NEurope
Android18a

I want to form an Anime company to publish titles in the UK...

I think you could be onto a good idea here if you can get it up and runing, and then stay in the profitable margin, but you have to think of the costs like people have said before me, but they shouldent be to high.

and i hate dubd to :heh: they ruin most anime, altho some are okay but most reck the anime!

I dont like the idea of those animes getting licenced, anime is for who likes it, and the ones who like it can find the manga and can find the series, if not they dont really like anime, because they're not willing to look for it, why give them elfen lied if they are more happy seeing the new reality show?

Thus, they don't deserve to have acess to it, the information is everywhere right now, sure not everyone has a good internet connection but it's changing and even if it isn't, there's a whole circuit of trades, I have friends that trade it, they have some series and trade for another ones, and then who wants and is in the scene asks for them, it works...

But I do know some "wanabe anime-fans" and I dont give them any information about good anime, because they have a good internet connection and don't look for it, knowing they could, they just want to have all the work done, and still they think they're fans, it's like I had to go after them for them to see the whole damn thing, I hate when that happena, when people ask me things and still act like i'm doing them a favor.

the normal "anime fan" out there:

1. Can't seem to look for it, give it a chance if it's unknown.

2. Have low tolerance for mechas and other genuine japanese stuff

3. Doesn't want to read manga because it's tiring

now looking at this do they really like anime? they are just going to ruin our scene in the coming years, because if the series have so much sucess they'll be licenced from day one outside of japan, sure some subbers do it nonetheless, but it would turn everything into a ilegal thing, look at anbu for example, some time ago every single series they got got licenced halfway, do you think the company's who licenced it didn't knew about it? they used anbu who has a big public to get people to know the product, and then halfway stop it, so people have to buy it, and at a big price.

Anime is already very comercial and all these licencing company's want more and more, our western civilization still can't accept that some anime series are not for kids, so either it is considered "cool", or "wow, how kiddy, I ain't seeying that".

I for instance see everything and pretty much everything, I never judged it by the cover. I've read so far more manga than anime, more than 200 manga series now.

I think it's impossible to stop it now, the anime mainstream bussiness, but it might be delayed, the only DVD's I buy are the R2 NTSC from the japanese, and I'm fine with it, I dont want it to change.

If you had a dream of creating a anime licencing company who didn't try to turn it into comercial things, with stupid dubs and bad translations aswell as worse video quality than it's japanese counterparts, just giving acess to the series for fans, but the only way to do that is to evolve the scene into small stores from fans for fans, who wants it looks for it and has acess to it.

If I were you I'd try to open a store that only sells R2 NTSC series, and with time you could evolve it slightly, there's already DVD players out there who accept external subtitles, just provide subtitles for it, i've done it before, it's great to apply your own subtitles to your DVD's; and you could sell a DVD player who does that in your store, just my two cents

About my reason to "hate" dubs... well I dont hate them I liked like 3 or 4 who were better than the originals, but most of the time I hate to see a french movie dubbed into english, a american movie dubbed into portuguese, and even more, I dont like the portuguese subtitles in my stuff so all of it has to be with english subtitles, not on my mother-language, I think dubs take from the original experience, the original voices, the original version, I ussualy dont like them, so I hate it when my dvd's come with the dub track before of the original one though, that I do.

yeah, i'm quite the elitist, I hate when much people like my thing because suddently it became "cool" they give the things I like a bad name, I remeber the reason why I like anime and games and it's not because it's a bussiness.

i know what you mean mate, i mean the people who call them selvs anime fans then carnt be arsed to dl them, instead even leach of other people for it, "oh could you dl this for me or find this for me, or put this onto a dvd for me" are not real anime fans because they carent be arsed to do the work themselvs.

i meen i am a big anime fan i have loads of anime and i am constantly searching for more! but i admit im not at the stage of some anime fans that have hundreds and have red hundreds of manga, i read some manga like Naruto and bleach and 1 or two others but i havent got much right now but im looking.

