NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dannbrownn

Wifi Worries, How can Wii get ourselves online?

A while back i read somewhere that if you had the Nintendo Wifi USB adapter for the ds you would be able to link up the wii to the same wifi connection.

Now though there is no mention of this anywhere, and with Nintendo and ONM constantly recommending that buffalo wireless router for the ds (apparently) it looks less and less likely that i will have the abaility to connect the Wii up to my broadband.

I have seen all this ethernet stuff they have talked about but i know absolutely nothing about this except for it a actually connects to your wii with a cable, if this is the case then how does it work? Do you need to connect it straight to your broadband modem or does your modem still go to your pc and the ethernet cables goes from pc to wii?

I was just wandering about this as a few people have raised concerns over their ability to get online.

Anyone know, or does anyone want to thrown in their own questions?

Why are you so worried? Smash will no doubt be the first online game and that's months away.

Well if I get a Wii I will probably need a update or a patch (US got their first one yesterday I think to enable a few more channels), I want to browse the channels and download VC games on the same day :)

I really do hope my DS dongle will work aswell.

Why are you so worried? Smash will no doubt be the first online game and that's months away.

Maybe he wants to get the News Channel, Weather Channel, download VC games or browse the internet?

Anyway, anything that works with the DS will have to do fine. The dongle is guaranteed to provide a sucky connection though, as it's made for DS speeds and therefore is made only for a slow 802.11b connection.

Maybe he wants to get the News Channel, Weather Channel, download VC games or browse the internet?

Anyway, anything that works with the DS will have to do fine. The dongle is guaranteed to provide a sucky connection though, as it's made for DS speeds and therefore is made only for a slow 802.11b connection.

Well isn't 802.11b 11MBit/s - that should be in theory be around 5-6MBit/s on average. So up to 768kb/s - should be more than enough :)

LOL, stoopified, I didn't even think of that.

The news and weather channels are a novelty but are currently not working.

But I see your point with regard to the VC and patches.

Personally, I would recommend a wifi router (that buffalo thing is fine). I know thats a more expensive choice, but I think we've gotten into an era where wifi will become more mainstream (if it hasn't already). It wouldn't hurt to have 1 at any rate, if not for connecting wii online while PC is turned off.

Just make sure you set security and TCP/IP ports etc (you can ask us here). A few friends of mine had hardtime setting them up as their old adsl modem didnt have such complications.

Oh good, because I have the dongle. I'm hoping the Wii's wireless range goes further than the DS, because I'd like to keep it in my living room on the HD telly without having to move it upstairs to download VC games.

The Wii console has WiFi 802.11b/g wireless built into the console.

Wii.com says:

The Wii console communicates wirelessly with the Internet via wireless or a Wii LAN adaptor. Wii also can connect wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Oh good, because I have the dongle. I'm hoping the Wii's wireless range goes further than the DS, because I'd like to keep it in my living room on the HD telly without having to move it upstairs to download VC games.

Your Wii And your DS will have exactly the same range. Why? Because your Wifi-dongle's range does not differ, and therefore going out of it's range with any Wifi product will result into losing connectivity. The Wii doesn't have a wireless range on its own. If your dongle connects for only 25 meters you can't go out of that distance (because your wii, even if it could go 50 meters, can't receive data from the dongle outside of the 25 meter range). It's all about the distance your dongle can go, if you Wii's in that distance it will work, if not, it won't.

dongle |ˈdä ng gəl; ˈdô ng-| noun (Computing)

an electronic device that must be attached to a computer in order to use protected computer software.

ORIGIN 1980s: an arbitrary formation.

(arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system)

Well you can call it a USB wifi adaptor, but then dongle sounds funny when talking to a friend about it.

Wish i had a wireless router :(

For all those with wifi networks already in place; the wii supports WPA and WPA2 in addition to wep :D

I couldn't let this opportunity pass, i have just realised that:

I will have to use my dongle to have a Wii

(Yes i know that you don't need one but just enjoy the childish humour for what it is!)

just get a wireless bt home hub, iv got one for my house plugs straight into your phone line, doesnt need to be connected to your computer, is easy to use and very speedy, i pay something like £17 a month, cheaper for the 1st few months.

unfortunately if you dont go online you cant use sd cards as this is a firware update.

Not stupid using the updates to slip in region locking to your system. Everyone will update to get SD acces - so your system is locked. Not a stupid move at all, Nintendo...

But the next batch of Wii's will probably come with pre-installed firmware 1.2 or something like that - region specific.

And yes, dannbrownn - it's a childish remark. sadly enough, I enjoy remarks made about sex because they - most of the time - don't really make any sense. And, off course, I often do it myself. No excuses here, then.

Sign in to follow this