NEurope
CVD

MacMini

Since I started Uni last year I've been using my Dell Laptop as my main computer: holding all my music, video and other documents. But now the storage space is running dry, and I'm going to need a main computer as a backup to store all my files as I take the laptop to Uni everyday, and keeping 10s of GBs worth of Music on it just isn't neseccery.

So, I've been looking into getting a MacMini as they're pretty cheap and I (think) can use my existing Samsung 26" TV (LE26R41BD) as a monitor. So basically, if anyone has any experience of a MacMini or could recommend something just as good and cheaper, it would be mucho appreciated.

I've got one!

I love it, and with the new ones, if you really want to, you can install Windows XP, although I dont know why you would want to do that.

I read somewhere yesterday that they're planning to upgrade them pretty soon.

Talk to me on MSN about it if you want.

Anything with a new core duo is awesome, add in OSX and your laughing.

Few more questions:

Can I run a half-decent MSN on a Mac?

What port would I use to connect it to my VGA monitor?

indexports20060229.jpg

You can get a DVI > VGA adapter and you can get MSN to run fine. However, you SHOULD use boot camp. Because OSX is terrible!!

Because OSX is terrible!!

That completely defeats the purpose of getting a Mac :heh:

There are loads of good MSN clients out there. I know JonSt uses Adium which is virtually the same as Trillian. I mix and match depending on how I'm feeling. I'm using aMSN at the moment which supports just about everything MSN 7.5 does.

My Mac Mini came with an adaptor to convert the DVI/VGA thing for my VGA monitor.

That completely defeats the purpose of getting a Mac :heh:

There are loads of good MSN clients out there. I know JonSt uses Adium which is virtually the same as Trillian. I mix and match depending on how I'm feeling. I'm using aMSN at the moment which supports just about everything MSN 7.5 does.

My Mac Mini came with an adaptor to convert the DVI/VGA thing for my VGA monitor.

Did you order from the official Apple site or just buy it in a shop? I might also look into getting a built PC for as cheap as possible, but the Mini seems pretty awesome.

Because that's boring.

Exactly, the whole point in a mac is the OS, the best known to man. If your getting the new Mac Mini, id use either Adium or aMSN as they have optimized binaries for intel cpu's, you could also have a look at fire, not used it myself though. Any more questions just ask, in sure me and Moria can answer them :)

I also ordered mine from the Apple shop, good service but the courier was wank (not Apple's fault of course) If your looking for something cheap the I'd avoid Apple, you pay for what you get after all.

i got a mac mini too (a old one with a powerpc g4 1,25ghz) and yeah it's working pretty fine, but in my opinion it's not a substition for my athlon xp. but a neat and quiet internet machine :D

Apple's Intel-based Mac mini is scheduled for a speed bump revision in the near future, Think Secret has learned. The update will eliminate the only Core Solo-based product from Apple's line-up, moving the 1.66GHz Core Duo model to the low-end and positioning a new 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac mini at the top.

Other specifications of the updated Mac mini are expected to stay mostly the same as the current configuration, sources say. A specific release date is not known, but the new systems are said to be ready for production, suggesting a release within weeks.

Source: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0608macmini.html

Finally they're getting rid of that core-solo, mac mini's value was easily the worse out of all mac computers available, maximum cpu was like... dual core 1,66 GHz? when even macbook ships with 1,83 GHz? now it's more like it.

there's something apple still didn't userstand, they don't have to separate the product lines that much.

I hate imacs because of the embedded screen so I'd rather have a mini, why don't they make mac mini's that are more powerfull; cpu-wise than the starting line iMac?

Why does the macbook black edition, only has a GMA with 64 MB shared? lol, they could at least provide a GMA with 128 or 256 shared MB... this is crucial for exposé performance:

Since the OS X desktop environment is completely OpenGL accelerated, the performance of features like Exposé are not CPU limited - instead, they are GPU limited. Luckily, using Exposé with many windows open is not very stressful on even a Radeon 9600, but you do run out of video memory very quickly - in which case, your system ends up swapping to main memory over the AGP bus, making the Exposé animation considerably choppy. It seems that the sweet spot for more than a handful of windows open is around 128MB of video memory, with 256MB being perfect - needless to say, I found the mere 64MB that came on the Radeon 9600 which shipped with the system to be too little. There is no detriment to functionality if you don't have enough video memory; the Exposé animation simply becomes more choppy (which can be annoying on a $3000 system).
Source: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232&p=6

This is a 2004 article... now... one of the main issues was that the AGP bus was more limited, and GMA950 is PCI-E so GMA actually performs better, less choppy... But... a GPU with 64 MB comes at a cost for MacOs...

Apple doesn't give figures about this GPU acelerated GUI, but it should be somewhat like Microsoft's rip-off... Aero-glass:

Requeriments:

-64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with less than 1280x1024 (1,310,720 pixels)

-128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions up to 1920x1200 (2,304,000 pixels)

-256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 1920x1200 (2,304,000 pixels); i.e. 30" wide 2560x1600

---------------------------

MacOS X is the best OS I've ever used, seriously... but although Mac Mini is a good machine and all, it's not enough for me, mainly due to the 2 GB limitation.

You just have to learn how to using it, when migrating from Windows...

Also although I dislike windows, I need to have it installed, a intelmac is the best of both worlds.

What port would I use to connect it to my VGA monitor?

My mac mini had a converter in the box when it arrived :)

I got one when it first came out. Cool little machine which has completely converted me to OS X. Infact i never use my vastly more powerful PC. I wish i had an intel so i could get rid of it!

BTW My brother seems to think if you buy from John Lewis you get a 2 year warranty. Which can only be good thing if the price is the same.

Cheers for the tip-off Haver, as long as the price doesnt jump too much I might just get one in time for Uni in October.

Cheers for the tip-off Haver, as long as the price doesnt jump too much I might just get one in time for Uni in October.
why not buy a macbook instead? it has a better CPU (1,83 GHz) has a embedded screen, battery, keyboard and mouse included (in a laptop enclosure) and a iSight camera... considering they cost £500/530 pounds... £750 for a entry level macbook feels unexpensive for what it offers.

Colin: Steve Jobs is giving a keynote on the 12th, and word is the Mac Minis are getting Core Duos, so I'd bookmark Engadget or something and check it out.

Colin: Steve Jobs is giving a keynote on the 12th, and word is the Mac Minis are getting Core Duos, so I'd bookmark Engadget or something and check it out.

Mac Mini's already have Core Duo's :p

Mac Mini's already have Core Duo's :p
yeah, but core solo is not gonna be in there anymore...

Anyway I'd like a Core Solo as long as it's cheap... (499?) Mac mini allows you to change CPU's anyway.

There's people out there putting Core Duo's at 2,33 GHz in it... now THAT'S a mac mini.

I'll stick with my MacBook

2ghz core duo

120 gig hdd

1 gig ram.

I would suggest an external hard drive. Even if you ever do get a Fag Mini, an external HDD will never go to waste.

Check the store, the new stuff is up.

£679 iMac!

EDIT: And Mac Mini upgrades.