N-Europe

Think the Wii & PS3 are overpriced?

arab_freak

I think the more important thing here, is not the fact a Wii costs the equivalent of £500 there... I think it's the fact that the Kuwait Dinar, is actually worth more than a British Pound. I've been trying to find something that has been for aaaaages. ^^; Makes me happy.

(Does that make the Kuwait Dinar the most valuable currency? (per unit))

TBH I think the Wii is overpriced as it is and I'm living in the UK. £180 for a GC 1.5 as well as buying all the extra Wiimotes and nunchucks and games......maybe later.

EDIT: I'm so stingy.......

GC= £30.

so GC + . 5 = £45.

Wii remote: £30, nunchuck attachment: £15, Game = £30

= £120.

lets say £15 for wifi and 512Mb flash and the sd card reader.

thats £135.

now add N64, snes, nes, genesis and master system, turbogfx. we'll say £5 per console

£165.

thats me being as stingy as possible. I assume £5 profit for both Nintendo, Game, and then £5 to pay for delivery to the main store, so that would be £180.

there you go.

plus the cardboard box too! must be worth 0.01p or something, considering the vouchers from tescos are worth 0.001p

YOU CAN'T PRICE UP A SYSTEM LIKE THAT.

There are economies of scale and business deals that mean bulk orders can be much lower.

You know Apple get 60% mark up on iPods now they make their click wheels in house?

You have no idea in whaat companies Nintendo has stakes (Apple owns a fair part of Samsung's flash department now they are shipping flash based iPods saving them 80%)

Here is what an expert would do:

Berger estimates that Toshiba hard disk drives account for approximately 46 percent and 61 percent of Apple's materials cost for the 30GB ($60) and 80GB ($110) model, respectively. Other costly components standard amongst both models are said to include a $9.00 2.5-inch color LCD screen, a $6.00 Li-ion battery, $5.80 PortalPlayer SoC, $8.50 Broadcom video decoder, $3.00 Wolfson audio codec, $2.50 Click-Wheel and $9.00 aluminum case and connector kit.

The analyst estimates the total bill-of-materials cost for the $249 30GB model to be just $130.90, which would represent a 47.4 percent margin before freight, marketing and other costs. Similarly, he estimates materials for the $349 80GB model cost just $180.90, yielding margins of approximately 48.2 percent.

Until an expert dissects the price of a Wii part by part you are guesstimating, and they are uneducated guesses also.

I wanted the Wii to be £150.. it probably costs on the low end of 3 figures to make, but it's fresh and the WiFi is free.