N-Europe

Your Top 3 Books

Charlie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not think that Murphy might be insane during the book, Bard? I always considered that the main point of his character.

No, I don't there's any way he was insane, I think he was just a man and his will to do whatever he wants, he didn't want to stay at the work farm and he refused to do what people said he should, so they had him declared insane. His character was just the traditional virile male, who loves booze, gambling women and baseball. He was there as a contrast to what Kesey was believing was happening to America, or what the "combine" was turning it into, they were making everyone conform, so that they were no different from each other, and the Nurse was just a cleric of this organisation (that's the chief's metaphor for it anyway). You see this in the chapter where the chief's talking about all the homes and how they're identical, and that if a child from somewhere else went to the wrong house, no one would notice (which I suppose is exaggerating it a bit :heh:). Anyway, McMurphy also kind of struck me as a sort of Christ figure aswell, he came to the institute and helped all these loons find their manhood, helps them to realise these masculine values, but at the same time, it drains him, and because of his will to help them, he dies for it. Still, it may be me reading too much into it I suppose, but McMurphy never did strike me as a nutter.

If that's the one by Arthur Miller, isn't that a play?

I saw a production of All My Sons by Arthur Miller, and I suppose it was challenging American values, but I found it a bit dull, it wasn't much fun at all. Also read the view from the bridge, which I think would have been better onstage.

Yes, I also like Murakami. If you haven't read Norwegian Wood, read it now. (also read Ghostwritten by David Mitchell... :heh:)

oooh! thanks! i will pick it up next time i see it. i was worried about buying it because its pretty thin for 6.99 in my opinion, but hey i have the wind-up bird chronicle for a decent sized read.

thanks for that :D

I saw a production of All My Sons by Arthur Miller, and I suppose it was challenging American values, but I found it a bit dull, it wasn't much fun at all. Also read the view from the bridge, which I think would have been better onstage.

I had to read view from the bridge for school, and I didn't think it was all that wonderful... mind you, I didn't see it performed.

And Takeo, don't expect Norwegian Wood to be like Wind up bird... it's completely realistic. Neverthess, it is still a very good book.

I don't actually have just 3 fav books as I like the Harry Potter books. But I've kinda thought this through and found out there are other books I like:

A Child Called It - David Pelzer

I found this book in my house and I just picked it up and I liked it.

Basically it's the author's story of how he was badly abused as a child by his mother whilst his brothers lived quite comfortably, he suffers through a lot of shite.

Heroes - Robert Cormier

This is the book I had to do for English GCSE. I did enjoy the book as it was very well written. This is the story of a lad named Francis who suffered severe facial deformities when he jumped onto a grenade in a suicide attempt in WW2. He was awarded the Silver Star award (kinda like the US version of the Victoria Cross), but he doesn't call himself a hero like everybody else does. You also find out about his past, how he became close friends with a girl his age named Nicole, how they became closer than just classmates when the Town Rec. Centre was reopened, and how the role model and inspirational leader of the Rec. Centre came back from duty in WW2 after being awarded the Silver Star award raped Nicole, whilst Francis could do nothing but listen in as he stood in the dark foyer of the Rec. Centre, causing them to both fall out and cause Francis to try kill himself in the war. Afterwards he tries to exact his revenge on the Rec. Centre leader and reunites with Nicole, now at a boarding school.

This book makes you question what a hero is, simple as.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling

I don't really want to tell you about this book as I feel I don't particularly need to.

that's the first time I've heard trainspottibg described like that. I usually prefer phrases like 'brutal', 'harrowing' or perhaps 'fucking horrendous'

great book:yay:

meby it cuz i am a sick bastard? na i really like it the bit that i laugh about is when renton shoots the dog in the ass and it attacks its owner :laughing: but ye really ood boobk well writen and i can relate from it as i live in scotland aswell

YAY!!! Finished 1984!!!

what a fucking depressing but totally head fucky/scary scary book!

George Orwell was a GENIUS!!!

everyone should go to a library, join, rent out 1984 and read it (just because i wouldnt want to read it again in a hurry cos it did freak me out alot)

YAY!!! Finished 1984!!!

what a fucking depressing but totally head fucky/scary scary book!

George Orwell was a GENIUS!!!

everyone should go to a library, join, rent out 1984 and read it (just because i wouldnt want to read it again in a hurry cos it did freak me out alot)

I think I got the book like, twice already from the library, but I never really got myself to actually read it. Don't know why.

I just remembered that I loved a lot of books as a kid, especially the ones from Anthony Horowitz and Thea Beckman (Dutch writer).

i took the book out of my colleges library about two years ago and found it hard to get into, but i borrowed it again the other month and i manages to get past the first third and complete it. the first few chapters are pretty dull, but thats because it reflects the lives of people in that society. still very interesting book and well worth the slow start.