NEurope
Zechs Merquise

FIRE EMBLEM: A blockbuster made on a shoestring...

I recently picked up Fire Emblem for the Gamecube from the lovely people at Paly.com (great value check 'em out!). What a game, it's awesome, I'm onto Chapter 8 now and so far the story has been great, the characters brilliant and the gameplay very compelling and fun.

In fact this game has all the hallmarks of a true blockbuster, a game that should be remembered for years to come by the whole whole gaming community.

But this is where my gripe lies, this wonderful game with it's great story has been sold short. At points the game switches to beautiful anime style cut scenes which are simply breath taking (the point where Greil fights the Black Knight is a stunning instance of this), but for the most part this game is content to tell the story in statc scenes with reams and reams of text.

This whole game should have been done with these cutscenes, they're awesome, it should have been a real showcase for the Gamecube, but instead we're left with a true gem that was never developed to it's full potential.

I would recommend to every serious gamer out there that they picked up this title. I would recommend to Nintendo though, that when they have pure gold in there hands - which they do with this magnificent series - that they polish it up and develop it into the blockbuster it should be.

This whole game should have been done with these cutscenes, they're awesome, it should have been a real showcase for the Gamecube, but instead we're left with a true gem that was never developed to it's full potential.

I would recommend to every serious gamer out there that they picked up this title. I would recommend to Nintendo though, that when they have pure gold in there hands - which they do with this magnificent series - that they polish it up and develop it into the blockbuster it should be.

I agree with everything said there. Having played various RPGs on the PS2 there is nothing better in IMO than having a few cutscenes here and there to help tell the story and this is, like you siad, is where Fire Emblem falls short. I wont spoil it for you but even the end had me feeling very let down and just left me with a feeling of meh.

I have wanted the game for AGES now, and more than any other GC game, but i've struggled to find it for £20 or under. I want it so much but I am trying to avoid paying £30 for it.

Fire Emblem: PoR didn't have that many cutscenes because they ran out of space. But I personally find huge CGI demos pretty distasteful, as they are nearly always made just for sake of showing something "cool", not to really advance plot. BTW, did you know that PoR's cutscenes were made by same studio that did "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex"?

Fire Emblem: PoR didn't have that many cutscenes because they ran out of space. But I personally find huge CGI demos pretty distasteful, as they are nearly always made just for sake of showing something "cool", not to really advance plot. BTW, did you know that PoR's cutscenes were made by same studio that did "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex"?

Well they were beautiful and really well done. I think they add a lot to a title, it's nice to see it all unfold rather than just having it read it whilst looking at in inanimate cut outs. Still one of the best Gamecube games ever, but it could've just been such a blockbuster.

Oh, I thought it was absolutely gab-smackingly magnificent how the story was told doing with in-animate cutscenes. Kind of adds lots of charm. That what I thought. The end really wasn't that meh. I never expected anything big at the end, but the animated end was meh. But that was because of the bad voice-acting. I wish the animated cutscenes was done with japanese voiceactors with english subtitles. That'd be more convincing.

Also, I think it is amazing how the company behind Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex made the cutscenes. Was it Production I.G.? Never saw that in the credits or maybe I did. If I saw Production I.G. in the creds, then I must have forgotten it.

Oh, before I forget. Get the game now or you'll regret you didn't get to play it before. The game retailers would also enjoy your money and get more belief in GC games as a reliable source for income and thus make the GC game selection even more varied.

chapter 8 was probably the hardest chapter for me on my first time through *easy mode*

i started noormal and i cant get any where (i'm not even on ch 5)

chapter 8 was probably the hardest chapter for me on my first time through *easy mode*

i started noormal and i cant get any where (i'm not even on ch 5)

I started on Normal, I'm already on Chapter 11, I love it, I try not to play things on Easy as I like to get my value for money!

I started on Normal, I'm already on Chapter 11, I love it, I try not to play things on Easy as I like to get my value for money!

Ironic thing is that western "hard" level is easier than eastern "normal" level. Notice also that there is subtle changes in plot if you play using hard level. :)

Ironic thing is that western "hard" level is easier than eastern "normal" level. Notice also that there is subtle changes in plot if you play using hard level. :)

I'm trying my best to get through without losing any of my party! Titania is my best sao far, I also rely heavily on Oscar, Ike and Boyd.

I used to think that, but I never got through any games. I suck too much to try anything harder than easy. I always tell myself that I'll beat it on normal and then hard once I'm done, but I never do. Man, I suck at video games.