i mean its alright asking for advice for example " do you know of any good manga serise to dl" if you have had a good look your self first.

i mean im not saying that people that ask arent fans because they probably are, but some people are probably just lazy, and like say " i karent be bothered it will take forever", some people like you said even say this sort of thing with 1mb conections.

i have a 512k internet conection and im always looking with this shit conection it takes me a wile but that dosent stop me.

and i am hoping to upgrade to 1 mb soon hopfully! * crosses his thingers*

we will see.....

and about dubd i hate most becasue it recks the drama of the anime you could say, i mean i love to listen to the japanese wile im reading the subtitels and i love to listen to japanese anyway :) i love the language and have got to learn it proparbly some time! :)

First of all, what does reading manga and watching anime have to do with each other? They are different formats of the same thing...... It's like saying that if you like Mario games you have to like the Mario film.... It's stupid..... I'm a massive anime fan, but, I'm not so big on manga as in general I'm not much of a reader and never have been........... Although I did enjoy reading Chobits, but, that's another story........

Moving on, why do you believe that everyone shouldn't enjoy anime with easy access just because you had to "work" to get them? I mean tbh you didn't really work in the first place........ The people who subbed the anime worked...... You just sat down and watched your computer download it........... Really you should want more people to watch and understand the things that you have grown to love, it's the reason people decide to be an animator/artist in the first place. :-/

Now onto subs and dubs. :) Personally I love subs..... Most English dubs are uninspired, boring and to be honest just sound a bit funky..

but the quality of the original voice acting is kind of wank too. There's very little variation in Japanese voices, and most of them almost always sound flat and emotionless. I just get a bigger kick out of an English voice talking than this horrible 10 year old child voice babbling in a language I have absolutely no desire to understand.

Japanese flows smoother than English? That's total horse shit. Japanese flows like verbal diarrhea. If I spelled that right. Especially brown is the verbal habit of the Japanese child, so high and squeaky that it forces the eardrums to bleed violently.

O.o What anime have you watched in Japanese? Cause I've never watched one that fits that description and I've watched some very low key anime. :-/ And now Japanese doesn't flow smoother than English in general no language does, go out speak with your mates and damn it flows perfectly. :-/ BUT, with dubs it sounds so forced and stupidly out of place that yes you could say that Japanese in anime flows better, it's kinda like reading english lyrics to a japanese song and trying to make it fit. :-/

But yeah, I've heard what you are saying before and I'm pretty sure you get on very well with one of my best friends.... :-/

Anyway, going on to the original post by 18... :)

I think it is something that's really needed in England/Europe, but, there is a massive start up cost to think of..... Do some research into licencing costs as well as advertising costs, they really are shocking..... I'm pretty sure for a show like naruto it would be well into the millions. :-/

i know what you mean mate, i mean the people who call them selvs anime fans then carnt be arsed to dl them, instead even leach of other people for it, "oh could you dl this for me or find this for me, or put this onto a dvd for me" are not real anime fans because they carent be arsed to do the work themselvs.

Mabye some people have download limits? :indeed: Yes, pity me :heh:

i mean its alright asking for advice for example " do you know of any good manga serise to dl" if you have had a good look your self first.

It's quite easy to get 'lost' in the anime and manga world, there are so many series... so asking an otaku ('scuse me if you hate that word ;)) that has watched or read a few series isn't too bad an idea, seeing as he or she would probably know what anime would suit your tastes best. I don't think it has much to do with laziness tbh.

And downloading isn't leeching? Huh?

First of all, what does reading manga and watching anime have to do with each other? They are different formats of the same thing...... It's like saying that if you like Mario games you have to like the Mario film.... It's stupid..... I'm a massive anime fan, but, I'm not so big on manga as in general I'm not much of a reader and never have been........... Although I did enjoy reading Chobits, but, that's another story........

