N-Europe

Castlevania's 20th Anniversary

Dante

Yesterday it was Donkey Kong's birthday and now it is Castlevania turn.

11053-castle_logo.gif

So happy 20th anniversary to Castlevania. :)

Twenty years is a long time in the video game world -- four console generations, in fact. And through each generation, Konami's Castlevania series has been a mainstay. How has a simple side-scrolling action game rooted in old novels and corny monster movies managed to weather the storms of the industry and still produce some of the most critically-praised games in recent years?

Much of its appeal comes from its content. Castlevania is about exploring gothic castles and long deserted ruins. It's about slaying mythical creatures and thwarting ancient evils. It's about big, leather-clad men wielding whips and long-haired pretty boys meeting their destinies.

Castlevania is about gorgeous graphics that push game hardware to the limits. It's about extravagant artwork and brilliant music. From short synthesizer melodies to moody orchestrations, from blazing power ballads to trippy dance beats, from lush NES-era box art to the delicate brushwork of Ayami Kojima, Castlevania has become synonymous with audio-visual splendor.

Castlevania is about whipping candles -- long-time Castlevania veterans have it down to a science. A forward movement, a press of the jump button, and carefully timed attack would unleash whatever power-up lie hidden behind the candle. The motion is simple, yet it's become as ingrained in the gamer collective subconscious as hitting question mark blocks with your head.

There's so much that defines Castlevania, in fact, that even producer Koji "IGA" Igarashi has difficulty pinning down its essence. "I've been asked this question so many times, yet a definitive answer has always been difficult for me! That said, I think I have grasped the essence of the series, and that is the pure joy that every member of our team gets from working on Castlevania. Nobody gets tired of it, and we all approach each new game with our spirits and minds woven into one. I believe this enthusiasm is why we have been successful with our games."

Perhaps most importantly, Castlevania is about details.

For instance: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night -- regarded by many to be the pinnacle of the series -- contains an item called the Cat-Eye Circlet. Its stated function is to "restore HP by cat damage." Though few felines appear throughout the entire game, there's an item dedicated to protecting against them. So why does this practically useless item even exist? Quite simply, it's there because the designers cared enough to put it there.

The best entries in the series are filled with little touches that show the people involved are having fun. Like the ghostly groundskeeper that mourns the death of his slain dog in Super Castlevania 4 for the SNES, or the myriad hidden treasures found in the NES games, or the strange enemies in Symphony of the Night based off Wizard of Oz characters, or the bizarre assortment of chairs in Curse of Darkness. There are hidden rooms in the PC Engine version of Dracula X that still perplex gamers more than a decade after its release. Every time you replay a Castlevania game, you notice more of the little touches added by its creators -- people who know and love video games.

You can read the rest of 1up article here.