N-Europe

what do you think of this PC?

Oli1983uk

started looking for new PC and wondered what you guys think of this one and how much do u think i should pay for it:

AMD AM2 Athlon 64bit 3500+ CPU

1024MB Dual Channel DDRII RAM

16 X DVDRW

Maxtor 160GB S-ATA 2 7200rpm Hard Drive

1.44mb Floppy drive

Powerful Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB Graphics

6 X USB 2 (2 x front 4 x rear)

10/100 Lan

7.1 Surround 3D 8 channel Audio

I suggest you use SATA RAID, i think it can give a burst of speed during loading times.

You just use 2 SATA disks, set them in a raid and windows detects it as a single super-fast HDD. Anyone here have tried RAID that can give us impressions?

The rest of the PC is damn good.

well its only the base unit i am looking at buying and can get it for £350 so it would be worth buying? i have parts from my current PC i could use on it, such as more ram and nother 160Gb hard drive. apprently the mother board can support upto 8GB of ram! its not from overclockers its from a computer compnay on Ebay it comes with a years warrenty aswell.

Or i have also seen this one aswell, what one would you pick?:

Intel Pentium 4 D805 Dual Core Processor 2 x 2.66Ghz Cores 2x1MB L2 Cache

1024MB (1GB) of super fast PC4200 DDR2 RAM

16 x Dual Format Dual Layer DVD±RW

Maxtor 200GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

Integrated ATI Radeon X300 based 2D/3D Graphics

6 X USB 2 (2 x front 4 x rear)

10/100 Ethernet Lan

7.1 Surround 3D 8 channel Audio

Guest Jordan

Hmmmm, it may be AM2 but its a fairly slow chip.

And if you're wanting to play games, don't expect much. That graphics card is a budget line one.

Absolutely stick with the AMD system, but be advised, even if you just wanna play simple or older games on it you really would be much happier with a 7600 or even just a 6600GT is a much better budget card.

Apart from that it's a good system. Enough of everything there, your 3500 AMD2 and 1GB DDR2 RAM will serve you well. I only have a vanilla 3000, but it's still very capable of chucking it's own weight in Roman legionarres around the screen.

I'm advising that you go for the intel one. And the dual core helps if you encode lots of mp3's and generally multi-task a lot. For example you can play a game while encoding mp3's.

It won't overclock really well (unless you're lucky). And the intel cpu is the cheapest dual core available. They launched it to compete with single core amd's.

And if you don't know intel is making the most powerful chips at the moment. But the dual core is useful only if you use applications that can handle them. If used mainly for gaming, get the amd.

Just to let you guys know that AMD plans to ship AM3 socket in 2008. It will be retrocompatible with AM2, so no worries. I think the only difference is that it supports DDR3.

What, already? Wowserz, can't imagine DDR3 RAM will come too cheap though.

Just to let you guys know that AMD plans to ship AM3 socket in 2008. It will be retrocompatible with AM2, so no worries. I think the only difference is that it supports DDR3.

Erm... that's two years from now? The lifespan of a decent computer is about 3 years. I built this one in 2003 july. And it still does it's job.

The next phase in the cpu wars will be interesting. As intel has managed to make a better performing cpu now.

I'm just waiting for the amd price cuts. Then I'll be able to decide whether my next PC is an intel or an amd one.

I'm advising that you go for the intel one. And the dual core helps if you encode lots of mp3's and generally multi-task a lot. For example you can play a game while encoding mp3's.

It won't overclock really well (unless you're lucky). And the intel cpu is the cheapest dual core available. They launched it to compete with single core amd's.

And if you don't know intel is making the most powerful chips at the moment. But the dual core is useful only if you use applications that can handle them. If used mainly for gaming, get the amd.

Erm, if your referring to the Pentium d 805, you should really do a bit more research, it is one of, if not the most overclockable chip ever. It can easily be overclocked to 4Ghz most of the time. If you aren't referring to this, accept my apologies. They actually launched it to be the cheapest duel core and try to steal the market from AMD.