NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Rate that album!

Since is festival season and im sure a few of you are going to some (going reading myself) i thought it was time for a rate that album thread.

Muse - Balck Holes and Revelations

image2_1180769.jpg

10/10

I thought following up the amazing absolution would very much be a tour de force and then when muse released Supermassive Black Hole i knew it was over, however the song unexpectivley grew on me, I slowley became addicted. Black Holes and Reverlations fails to dissapoint, wether its the scream of Assassin or the beat of Map of the Problematique, i love it all.

What have you been listening too?

Angels And Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper

B000F8DTDC.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_V54202321_.jpg

7/10

Tom DeLonge from blink-182 left blink to start his own band together with David Kennedy (Bassist from Box Car Racer (Wich Tom also was a member in)), Atom Willard (Used to be the drummer from The Offspring) and Ryan Sinn (Bassist from The Destillers). The album has 10-11 tracks (depending on wich version you have). There are some really good tracks on this album, my personal favourites are It Hurts, The Adenture, The War and the U.K. Bonus version of Start The Machine. But the minus on this album is that some of the tracks become to similiar. I still give this album a 7/10 because I really like the songs I mentioned ^_^

Placebo - Meds

placebo_meds.jpg

A return to form; Placebo returned earlier this year with their fifth album, "Meds". Featuring appearances from fellow musicians Alison VV Mosshart, (The Kills) and Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) they have managed to increase their sonic palate whilst staying true to what Placebo have always been about; sex, drugs, love and addiction.

The opening track, "Meds," seems to be about someone forgetting to take their prozac. Alison's haunting vocal track reminds them; "Baby, did you forget to take your meds?" Other highlights include the latest single, "Infra-Red," a song with possibly one of the most memorable lines of the year, "Someone call the ambulance, there's gonna be an accident," clearly a song about revenge, "Space Monkey," an experimental electronic track featuring a beautiful orchestral background and "Song To Say Goodbye," where lead singer Brian Molko writes a letter to himself, saying farewell to a life of debauchery and drugs.

Although not quite an intense as Without You I'm Nothing, it's certainly close, the closest they've been in a long time. 8/10

currently i am not obsessing over nay particular album, but i am counting the days till the 21st when the mars volta release the follow up to frances the mute, which is probably my favourite ever album. then a few weeks later mastodon release their new album. its going to be a good few weeks!

i have just discovered regina spektor however, which i'm loving. i saw her recently and she has a lovely voice.

i have just discovered regina spektor however, which i'm loving. i saw her recently and she has a lovely voice.

Keep meaning to check her out. My friend keeps talking about her. Last band she talked about this much was Tegan & Sara and I'm liking them.

Outside of the VM soundtrack not been listening to many albums, not all the way through at least. Im going shopping on Friday and hoping to pick up a few, I'm really wanting Cotton Mather's album (called Kontika or something like that), but apparently its quite rare.

sfmstdiz7.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk

This album is just f***in fantastic. I sometimes wonder what these songs would have sounded like had the album been completed. (Although we can never ask that question).

Every single song is amazing in it's way. Maybe by the simplicity of The Sky Is A Landfill or Haven't You Heard. Or the majestic beauty of Everybody Here Wants You, Morning Theft, Opened Once or Jewel Box, the incompleted like I Know We Could Be So Happy Baby (If We Wanted To Be), Jewel Box or Gunshot Glitter or even the strange like You & I, Murder Suicide Meteor Slave or Demon John.

You cannot particularly say if this is better than Grace, I don't want to hear anybody compare this album with Grace, there is no point.

9.9/10.

Lost Prophets - LIBERATION TRANSMISSION

gateway_05.jpg

8/10

i LOVED the first two albums but this one isnt as good...dont get me its a great album but the first 2 are better. This album has rock tracks and then some mellower/slow songs and all live up to the 5ks that was rewarded to them by kerrang

The first song "everyday combat" is a upbeat rock track and really sets up for the rest of the album as its a good song to headbang/dance whatevers your poision.

Other tracks i really enjoy on the album include "4am forever", "everybodys screaming" and "always all ways".

its a great album but if you have been a fan of theres since the first album you may be a little disappointed

Umm well lets see, out of recent releases...

B000FMGTTE.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64490006_.jpg

I loved the film and one of the reasons why was it's astounding soundtrack, John Ottman who usually colaborates with Singer has crafted an fantastic score full of memorable tunes and choir music to give it an epic feel to go with a rather epic movie. John Williams would be proud.

789341226_l.jpg

Mute Math are a new band that my friend told me about a few weeks ago and I love them! They have a really original sound, with electronic tunes mixed with a rocky beat. The guys voice is also amazing (he kinda sounds like Sting)

I urge people to check them out http://www.myspace.com/mutemath

Jeff Buckley - Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk

This album is just f***in fantastic.

Quoted for the win tbh I love this album so much. Get this and Grace for full buckley enjoyment!

vfvd.gif

Reuben - Very Fast Very Dangerous

Picked up this album after i heard them at a gig supporting the main act, and frankly im quite impressed. I only really started likeing Music around 2 years ago and ive already sampled alot of things and ive got around 250 albums in my collection so far, so i would say that, when i hear good music, i KNOW its good music.

