N-Europe

.avi files on Mac.

MindFreak

Hi.

I have finally got my MacBook. And I have every episode of the anime Naruto, which are .avi-files. But I cannot see them! Neither QuickTime nor Windows Media Player can load the movies. I have the newest QuickTime installed and Windows Media Player 9. I don't know whether that's the newest installment, but I can't really find an update.

So. Any ideas?

Thanks.

There's a lot of problems with video playback out of the box.

Flip4Mac from Microsoft will allow you to play .wmv files without using their player (it's a .wmv codec for QuickTime) and that's quite good.

To use the BBC website you really need Real Player.. unfortunately there's no alternative there.

QuickTime comes standard.. but if you download on the DivX website you can get a codecs to play in QuickTime.

But unless you have the £20 QuickTime pro you can't enjoy your Naruto in full screen.. which is why I'd also suggest VLC, it works in full screen and it's very good at managing resources.

Hope this helped.

i just have a grudge against Real Player.. I never liked their software on Windows.. always hassling me, and they had the spyware fiasco.

I'd prefer it if the BBC migrated to QuickTime or Windows Media.. but it's their call I suppose.

It's a pretty good Mac port I have to say, I just don't like the format.