N-Europe

Electic Guitar problems

dabookerman

Right the long and short:

Guitar plugged in amp, i play guitar, amp makes no noise, as if the guitar isnt plugged in (still makes the buzzing sound it makes)

And yes, the volume is turned up.

However, amp is picking up the sounds from whenever i touch the lead, for example, tapping the lead and stroking it. I dont remember it doing that before.

I had this problem with my bass not so long ago, turned out that it was one of the solders broken off inside, so try looking for any lose wires inside it.

Thankfully, all it needed was redoing and hey presto! it worked again :)

That's deffinately either the cable or the connecting wires/parts. If you need a new cable, buy a good expensive one! It's worth the extra money, trust me! Cheap ones inevitably break. If the innards need fixing, you'd be best taking it to a small shop, rather than a chain store. The chain stores charge stupid amounts. This should be a very cheap thing to fix, so don't get ripped off! You might need to buy a new plug-in bit, but I really doubt that.

Guest Ford Prefect

my mate had a similar problem with his guitar. tho it was sporadic. worked sometimes then not other. turned out he had a loose connection inside on the jack. couple of minutes with a soldering iron and i had it fixed up for him. worked perfect ever since.

if you've per chance got an electrical test meter, run it over the various connections to check them out.

Yeah sounds like cable. Depends on what kind of guitar you have too. Mine had some problems with the pick-up switcher, so when I wiggled it sometimes it would jog back on to making sound but I ended up taking it apart and re-doing the wiring. But just try a new cable first eh?

Nope, I think it's as Conzer said ( I know because 2 of my guitars have broken in the exact same way) Take it to a tech, they should examine it for free (but it'll cost you to have it fixed)

If its the cable, do the same thing, the tech should let you try it with another cable.

Thanks for the great line shorty lol

I knew someone was going to pick up on that, but it's way too hot a day for the effort of editing posts. :heh:

Yes, I've realised I've had to edit this post due to a spelling mistake and there is much irony. Blah.