Reubens music is not going to get them onto the mainstream, thats a fact, i suspect this band will probably split after their next album, if they even get that far. Dont know if any of you have ever heard any 60's rock, the kind of stuff that was shunned because it was too loud for the old fogies back in those days, it kinda sounds like that, very retro very simplistic, they only use around 3 or 4 chords for all their songs, but fu*k me, they can play, and then some. The singer/songwriter Jamie Lenman should be writing songs for Morrisey or whoever he is ;) And his voice, he can wildy change the tone of his voice in a split second, from whispering melodic harmonies to gut wrenching screams just like that, its no wonder i shit myself the first time i listened to the album.

Its the slow songs that really get me in this album, the Lyrics again are excellent, the way it is put together and they way they can taint their instruments to perfection is just the icing on the cake.

Theres something on this album for everyone, and i reccomend you pick it up.

Words from Reuben Myspace...

8.9/10 -

B0007GAEVW.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jack Johnson - In Between dreams 8/10

There isnt a bad track on this album, which is great, but the songs 'Better Together', 'Break Down', 'Good People' and 'If I could' are all amazing.

Since is festival season and im sure a few of you are going to some (going reading myself) i thought it was time for a rate that album thread.

Muse - Balck Holes and Revelations

image2_1180769.jpg

10/10

I thought following up the amazing absolution would very much be a tour de force and then when muse released Supermassive Black Hole i knew it was over, however the song unexpectivley grew on me, I slowley became addicted. Black Holes and Reverlations fails to dissapoint, wether its the scream of Assassin or the beat of Map of the Problematique, i love it all.

What have you been listening too?

I'm gonna have to rate Black Holes & Revelations too, as it's pretty much all I've been listening to these past few weeks.

Black Holes and Revelations

image2_1180769.jpg

When Supermassive Black Hole was first unleashed to the world, my inital thought was what the hell? This album was clearly going to be a lot different to Absolution. Though Muse choose a new direction with each release, so this wasn't too shocking. I grew to love the song to the point where I couldn't stop listening to it.

Black Holes and Revelations is, to simply put it, pure musical genious. Every single track has it's own unique style, making this a very diverse range of music. However, because of clever pacing and careful consideration, it still holds up as a true album rather than just a collection of songs.

Most of these songs are instant classics, memorable in thier own right. The highly atmospheric electro pop of Map of the Problematique, the mighty metal-esque Assassin, the epic western Knights of Cydonia - this album truly does have it all. Highlighting those tracks is merely scratching the surface of what is an exploration of musical styles of the highest order.

Black Holes and Revelations is deffinately the worthy sucessor of Absolution. Bold, though decisions have been made, it shows and it truly pays off. Muse are back and ready to dominate with what is deffinately the best album of this year.

[10/10]

In a Silent Way

SME_0101_CK_086556.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

It's 1969. Miles Davis assembles an excellent band including two electric pianists, an organist and John McLaughlin on electric guitar. With the editing and arrangement of producer Teo Macero, Miles' first true jazz fusion record is born.

It's 38 minutes of mellow perfection: two tracks, each just shy of twenty minutes. Like all the best jazz, it comes alive at night, and on cool summer evenings. Davis gives us a glimpse of heaven, and it truly is bliss.

Well - Pink Floyd, The Wall.

Just bought this recently, got to admit at first I thought it was quite poor. But it grew on me. I started to understand the album more, the songs made more sense and it just sounded better over all for some reason. There are few stand out tracks for me, but you really do need to listen to the whole album in order to get the best of it. Good as it is, I still think Animals, Meddle and The Dark Side of the Moon are better.

[8/10]

I'm gonna have to rate Black Holes & Revelations too, as it's pretty much all I've been listening to these past few weeks.

Black Holes and Revelations

image2_1180769.jpg

When Supermassive Black Hole was first unleashed to the world, my inital thought was what the hell? This album was clearly going to be a lot different to Absolution. Though Muse choose a new direction with each release, so this wasn't too shocking. I grew to love the song to the point where I couldn't stop listening to it.

Black Holes and Revelations is, to simply put it, pure musical genious. Every single track has it's own unique style, making this a very diverse range of music. However, because of clever pacing and careful consideration, it still holds up as a true album rather than just a collection of songs.

Most of these songs are instant classics, memorable in thier own right. The highly atmospheric electro pop of Map of the Problematique, the mighty metal-esque Assassin, the epic western Knights of Cydonia - this album truly does have it all. Highlighting those tracks is merely scratching the surface of what is an exploration of musical styles of the highest order.

Black Holes and Revelations is deffinately the worthy sucessor of Absolution. Bold, though decisions have been made, it shows and it truly pays off. Muse are back and ready to dominate with what is deffinately the best album of this year.

[10/10]

Its so good, 2 review dont even do it justice!

Air

Moon Safari

d10177wloul.jpg

A cavalcade of analog synthesizers, organs, electric pianos, and processed voices populate Moon Safari, a thoroughly appealing, otherworldly debut album from Air. Where most of their dance contemporaries push the boundaries of trip-hop or jungle, Air blends Euro-dance with new wave. Any futuristic element on their album feels strangely outdated, since they're borrowed from the early '80s, which gives their music an odd, out-of-time feeling. The waves of gurgling synths beneath the spacious, colorful chords and melodies give the impression that the music is floating in space. For all the atmospherics and layers of synths, there's a distinct pop sense to Moon Safari that makes it accessible and damn near irresistible.

Sign in to follow this