N-Europe

1 Million Wii Units At Launch In North America

DiemetriX

Well considering the amazingly low launch units Sony has, it shouldn't be hard, especially in Japan.

I can't wait to see the press releases.

PS3 Launch:

Sony: We sold out all of our 100,000 units what a successful launch

Wii Launch:

Nintendo: Wii sold out all our (insert number which will most likely be over 200,000) units.

Reggie: hahaha, another name taken and ass well and truly kicked

Sony: Damn that blu-ray:angry:

lol

1 million for North America i think its more than enought, but what about europe :wtf: if shortages were to occure which i thnk will happen imagine the prices of Wii on ebay £500+

or they'll go.. crap now we have no Christmas present for him, is there anything else?

Oh what's this, a Nintendo Wii... wow look at the price that's a much better deal

Actually now that i think of it, the price of the PS3 would make it very unfriendly for a childs Christmas present, I know some parents like to spoil their kids but most do have a limit

Don't think people actually think like that. For example, when I want to buy a particular TV and nobody has it in stock, I wouldn't then go a buy another one, regardless of it being cheaper.

I think if a parent has put aside £500 for a PS3 and a few games, they won't then go and spend it on something else, as their child will just end up saying "I want a PS3" three-months down the line.

There's also the fact that Sony's last two consoles not only sold bucketloads, they've also got the majority lead in audience and brand loyalty. Sony has many more consumers supporting it than Nintendo has, and because it's PlayStation 3, audiences "know" they'll be getting a quality system and tonnes and tonnes of games.

And before the "PS3 is hard to develop for" shit starts flying around, the PS2 was also hard to develop for, that didn't stop many developers making games for it. GameCube was probably the easiest to make games for, yet many companies abandoned it.

There's no major war any more, at least not on Nintendo's end. Whilst it'll probably end up selling loads, Wii isn't part of the conflict: it's Sony vs. Microsoft.

I expect we'll rarely see any made-for-PS3/360 games getting Wii ports, because they're two completely different types of gaming machine. Wii I think will be more like the PC, with its own set of games and style of gameplay, away from Xbox 360 and the PS3 games.

I agree with Mokong. The demand for a PS3 will still be high, there's no doubt about that but I can see a lot of frustrated people buying a 360 or a Wii instead. Microsoft and Nintendo have a great opportunity to benefit at the expense of Sony this Christmas.

These people may and probably will go on to get a PS3 eventually, but I think in the crazy rush up to Christmas they might decide to spend their cash elsewhere.

Well considering the amazingly low launch units Sony has, it shouldn't be hard, especially in Japan.

I can't wait to see the press releases.

PS3 Launch:

Sony: We sold out all of our 100,000 units what a successful launch

Wii Launch:

Nintendo: Wii sold out all our (insert number which will most likely be over 200,000) units.

Reggie: hahaha, another name taken and ass well and truly kicked

Sony: Damn that blu-ray:angry:

Haha :) Nice one Mokong.

But I'm sure that is what is going to happen. Same in the US.

I agree with Mokong. The demand for a PS3 will still be high, there's no doubt about that but I can see a lot of frustrated people buying a 360 or a Wii instead. Microsoft and Nintendo have a great opportunity to benefit at the expense of Sony this Christmas.

I'm personally hoping Microsoft do well this Christmas, but those new bundles coming out speak for themselves; I told one of my neighbour's kid about the Gears of War one and he was glad. Then I said HMV are doing a "Premium System + PGR3 + Extra Controller = £300" deal and he said he'll probably buy one then.

Haha you gone proved my guesstimation theory wrong.

I think they said 4 million by March 2007?

With the DS lite they were happy to launch with about 700,000 then the follow up stock came soon after. I don't think there will be quite 1 million on launch for Europe, but probably not far off.

no 4 million by 31st december and 6 million units by 31st march 2007

It'll sell out tbh, if not on the first day certainly in the following 2 days.

Media: Wii launches, here it is in action, here are some people queuing.. this years newest toy.. yadda yadda cheaper than the xbox 360 and the PS3.

Nintendo: supplies are more limited than they truely are.

Media frenzy everyone panics and buys one.

I've been through 3 generations of console pre-orders now, I think it will sell out. The weekend it launches on in the US is like the busiest holiday shopping period before Christmas I think someone on the 4cr podcasts said. It's when Nintendo always launches.

I think in Japan there is a factor that you aren't considering, the DS is hugely popular.. made by Nintendo, when people find out the Wii is launching made by the people who made the DS they will probably go nuts.

They aren't the same but Nintendo certainly are aiming for that hype again.

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of June 2006)

PS2 - 106.23 million

Xbox - 24.5 million (unofficially estimated)

GameCube - 21 million

Xbox 360 - 5 million

Game Boy Advance - 75.81 million

Nintendo DS - 21.27 million

PSP - 19.05 million

- Experts

Oh yeah, the PSP is a total flop. Nintendo has the biggest lead ever with the DS. Why don't Sony just give up? Such a misconception that the PSP is getting owned.. it's not done bad in my honest opinion.. just very few games are sold for it.

By the way Nintendo go a slight head start as well.

The handheld market is very different to the home console market.

PS2 owned the last generation of home consoles, but their PSP wasn't big at all.

Nintendo flopped (globally) with their last one, but their Gameboy/DS owned all.

Again, PS2 is everybody's console, PSP is a chav console aimed at techies only. It's a gadget and that's a niche market. The PS3 is aiming at the same market.

Again, PS2 is everybody's console, PSP is a chav console aimed at techies only. It's a gadget and that's a niche market. The PS3 is aiming at the same market.

Hence the higher price-tag. But in making it a "niche" item, they'll spark mass consumer interest, and they'll sell many systems.

iPod was a niche item that was then seen as cool, and is now the dominant MP3 player on the market.

PSP - 19.05 million

- Experts

Oh yeah, the PSP is a total flop. Nintendo has the biggest lead ever with the DS. Why don't Sony just give up? Such a misconception that the PSP is getting owned.. it's not done bad in my honest opinion.. just very few games are sold for it.

Fuck, it's doing quite well. I hope they have more big games in the future, however I'm buying the new PSP GTA game this week sometime.

PSP - 19.05 million

- Experts

Where are those statistics on the source you gave? They seem to be the shipped numbers, which I have seen discussed previously; it's been shown that there is actually a 20-40% difference, dependant upon region, between Sony's shipped figures and the actual sales. Have you never noticed that Sony always quote shipped units, whilst Nintendo quote sold units?