Moving on, why do you believe that everyone shouldn't enjoy anime with easy access just because you had to "work" to get them? I mean tbh you didn't really work in the first place........ The people who subbed the anime worked...... You just sat down and watched your computer download it........... Really you should want more people to watch and understand the things that you have grown to love, it's the reason people decide to be an animator/artist in the first place. :-/(...)

They have everything to do with each other, it's not only the same franchise but also the same story most of the time, you reffered super mario, no, you dont have to like super mario movie, because it sucks, but why dislike a manga who gave origin to the anime version in the first place?... just because a live action movie of super mario sucks, it doesn't mean all movies suck and thus dont deserve to be seen, I've seen more anime raping the manga than the other way arround.

What I enjoy in the manga is that it is more artistic most of the time, as it is still images without movement and black and white, it's a limitation, you have to overcome it to give that real feeling to it, , every single "frame" has to be really well designed, so I'm my eyes it's more artistic most of the time.

the point is, If you have a shitty connection and really like that stuff even if you can't download the anime you'll read the manga, that is if you're really interested, that was the point, you said it youself, you've read chobits, maybe it was because you hadn't access to the anime, or maybe because you've had already seen the anime, or because you had the books in front of you and nothing else to do.

Of course you might like the anime more or not, i'm not even getting on that topic, just that there's alternatives, I for one if possible read both, and normally the manga is better. but i'm first a manga reader then a anime viewer.

About the "work" statement I already did pretty much everything a little, from proofreading to manga editing, timing subtitles and translating them from english to other languages (portuguese) for groups doing multi-language translations, I even did encoding already, it's not like I am a leecher who never contributed with anything.

Even If I'm seated waiting for the release, I'll waste my bandwidth on it because I want to read/see it, and I had to look for the methods to download it, it's not like it's in google main page, it's not like I can even post links for it in thsi thread.

It's not about "not wanting others to like what I like", I'm liking to write this in this thread for example, you guys are just like me with diferent opinions, I wouldn't bother with people who didn't even knew what they were talking about, I just think that if people really want something they have to look for it, everything has another side, and you really don't know it at all if you just know the one side, everyone does. all genres of music have a side like that, even pop, and movies and other types os art have that too, so I think that If you like something you might be lucky and get on it easily, but I had work doing so, I think the others should have that work too, because there's no better experience than discovering for yourself, alone, it gives work, surely, and those not really interested might give up... but nothing feels better than being able to acomplish something alone.

EDIT:

It's quite easy to get 'lost' in the anime and manga world, there are so many series... so asking an otaku ('scuse me if you hate that word ;)) that has watched or read a few series isn't too bad an idea, seeing as he or she would probably know what anime would suit your tastes best. I don't think it has much to do with laziness tbh.
sure, but if so, there's always someone who'll pick you up and help you, if you ask, just dont bother them 24/7 from then on, because they'll be sorry of helping ya :p I for one everytime someone asks for help in irc channels i'll help if I can.

And yes thats a good idea of what to ask to people who seen them, but not everytime you're going to see a series, you should start looking for them yourself and then give information to the people who gave you the series like:

"hey did you knew that soukyuu no fafner has the same character designer as Gundam seed? and the story is better, I recomend you to see it" if you say that to me you'll be talking to me on the same level as I am and obviously all the advices are welcome. everyone likes to talk about what they really like at the same level of others, If I was lazy I wouldn't know half the series I know, I have limits like some people here and so I have priorities of what to download, but for example I know a guy without any limits and every time he talks to me is to ask for something, i dont even bother anymore, but one time I told him a mecha series and he asked for a damn trailer, i got it, and he answered back "I dont like it, it has robots on it" he saw like 5 seconds of it how can he judge it? why ask for advice and leech me for that? it's a waste of time in that case.

like I said i've got no problems giving my anime to anyone, if they are really interested, i'm not going to waste my own DVD's for charity for someone who likes "2fast2furious" and other shitty movies above of anime, and judges everything by the cover. on the other hand I often ship DVD's from Lisbon to Oporto (it's a big distance) for a friend who doesn't have a good internet connection, the transportation fees for the DVD's to get there are paid by me, (normally he sends the DVD's because my "free DVD's" are obviously not Sony, TDK and other brands with proven quality.

