N-Europe

Use of CPU power

Zechs Merquise

I tend to read a lot about games and although I only own Nintendo consoles I do take an interest in other formats. Now much has been made about the graphical power of Wii in comparison with that of the XBOX 360 and the PS3.

I was reading the XBOX 360 news over on IGN, and read a preview for Gears of War. What baffled me was when the writer discussed 'slow down' in the game. Now we've all experienced this, and it's the one thing I hate most when playing an FPS - a jerky framerate and slow down.

Now you'd reckon with all the power of the 360 all games would be running in silky smooth and stable 60 frames per second. But no.

The sad thing with the graphical race is that all we are seeing is the same FPS, with you running into the room, which contains X many enemies and clearing them out, and when the 'x' becomes too big, we see slow down and frame rate issues - just like we did on the N64.

Now back on the N64 i accepted this a lot more. Now I don't. I would happily trade a good number of the graphical bells and whistles to have a solid and smooth frame rate. But instead developers seem to just care about making the game look as good as they can in terms of sheer visual detail - regardless of how it affects the game play.

This leads to us essentially playing visually improved versions of the same game. With all this processing power, how about a simplistic approach, but one where you were dumped on a WW1 battlefield litterally surrounded by hundreds of comrades as you charged over the top at hundreds of enemies? The true feeling of being in a real war.

I think the Wii may not have the graphical power of the 360 or PS3, but at least we may have some games which aren't just last generations models with a lick of new paint.

normally if you play 360 games in sd you get a better frame rate and none of those issues. My friend only plays COD in sd on his hdtv nowadays as he vaues framerate.

Developers will always push the console to the limits. Wii will have slow down and framerate issues on poorly developed game too.

I tend to read a lot about games and although I only own Nintendo consoles I do take an interest in other formats. Now much has been made about the graphical power of Wii in comparison with that of the XBOX 360 and the PS3.

I was reading the XBOX 360 news over on IGN, and read a preview for Gears of War. What baffled me was when the writer discussed 'slow down' in the game. Now we've all experienced this, and it's the one thing I hate most when playing an FPS - a jerky framerate and slow down.

Now you'd reckon with all the power of the 360 all games would be running in silky smooth and stable 60 frames per second. But no.

The sad thing with the graphical race is that all we are seeing is the same FPS, with you running into the room, which contains X many enemies and clearing them out, and when the 'x' becomes too big, we see slow down and frame rate issues - just like we did on the N64.

Now back on the N64 i accepted this a lot more. Now I don't. I would happily trade a good number of the graphical bells and whistles to have a solid and smooth frame rate. But instead developers seem to just care about making the game look as good as they can in terms of sheer visual detail - regardless of how it affects the game play.

This leads to us essentially playing visually improved versions of the same game. With all this processing power, how about a simplistic approach, but one where you were dumped on a WW1 battlefield litterally surrounded by hundreds of comrades as you charged over the top at hundreds of enemies? The true feeling of being in a real war.

I think the Wii may not have the graphical power of the 360 or PS3, but at least we may have some games which aren't just last generations models with a lick of new paint.

Some excellent points there and I think you hit the nail on the head - it's the emperors new clothes really - all show and no go! I agree with Nintendo's philosophy this time round it's not about just the graphics it's about the game!

Let's hope the public agrees :indeed:

I think its a bit from column A, and a little from column B.

New controller = cool

Better graphics = cool

New controller + better graphics = genius

On themselves, a new controller doesn't mean games will be better, neither is it with graphics. Its all about balance people

I think its a bit from column A, and a little from column B.

New controller = cool

Better graphics = cool

New controller + better graphics = genius

On themselves, a new controller doesn't mean games will be better, neither is it with graphics. Its all about balance people

What an eloquent way of putting it ZeldaFreak and yeah I agree! :shock:

normally if you play 360 games in sd you get a better frame rate and none of those issues. My friend only plays COD in sd on his hdtv nowadays as he vaues framerate.

Developers will always push the console to the limits. Wii will have slow down and framerate issues on poorly developed game too.

I don't know if this is a bad example or not, but was watching a mate play Oblivion the other night on SD, and that had some major stints of lag and general slowdown.

There was not any baddies in the area, but maybe it was because he was going to a new place.... i don't know.

60 fps will never become the standard in games. The essential job of the computer program that is the video game is drawing frames for the screen to display. Now, if you could half the amount of frames a game has to push a game can spend (almost) twice as much work on drawing one frame and that means you can create better graphics easily, while it doesn't really mean that much of a difference for the player.

The reason why modern games aren't that much bothered by sloppy framerates anymore is because graphics have become more and more GPU based, which means that the CPU gets a more constant amount of work to do, meaning it doesn't have to slow down everytime the game has to draw a lightning bolt. Flaws in code still create slowdowns but they're less common now.

The Cube was very optimised to keep up a constant amount of frames and I'm pretty sure the Wii will do as good in that as the GameCube.

I would reckon the Wii will have worse frame rates. Why? Because developers will push it as far as they can in order to make the graphics look at least a little competitive, but your point is still good. I dont play a lot of console games these days, ive kind of converted to the PC, and nearly every game i play i run in lowest settings because the framerate is the best ([lies]has nothing to do with my crappy 64MB GCard[/lies]).

As I said though, it's not only the framerates, but the fact that with all this power we could create some really new experiences. At the moment I'm playing Rainbow Six Lockdown on the Gamecube, and some of the enviroments are really big, and there's no slowdown and it;s a really smooth frame rate - I love it. I reckon the 360 shouyld easily be able to pump out beautiful games and keep the frame rate constant.

When I play shooters on the PCI always optimise the settings for frame rate over detail. I just find it amazing that with all this power, we're still experiencing the same problems we did on the N64.

I would reckon the Wii will have worse frame rates. Why? Because developers will push it as far as they can in order to make the graphics look at least a little competitive, but your point is still good. I dont play a lot of console games these days, ive kind of converted to the PC, and nearly every game i play i run in lowest settings because the framerate is the best ([lies]has nothing to do with my crappy 64MB GCard[/lies]).

I disagree 100%, because devs are already worrying more about framerate than flashy graphics and because since devs know they can't have ps3 graphics they'll make the framerate stable. Just looks at Excitetruck, Mario Galaxy and MP3 all have very good graphics and stable framerates.