NEurope
Mikey

Half Life 2

You can't compare those CPU's directly. For starters home CPU's have 17/30 stages, Wii's CPU is most likely at 7.

That's a lot of efficiency; Wii might not be a super computer but it does surpass a 1,5 GHz home CPU no problem.

Besides it ran in Xbox who actually had a weaker CPU than GC did. (funny since it was clocked at 733 MHz and GC was 486 MHz). That said I wouldn't be satisfied with HL2 Xbox graphics.

As for RAM and VRAM, that's why it's a port, textures will be converted to 256x256 and look fine in SD resolution.

Techno-bable the Wii will not get Half Life 2, and for all the stats that you throw around the proof is in the pudding, and in this case there will be no pudding!

Techno-bable the Wii will not get Half Life 2, and for all the stats that you throw around the proof is in the pudding, and in this case there will be no pudding!

You're being ignorant. He's trying to say that it's possible, not that it's happening. HL2 Wii would outshine the Xbox version if they tried properly, and that's a fact.

If they'd include CS: Source and maybe some HL episodes I'd imagine it could turn out a big Wii title.

Remember, also, the PC version of Half Life 2 would need higher specs than say, the XBOX version, mostly because of Windows running in the backround, which uses one hell of a lot of your computer's resources. Of course, not forgetting to mention that the PC version has higher quality textures, higher resolution, higer poly-count, etc...

Why would I need HL2 on the Wii anyway? PC version is superior in gameplay + graphics and I am sure that the Wii version would be 60€ compared to the PC version for 10-20€ (including CS, DOD, etc.).

Also a port would mean a lot of work for the developers so I doubt they would add multiplayer functionality.

I can't believe why there are so many people obsessed with HL2 for the Wii. To be honest I am even disappointed with the PC version. It took Valve ages to finish the game and the result is average in my eyes.

It would be possible to run HL2 on the Wii but I guess graphics have to be cut back a lot. Loading times would be a issue and the physics engine (even though it is rather small) would cause the CPU to fall apart. XBOX had the advantage of being a rather PCish console - porting was a simple task.

You're being ignorant. He's trying to say that it's possible, not that it's happening. HL2 Wii would outshine the Xbox version if they tried properly, and that's a fact.

He is ignorant, he just likes to hide that fact.

The XBox version you must mean?

The Wii couldn't handle the source engine at full steam. (Geddit :hehe:)

Ba-dum PSH.

Wha..!? But the reason I came's because I was told there'd be pudding! :(

Why would I need HL2 on the Wii anyway? PC version is superior in gameplay + graphics and I am sure that the Wii version would be 60€ compared to the PC version for 10-20€ (including CS, DOD, etc.).
You're right about the graphics, but not everybody has the PC to run the game. I myself can only run the game with poor graphics. You're also missing the point that started this thread - the Wiimote. Not only should is the FPS experience likely to be good, but the gravity gun, crowbar and vehicle gameplay would own.
Also a port would mean a lot of work for the developers so I doubt they would add multiplayer functionality.
True, but if there's money in it, what's to lose?
It would be possible to run HL2 on the Wii but I guess graphics have to be cut back a lot. Loading times would be a issue and the physics engine (even though it is rather small) would cause the CPU to fall apart. XBOX had the advantage of being a rather PCish console - porting was a simple task.
The porting to Xbox was flawless, and the physics engine wasn't cut down in any way. The graphics could also be done pretty well considering the Wii is (considerably) more powerful than the Xbox. Your point on the PC port the Xbox had is valid, but if the demand is big enough Valve would be willing to port to a less familiair platform. At the moment though, I doubt they're even considering it.

Valve's Gabe Newell:

GI: Do you think from now on you’ll keep outsourcing PS3 projects [ed: Orange Box for PS3 is being done by EA], or will you start bringing those projects in house?

Newell: I think we’ll bring them in house more for licensees issues than our own. Just for our own priorities, that puts the Wii at a much higher priority at understanding that. I think the Wii represents more of a challenge because of its input. You can think of the Xbox 360 as pretty much a PC and a PlayStation as kind of a PC. The Wii gives you a bunch of problems that don’t fit into that model. You can’t think of it as graphics, CPU, texture bandwith scaling, you have to think of it as more fundamentally, and I think it’s more valuable. I think it’s more interesting than just graphics chip – CPU combination. It’s the machine I have at home. The fact that we don’t have anything in development on it even though it represents big opportunities as a whole, it’s an obvious hole in our strategy.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200708/N07.0827.1503.17430.htm?Page=3

Yeah, I'm getting HL2 Orange box for my 360 after already owning HL2 for my PC, but considering the Wii has yet to prove it's even as powerful as the original Xbox, I don't think it can even do it.

Yeah, I'm getting HL2 Orange box for my 360 after already owning HL2 for my PC, but considering the Wii has yet to prove it's even as powerful as the original Xbox, I don't think it can even do it.

If Valve would like it they could do it but I doubt they regard the Wii as a primary target for their HL/Team Fortress franchise.

They will probably start with a smaller budget game and if it sells well I am sure they will start to increase effort on the Wii.

considering the Wii has yet to prove it's even as powerful as the original Xbox, I don't think it can even do it.
We know it is, there's no use in starting to discuss that when we know as much.

it's been done before in this thread, should be a no brainer now and without shadow of doubt.

I don't see them porting HL2 to the Wii, but it sounds like they're interested in something.

I don't see them porting HL2 to the Wii, but it sounds like they're interested in something.
They've said it before, they won't, they are interested in doing a new IP for it (and basically claimed they just needed a good concept to give the go ahead).

Personally I'd say that before Team Fortress 2, Portal and HL2 Episode 2 are finished (for the PC since the PS3 and X360 versions are ported by EA) they don't have the free resources they need; so I'd say decisions will be taken either in September (if the game goes gold like 1 month prior) otherwise after October, but they are probably willing to start development this year.

When is this coming out to the wii then?

It's not. Yeah, I think this topic is a bit deceptive, don't you guys? A topic called Half Life 2, with no other subtitle, in the Wii Forum...?