NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
triforce_keeper

Life. Death. Purpose?

I'm scared of there being nothing after death. I mean, how can we just not be anywhere all of a sudden? It freaks me out. I sit awake, and i will all of a sudden get the horrible feeling you were describing. I can't stand the thought of not being here, even if Earth isn't the nicest place! I guess you just have to accept it, and try to live your life like you want, and be happy. I realised a long time ago there's no point living in fear of death, because then you'll be dead inside anyway.

I believe there is no reason we are here, and that we should just live without worrying about the inevitable.

The only way I can find an glimpse of faith in my pessimistic mind is with the question "why?" ie, why are we here if we're going to die? Why have we created so much, why do we exist, why do planets, stars, air, rocks, life, plants, love, hate, music, dreams etc. etc. exist?

I have to throw it back at you, Why not?

I'm scared of there being nothing after death. I mean, how can we just not be anywhere all of a sudden? It freaks me out. I sit awake, and i will all of a sudden get the horrible feeling you were describing. I can't stand the thought of not being here, even if Earth isn't the nicest place! I guess you just have to accept it, and try to live your life like you want, and be happy. I realised a long time ago there's no point living in fear of death, because then you'll be dead inside anyway.

I believe there is no reason we are here, and that we should just live without worrying about the inevitable.

Yeh same here. I guess the only person who knows is the almighty being. If there is one XD

Have you ever thought that when you die your life just keeps on replaying? So you could be on you're fifth 'life' already and it will just carry on for eternity?

Also, what's the youngest you can die of old age?

Edit - Thinking about life before and after death is similar to thinking about how the universe is infinite. You can't imagine it and we'll never know if its true or not. But the universe must be infinite as it can't just stop somewhere, because that would mean there was something after it stopped, which means it actually carries on.

Also, what's the youngest you can die of old age?

No one dies of old age, you always die of something. They just write that on your death certificate because your old and expect you to die.

I seem to agree with philosophy of bill hicks mostly. But then im always changing my mind :P

Meh.

I think your like a machine. You get born, you live, you die. END. Nothing after, you just cease to exist, you'll have no idea that it's happened as you won't be concious.

Also, the universe isn't infinite, it is currently expanding at the speed of light squared, so it has to finite. Beyond it is just... well... who knows. That's the fun of life. ^^

I have to throw it back at you, Why not?

Heh, it reaches the same end though, it's still a question without an answer, isn't it? Why and why not are, in this case, pretty much the same thing.

Possible outcomes after death that I can concieve.

1) Nothing

A lot of people are scared of this outcome but I don't see why. Yes you may never feel love or happiness but you will also never feel sorrow or anger. So you will be unable to feel sorrow about never feeling happiness.

2) Heaven and Hell

If you think about it it sort of makes sense (not that I'm christian or anything). If you wonder "Why are we here?" then "to be tested" isn't that bad of an answer. One thing is though, that may answer "Why are we here?" but it doesn't really answer "Why do we exist?".

3) Re-incarnation

Not really much that I can think to say here. You get born. You live. You die. You get born again. Just one big cycle.

4) Another world

One possible outcome that I've thought a lot about is that this world is just an illusion. When we die we wake up in the real world. Basically it's just a form of an afterlife.

5) The thing Moria (never thought of this one)

Any more possible outcomes anyone?

Have you ever thought that when you die your life just keeps on replaying? So you could be on you're fifth 'life' already and it will just carry on for eternity?

If you don't know your previous life happened, is it any different? When it comes down to it, our whole self is based on our memories. If I took away all your memories of every moment from the day you were born, including how to speak and the names of things like the sky, and colours, would you still be the same person? Your personality and who you are is based on your environment as you've grown up so if that was taken away, you'd be a new person.

My point is, if after I die I go on to live a "6th life", it won't be me, I may as well not exist.

Also, the universe isn't infinite, it is currently expanding at the speed of light squared, so it has to finite. Beyond it is just... well... who knows. That's the fun of life. ^^

But if the universe is still expanding, it must be expanding into somthing.... :heh:

If you don't know your previous life happened, is it any different? When it comes down to it, our whole self is based on our memories. If I took away all your memories of every moment from the day you were born, including how to speak and the names of things like the sky, and colours, would you still be the same person? Your personality and who you are is based on your environment as you've grown up so if that was taken away, you'd be a new person.

My point is, if after I die I go on to live a "6th life", it won't be me, I may as well not exist.

Yeah, I should've said that you don't remember anything at all from your previous life and it would be exactly the same as the one you think you are 'living' at the moment. But have you ever had a dream that's come true? Maybe that's because you knew it had happened in your previous life so was therefore definitely going to happen?

Well, here's my views...

Life:

I do believe everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's just to live it. Everyone takes certain actions throughout thier lives. Actions cause outcomes and, no matter how small they are, they add up to a bigger picture. What I'm trying to say is - everyone makes the world happen in thier own way, if some of us never exsisted then things would probably be totaly different in most cases.

Death:

I'm Christian, so I believe that there's a Heaven and a Hell (natch.) Whichever one you go to depends on the actions you take in life. That's my view anyway. I just think that as long as you believe in God it doesn't matter what you do, as long as it's nothing really terrible, such as killing someone.

Any more possible outcomes anyone?

I heard an interesting theory (from someone here, I believe, come to think of it) about an eternal dream, which I suppose is similar to another world or afterlife.

A lot of people seem to link death to being before they were born, but come to think of it, everyone was always living somehow, so I suppose looking at it that way, you can't really link it to that, therefore any possibility is probable.

But then again, I'm too tired.

Heh, it reaches the same end though, it's still a question without an answer, isn't it? Why and why not are, in this case, pretty much the same thing.

I disagree. I suppose it comes down to the reasoning. Is the reasoning we're speaking of down to causation or purpose? Causation can have reasoning such as God, or the big bang. But purpose? I don't think their necessarily has to be a reason for what our purpose is. What is, is. And what isn't, isn't. Now whether that's true or not, is another matter.

However, it comes down to that wise old philosopher's name that I can't remember's saying:

Why something rather than nothing?

Then again, why not? :cool:

Yeah, I should've said that you don't remember anything at all from your previous life and it would be exactly the same as the one you think you are 'living' at the moment. But have you ever had a dream that's come true? Maybe that's because you knew it had happened in your previous life so was therefore definitely going to happen?

But if your life repeats itself as soon as you die then other people must just be an illusion. Meaning that they start life as you do no matter how old and end it as you do no matter how old. Therefore you must be the only one that is actually living.

I can't really explain my thoughts on this properly, but, it basically boils down to "there had better fucking be something after death..... :cry:"

A lot of people are scared of this outcome but I don't see why. Yes you may never feel love or happiness but you will also never feel sorrow or anger. So you will be unable to feel sorrow about never feeling happiness.

This is why I hate it when people kill them self........ "It will be better because I won't feel pain or sorrow!" No it won't be better because better won't exist anymore. >.> If there is an afterlife pain and sorrow will probably still exist in it soooooo either way you don't get what you wanted.....

Definitely, at the very least I'm going into a cryogenic state.

hmm, personally the possibility of living forever scares me more than death, hence why im no longer scared of death.

Imagine everyone you know and love dying while you dont age a year and the whole world changes around you. Now that IS scary!

This is why I hate it when people kill them self........ "It will be better because I won't feel pain or sorrow!" No it won't be better because better won't exist anymore. >.> If there is an afterlife pain and sorrow will probably still exist in it soooooo either way you don't get what you wanted.....

lol, never heard that put better

Sign in to follow this