Moving on, this is one of my favortive Gamecube games. Maybe I'll try hard mode soon. I'll never get past chapter two, though.

I'm trying my best to get through without losing any of my party! Titania is my best sao far, I also rely heavily on Oscar, Ike and Boyd.

Titania is not to be used all the time as she ends up very weak when everyone else can get promoted, Oscar and Boyd are good choices though.

You're right about that Hero-of-Time. I saw that in gamefaqs.com. At least in this game it has proven to be quite a valuable resource to get tips on beating the levels. I don't always to what they tell me, it's just to get some ideas of my own when I play it. I actually like this version over the GBA-versions as it it so much easier to reset the hole (all?) of the game and begin again and again while it seems to be quicker to start over too. I mean X+Y+Start sure beats L+R+Start+Select on GC and GBA respectively.

I have wanted the game for AGES now, and more than any other GC game, but i've struggled to find it for £20 or under. I want it so much but I am trying to avoid paying £30 for it.

It's worth every penny of £30. It's worth every penny of £39.99 come to think of it. A great game. I played it back to back and racked up 90 hours of gameplay. I have high hopes for the Wii version.

Well I gave in yesterday and decided to order it for £29.99 from play :smile:

Good call mate :) You won't regret it! It's a true gem, and although it's only text, it's still one of the most compelling and enthralling games I've ever played!

Congrats on picking it up Stcoka, I know you have been after it for ages now.

I agree with Zech again, despite the story being told with just text it really does draw you in and you are compelled to see what happens next, I still stand by my earlier statement though about the ending being a letdown for me.

Worth the £26.99 I spent at Wigan Gamestation (priced as "pre-owned" but came with VIP card and all!). As a fan of the translated Fire Emblem games I've always thought of the previous titles we've missed out on :( Hopefully this is a lesson learned by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems that an international audience welcomes and acknowledges their games and vice versa.

Worth the £26.99 I spent at Wigan Gamestation (priced as "pre-owned" but came with VIP card and all!). As a fan of the translated Fire Emblem games I've always thought of the previous titles we've missed out on :( Hopefully this is a lesson learned by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems that an international audience welcomes and acknowledges their games and vice versa.

Well I reckon we'll definately be getting the Wii version in Europe.

I couldn't find fire emblem anywhere in Milton Keynes at the time so I got star fox instead. Can't say it was an even trade but I still can't find it to this date, and my gamecube decided to die.

I really need to buy this game, but mah wallet is crying at the mo

Well I gave in yesterday and decided to order it for £29.99 from play :smile:

Began playing earlier!

The opening cutscenes are beautiful :shock: some of the best i've ever seen. The overall presentation is superb, and is one of the first things I really love about it. It really is like Advance Wars but with swords, and there's no way I am complaining! Not only that but the characters are really likeable and everything. Mmm I can't think of one bad thing to say about it so far, ver very very positive first impressions. :hehe:

I must admit, it felt damn great to get a new GC game, I think the last one I purchased was Baten Kaitos when it came out in Europe way back in May last year. There's this special feeling that I can't explain about getting a new Nintendo game that I just don't get with other games. Anyone know what I mean?

Began playing earlier!

The opening cutscenes are beautiful :shock: some of the best i've ever seen. The overall presentation is superb, and is one of the first things I really love about it. It really is like Advance Wars but with swords, and there's no way I am complaining! Not only that but the characters are really likeable and everything. Mmm I can't think of one bad thing to say about it so far, ver very very positive first impressions. :hehe:

I must admit, it felt damn great to get a new GC game, I think the last one I purchased was Baten Kaitos when it came out in Europe way back in May last year. There's this special feeling that I can't explain about getting a new Nintendo game that I just don't get with other games. Anyone know what I mean?

I totally get what you mean, its a very magical feeling that no other games company can reproduce.

I too was drawn in by the first few segments of the game. Despite ALOT of reading that is needed its great fun how you get to know your characters, well at least the ones you dont kill off :hehe: My favourite was the Mage guy that is mates with Ike. I think he is called Soren, I may be wrong its been a while since I played it. It does have a massive amount of replay value though due to the amount of characters you can use and get to know.

Began playing earlier!

I try to get all my games new and factory sealed, I love the feeling of being the first person to open the box. I like everything in mint condition.

I try to get all my games new and factory sealed, I love the feeling of being the first person to open the box. I like everything in mint condition.

Yeah me too.

I also must say the boxart is possibly my favourite for any GC game!