NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marshmellow

I want to learn how to play Electric Guitar

X-2 is the one with the non locking trem, X-6 is the one with the floyd rose yeah, I didn't bother with that one, because I've got an innate loathing of floyd rose. My DV8-r rules cause it has sperzel locking tuners :D.

Awwww yeeeeah, I borrow my mates RR-3 anytime I wanna try anything like that, but my playing is more along the lines of Kirk Hammett, Alexi Laiho, Dave Mustaine, quite a lot of legato and sweeps. Set brigde's are perfect for me :).

It took me ages to figure out how dime does his little squeals, I always thought they were pinch harmonics way down the neck, but it's just natural harmonics with a whammy bar. V. cool shit.

Don't treat it as a hobby, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it, and you shouldn't really need a teacher to start off with, you can teach yourself the basics pretty easily, or I can teach you...but as for later, only you can know what direction you want to take your playing in.

What kind of music do you want to play? If you want to play nothing but indie then that guitar is perfect for you, but I would definately go for something more diverse.

I play Metal, Classical and Blues and the best beginner guitar for me by far was the Cort X2. It's great and it's only £150 or thereabouts these days...after 2 years or so you're gonna want to move to something more advanced, and build up to buying your ideal guitar, which in my case was the ESP DV8-r.

That guitar you're eyeing is a waste of good money, at least in my opinion.

lol, typical guitarist. Everyone is the best player in the world, and knows more than the other.

Get what guitar you need, you can start on tabs, start on chords, start on scales, whatever. If you want to learn the musical theory bit, start on chords and scales, and try to play from music score. But if your just in it to play some guitar, and quickly pick up songs etc, then go for tabs.

Theirs loads of free tab sites on the web, and you can learn the latest songs in nxt to no time.

I bought a guitar bout a year ago and still havnt learnt much on it, need to put more time in to it otherwise its been a waste of cash and i dont like wasting cash.

lol, typical guitarist. Everyone is the best player in the world, and knows more than the other.

Get what guitar you need, you can start on tabs, start on chords, start on scales, whatever. If you want to learn the musical theory bit, start on chords and scales, and try to play from music score. But if your just in it to play some guitar, and quickly pick up songs etc, then go for tabs.

Theirs loads of free tab sites on the web, and you can learn the latest songs in nxt to no time.

Typical pot smoking, dickhead loser? Yeah, sounds like you. As for typical, there's nothing typical about my playing.

Typical pot smoking, dickhead loser? Yeah, sounds like you. As for typical, there's nothing typical about my playing.

haha, nice.

Your a fiesty one aint ya?

And you dont even know me, so how could you describe me?

"you stupid dickhead loser"

Now now children, we all know I'm far superior to the both of you anyway :heh:

Now now children, we all know I'm far superior to the both of you anyway :heh:

:heh:

You know what would be cool? An online solo duel between N-E forum members...I'd kick all your asses...that is, unless you have comething better up your sleeve than the kissing the shadows solo :p.

And you dont even know me, so how could you describe me?

And in a reciprocal gesture, heres a fist full of hypocracy..!

:heh:

You know what would be cool? An online solo duel between N-E forum members...I'd kick all your asses...that is, unless you have comething better up your sleeve than the kissing the shadows solo :p.

Would be a cold day in hell before you outplayed me :heh:

you know it would just turn into a gay "who can solo the fastest" thing. goddamn metal heads.

fastest? I do 16th notes at 240bpm, by my count, so I guess that puts me on top? :heh:

I can't use a wah pedal for shit though...:(...it's the doing 2 things at the same time that gets me...

Would be a cold day in hell before you outplayed me :heh:

Heheh, love the smack talk, I'd like to see you match the words with some action ;).

Edit:

I don't like fuzz pedals, regular distortion does it fine for me, I use a relatively primitive Line 6 uber metal, doesn't really get the tone I want, but does the distortion and the crunch just great. I guess it's the amp though, Line 6 spider 252 250 watt combo, maybe I shouldn't have got it...that roland cube looks oh so enticing...

My guitar is the best in the world though :yay:

Heheh, love the smack talk, I'd like to see you match the words with some action ;).

When i get a shot of a video cam, i'll make you sorry you were born boy :heh:

When i get a shot of a video cam, i'll make you sorry you were born boy :heh:

Lol, cool, look forward to it, gonna play anything special? Or you just gonna try and butcher the stairway solo like the other degenerates? :heh:

Lol, cool, look forward to it, gonna play anything special? Or you just gonna try and butcher the stairway solo like the other degenerates? :heh:

Probably something by Mr Vai, Stairway isn't really the best for showing off.

As for pedals, I use to just play through a Boss metal zone and Noise Supressor bu i've since got one of he orignal vintage Ibanez Tubescreamers which fucking rock.

Getting a bit out of hand now!

Hahah.

This is a thread for a guy who wants to learn guitar, not be put off by this inane banter of who can play the fastest.

I can play pretty fast though.

:P

you know it would just turn into a gay "who can solo the fastest / lets make crappy nu-metal solos" session

lmao it full on would! Hilarious how we all have to show off constantly isn't it.

I just wrote a huge thirty minute essay of advice, but it got deleted.

Basically to summerise what it would've explained in great detail:

Learn to read tabs, practice, play to cds, check with other guitarists along the way, learn how music works.

Get a teacher when you can't teach yourself anything more. (Get a teacher who doesn't just critisize you constantly). You CAN teach yourself a lot, and you can develop your own style rather than somebody elses. A teacher is just there to encourage the skills you've already started to work on yourself.

Oh and don't bother with a good guitar/amp until you're ready for one. Play for a year with a cheap set up, then move onto something 'good' when you're sure you want to keep it up.

Sign in to follow this