NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Leaving Home

This isn't another whiny 'I hate the world' thread, but I was just wondering, what sort of costs are there when leaving home for the first time.

I'm always told that I can't afford it, yet I wonder how anyone manages to leave home if its that expensive. I'm not going to show my exact wage on here but its under £1000 after tax each month. Would I have enough? I know that its obviously going to vary, but what could I expect to be paying per month on a 1 bedroom flat?

Could anyone offer any advice to me or anyone else who wants to leave home for the first time?

Probably the best thing to do would be to would be to take a little look around a few estate agents to get a vague idea of flat prices in the area you want to move to. Food and and bills I reckon would be around £200 to £300. It will probably be a little tight, but probably possible with a cheap flat. Also you might want to think about going in with a flatshare as well, it would probably be cheaper then a flat on your own.

Living on your own, no chance if you want to eat and the like. If you find a couple of friends to live with and split all the bills equaly then yeah its do-able

Im not sure how it works with flats, but we're renting a 2-bed terrace and we have to pay council tax, water, gas and electric bills, phone-broadband-and-TV bills, inventory insurance, TV license and food costs on top of our ?700 a month rent. It probably costs a combined total of ?1000 a month. Luckily there are two of us, or we would never have been able to manage it. But then, we do live in Surrey.

It will really depend on the area youre going to live in. Your estate agent will be the best one to advise you, as they will be able to tell you the set-up costs involved as well (most landlords require a month or twos rent in advance, as well as the fees the estate agents themselves will charge you for the priviledge of renting one of their clients properties - cheeky bastards). Alternatively, you can go through a private ad, but be warned - chances are you will have no one to back you up if anything goes wrong (estate agents make sure all the paperwork is in place so if there are any issues on your side or your landlords they act as an intermediary. Thats the theory anyway). If you live in a fairly cheap area you might be able to get by, though you may have to totally sacrifice your social life. I agree with Noodleman in that it will be infinitely easier if you can get a (reliable!) mate to share a flat with; you wont pay heaps more for a two bed, and two incomes will make things much more comfortable.

________

Jugallette

Edited by Johelian

I wanted to move out but it was way too expensive. May just be where I live but prices are extortionate anyway. Save for quite a while so you got a sizeable lump sum to help out.

So what you're basically saying is, give up the dream. Lol. I don't really have any friends that I'd want to live with. And, tbh I think I'd end up just as annoyed, because I would have just as little space only less money :-( Stupid world.

I take home slightly less than a grand a month and i have my own flat. It's not easy, but i'm managing. just don't be too choosey in what area you live.

I take home slightly less than a grand a month and i have my own flat. It's not easy, but i'm managing. just don't be too choosey in what area you live.

what area do you live in then? lol

I'd say (unless you're going to uni and student accoming it, which I presume you're not) find a friend in a similar sitch. Living alone is very difficult unless you have a decent (and steady) pay cheque, but with one or two friends its easy. Its weird, a 1 bedroom apartment, a 2 bedroom apartment and a three bedroom house can be similar in prices.

I was going to move in with my friend around this time, but a few months ago we decided not to (official reason 'clasing personalities' which is bull, we used to spend days together. his new girlfriend is an irritating bint...anyway...) I am now going to move into his ex fiance (also a friend)'s basement, so im doing that up.

But as I said, if you can find a friend it will make the dream more attainable.

what area do you live in then? lol

my postcode says edgbaston, but its not. it's more like ladywood. i looked at a place in duddeston too, but that was just too bad an area. apologies if thats where you lkive!

I still cant really afford to move out.. well i could but if i did i wouldnt have any social life... I get about a grand and half a month after tax and to rent a basic flat is about £800pm where i live.. then all the other bills on top which will push it well over a grand a month to just live. It's crap.

I pay me mum £300 a month housekeeping at the mo and it suits me fine for now...but im getting older and in a couple of years ive gotta sort something out.

I dont wanna be a hermit who cant go out/do things cos all my money is spent on my flat/house to live in.

Move to Australia, much cheaper. lol

Actually, that IS very true. Not for me though, could never handle the heat. Or the temperature.

Im heading back to college (uni for you UK folk) in a week and its costing me €360 rent per month. Ill look to spend about €100 a month on food (tops....absolute tops) and Ill have gas and electricity to pay to. So each month ill be looking to spend (at the very, very most) €500. Its all I can afford.

Sign in to follow this