N-Europe

Game Getting Wi-Fi Hotspots

Ashley

So today at work I noticed a plug socket above the door (to the stockroom) and asked if it had always been there. Apparently fitted yesterday for a Wi-Fi hotspot.

They were mentioned a while ago, but I thought it was one of those grand plans that nothing would happen about. So it seems soon (no date yet) most, if not all, Game stores should get hotspots. We're a pretty small store so I'd imagine most Games would have them.

I can't think of much of a good reason for them, as people who want to play their DS or PSP online would come in yes, but would clog the store up. If we had a café like area that would be better. Ah well, free (im presuming) internet usage at lunch on my laptop.

I had been told about this a while ago, i was talking to the manager about why they didnt stock the wifi adapters and in the discussion he had said that although there wasnt a market for them, they may have wifi fitted in. He said he wasnt too fond of the proposition due to the fact that it may have loitering in store, people just standing around getting in the way of customers.

There is no good use unless you live next to a game store, most people have wifi access in their homes or in a place close.

I had been told about this a while ago, i was talking to the manager about why they didnt stock the wifi adapters

We do, just rarely. Had about six in since they were launched (well actually in the last two months, never had any round launch)

The only Game-related benefit I can find is for the people who ask us how to get the internet on their DS or PSP, we could set it up there, rather than instruct them and hope they remember when they get home.

We do, just rarely. Had about six in since they were launched (well actually in the last two months, never had any round launch)

The only Game-related benefit I can find is for the people who ask us how to get the internet on their DS or PSP, we could set it up there, rather than instruct them and hope they remember when they get home.

Yeah, but i've noticed some staff members were totally clueless to run a DS. We have 2 Games in our town, one inside the center, one outside. On the inside, i had the discussion with that manager. On the outside, there are staff members which are very knowledgable towards games. The staff members on the inside have no fricken clue, one of the staff members recommended to some customer to buy both colours of DS lite so they get the full fucking benefit of the console as they offered different things, and the others are PS2 hugging freaks. Why they work in a video game store when they have not even the slightest clue about video games i'l never know.

Basicly, the point of this is, that although your idea for staff members to show off the wifi feature in the handhelds is infact a very good idea, some staff members are going to be lazy about this, thus making it useless having it in some stores.

Ah well, its not my money being wasted, why do i care? :heh:

Why they work in a video game store when they have not even the slightest clue about video games i'l never know.

Moneys money. We'd all like to work in a store that suited us but not everyone can.

Anyway our store is like an IT support centre at times.

Thats more of a shameless plug than related news :P Oh and kinda related to that, the manager of Pally Brum is called Tina. Was speaking about her to my manager today, he said she was shite.

hehe, im surprised she's still there if everyone thinks that about her!

she asked me the other day if i needed any help, i said no, she then followed me round and when i picked up a singstar game she said 'you need to use microphones with that game' . . . grrrrr felt like hitting her . . . HARD!

haven't heard of this yet but i wouldn't be surprised. maybe it'll be for wii demo pods too? who knows?

i'm thinking of leaving GAME anyway. our area managers are complete wankers! our store isn't allowed to sell any mint games or hardware if it's over £20!! only preowned. why? coz in september r store will have been open a year, and when august of next year hits they want the growth percentage to be sky high so they can all get a great big pat on the back from GAME HQ in England!!! seriously!

and they're also celebrating coz at the minute our preowned percentage is so high HQ is praising them!! if only HQ knew they are cheating!

its ridiculous!! we have to tell people to go to our other store in Belfast. as far as i know this is illegal. GAME HQ don't know about it, if they did i'm sure these guys would be fired!! they are manipulating the system for their own gain and i can't stand by and lie to customers any more, especially as i have used GAME for years myself. i can tell you once i leave i won't be buying anything there ever again until they're all fired and new management brought in. and >>I<< will be the one to squeal on them!

Tell Head Office or whoever, or even get a few people to ring up (people you know) and say something like "They refused to sell me (a title that is over £30 new) even though I could see it in their cabinets. They offered me pre-owned (for under £30) but I didn't want it." Obviously pretend like you can't remember the person who served you's name (don't want to get people in trouble, just the regional manager).