to sell or swap. Even something like getting visitors at the inn would be more likely, as you wouldn't have to have the actual game inserted and at the right place.

Baramos bashed

Murdaw mauled

Doulmagus duffed-up

Dragonlord defeated

Psaro slayed

Nimzo nipped

Malroth mashed

Estark eradicated

Mortamor mothballed

Zoma zonked

Orgodemir outed

Rhapthorne repelled

Nokturnus nobbled

Yes, I've finally defeated all the Legacy Bosses at level 99! And they can stay that way too!

Yes, I've finally defeated all the Legacy Bosses at level 99! And they can stay that way too!

Congrats!

Taking a break from DQIX, especially since the DQVC reset, for a bit to play some other games at the moment, but i shall be back to finish off the Legacy Bosses soon.

Thanks Ike. I just need to do two Quests now (Borya's Boots. Grr...) and then I think I've "completed" it. The other thing is the Alchemy. I might not fill it 100%, but I would really like to get the full Alchemiracle armour...

Onto Xenoblade now, which I actually got last Thursday, but I wanted to finish the Legacy Bosses first. Unlike most people, I don't actually like it so far. Very difficult to get into...

BUMP.

Throughout Dragon Quest IX, I was very keen on getting the full "Erdrick's" Armour set, as the Sword and Shield at least were excellent. When I finally got it, I was a little bit disappointed, but to be fair, there's only so much the DS can handle.

However, now a figure has been made that shows just how good it's meant to look. Awesome, eh? It has Boots as well, which weren't in DQ IX.

roto1.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/18/dragon-quest-figure-fully-decked-out-in-legendary-roto-armor/

I don't think even the 3DS could do it proper justice, but I'd like to see it try. If there was a Dragon Quest game on 3DS, it'd be a hard decision choosing between Erdrick's Armour and Metal King Armour!

Erdrick was one well kitted out hero. :cool:

(When I saw Grazza had posted in this thread I thought he was back spelunking and revocating his way through more grottoes!)

Congrats!

Taking a break from DQIX, especially since the DQVC reset, for a bit to play some other games at the moment, but i shall be back to finish off the Legacy Bosses soon.

Did you ever get back to it...?

I haven't... :woops:

Shame the figure is pretty expensive (around ?40).

Did you ever get back to it...?

I haven't... :woops:

Nope. I was considering going back a couple of days ago, I would like to 100% the game.

Erdrick was one well kitted out hero. :cool:

(When I saw Grazza had posted in this thread I thought he was back spelunking and revocating his way through more grottoes!)

No, I no longer need anything from the Grottoes (what a funny thought). I did however, want to complete all the Quests, which I was only thwarted at by my lack of Borya's Boots. If I knew which day Borya's Boots were going to be available, I would connect to DQVC and buy them (if it's still going). Alas, I currently still have that one Quest to complete.

The other thing I wanted to do was create the "Alchemiracle" versions of all the Rank S gear. The main problem being the low chances of getting them, as well as the ingredients you waste every time. I was trying to boost my Resilience to 999 in order to give me a better chance, but stealing all those Seeds wore a bit thin. :heh:

Just started playing this yesterday as I couldn't get into DQIV (try again later) but my goodness is this addictive, I've already played around 5hrs. Level 11 after having just defeated the Wight Knight and my 3 supporting CPU's are all lvl 8. I would really like to play local co-op with someone though.

Just started playing this yesterday as I couldn't get into DQIV (try again later) but my goodness is this addictive, I've already played around 5hrs. Level 11 after having just defeated the Wight Knight and my 3 supporting CPU's are all lvl 8. I would really like to play local co-op with someone though.

Yeah, it's such a shame there was no online co-op, it would have elevated this to a god tier RPG.

Keeps us updated with your progress.

Good stuff, @\-Dem0\-!

The Grottoes and post-game content in general are legendary. It was epic enough doing it on my own, but (and I say this as a sceptic of online multiplayer) doing some of that with you chaps would have been astounding. Best formula for Dragon Quest, in my opinion:

Main story - offline

Post-game content - offline or online

But you should definitely be able to do 100% of it offline, or DQIX wouldn't have been the same experience.

Edited by Grazza

I couldn't get into DQIV (try again later)

Out of interest, why can't you get into it?

Also, see you in 500 hours :)

Well actually I may have just worded it badly. Each time I tried to play it, I was interrupted by something. I've never had more than 20 minutes of consecutive play. However I was finally able to string an hour and a half, but then I died against a pair of moles (no more meds & couldn't flee) and hadn't saved the game during my session. So I was just a bit fed up and didn't want to go through all of those battles and items again.

So I though start with DQIX and work my way back.

Well actually I may have just worded it badly. Each time I tried to play it, I was interrupted by something. I've never had more than 20 minutes of consecutive play. However I was finally able to string an hour and a half, but then I died against a pair of moles (no more meds & couldn't flee) and hadn't saved the game during my session. So I was just a bit fed up and didn't want to go through all of those battles and items again.

So I though start with DQIX and work my way back.

But in Dragon Quest, you don't lose anything else than half of your gold when you die. Surely you knew that?

No, I thought you loose everything that you've acquired along the way. This is the first time I'm playing DQ. Still doesn't change the fact I've faced a lot of monsters and have lvl'd up aswell.

Um On dragon quest 9 sentinels of the starry skies. I'm stuck trying to find the first badge in the mission "Turn in your badges" could someone help me?

Um On dragon quest 9 sentinels of the starry skies. I'm stuck trying to find the first badge in the mission "Turn in your badges" could someone help me?

They are random drops from monsters so just keep fighting around Bloomingdale for the first badge until it drops.

After 10.000 years, this thread is free! Time to conquer N-E!

*ahem*

Sorry to necrobump this old thread, but I happened to see Dragon Quest IX at a nearby store for 30€. This has always been a title that put a high emphasis on interconnectivity, social networking, and sharing. Since I never put any importance in that when it came to JRPGs, I've always put a mental block in it whenever I considered it...

...My question is: Is the game good in its own right without all of that multiplayer stuff? Obviously, internet services no longer work for the DS, so I'd be playing this exclusively solo (and at an unspecified point in the far future), but if the game is good as its own single-player experience, I think I might go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1