And downloading isn't leeching? Huh?

that's diferent, you're not bothering someone when doing it :p

The Naruto manga is way better than the Naruto: Fact

Of course manga and anime have everything in common. As the guy above said, the anime is just the animated version of the manga. Where do you think Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, and most anime series' you can name?

Anyway, i was comparing the manga and the anime. All I was saying, was that it would be easier and cheaper to start out publishing manga in relationship to anime by starting at the roots. So please read the posts before commenting.

Grebe I wasn't talking to you about manga I was speaking to Pedro as he implied that all big anime fans should have to read them in order to be considered such.

As for the Mario example maybe it was a bad example...... I was just pointing out that when you are faced with a franchise you don't have to enjoy it in all formats..... It's like some people would enjoy reading the scripts/storyboards of an RPG but would enjoy playing them....... Some people like me prefer to watch anime over reading the manga.... I mean one big thing that manga lacks is the great music adding to the tension. :-/ I do admit however that pacing is slightly better in manga compared to some anime, but, I can get over that. *shrug*

So yeah, if you are a really big anime fan, and prefer anime over the manga, why would you read the manga so you already know the story before you see it in your prefered format. :-/ It's not that smart a thing to do in my opinion...... Maybe reading the manga afterwards is a nice thing to do sometimes to see what's been cut/changed, but, even then it's already lost something as you know whats happened....... Saying this I watch anime more then once usually....... Hmmmm it's hard to explain. Bleh......

Oh and as for why I was reading Chobits, well I have seen half the anime and I was at my girlfriends house after we had just returned from picking up her childhood friend who had run away from japan (that's right cross country runaway lol) and yeah they were speaking japanese, I was confused, no subtitles, I was forced to read. :P

They aren't that long........ They just look like they are cause the text area is really thin. :P

The posts in this thread are too long. Its making my head hurt even CONSIDERING reading all of them.

well at least it makes this a quality conversation rather than few worded nonsense threads that r around

well at least it makes this a quality conversation rather than few worded nonsense threads that r around

It does? All I'm seeing is 'hey guyz, ima better anime fan dan u cuz i do all this shit chek me out im a tru anime fan.'

Yeah, I was going to add that to my last post.........

Anyway, I did a bit of research for you android and this pretty much covers what I've found (even though it's a forum post)....

They have to price them that way because of how much it costs to license, dub, distribute, etc. a series today.

ADV pays 1 million to 2.6 million dollars for each of their anime series, and 500,000 to 5 million dollars per feature length film in licensing costs. When you take a normal DVD, say, a Disney movie, and it's within that 20 dollars and below price range, it's because it's expected to sell millions of units, which allows them to make quite a bit of money because the quantity of units sold makes up for the lower pricing. While you look at anime, where only a few titles have even come close to those marks (pretty much most theatrical movies, i.e. Akira, GitS, etc.) and they've only been able to get into the hundreds of thousands of copies sold. According to Geneon, the average anime title only sells about 15,000 copies, so there is no huge quantity there that will let the companies lower the price without losing profit.

Just to release a popular 22 episode series, U.S. companies have to pay...

- 50, 000 dollars an episode for licensing

- 20,000 an episode for the dub

- 5,000 dollars a DVD for authoring

- 1,000 dollars a DVD for Quality Control

- 3,000 dollars a DVD in Material expenses

- 15,000 dollars a boxset for marketing

All together that's over $1,400,000. Then you have manufacturing costs that equate to about 10 dollars a set and royalties that come in at around 5 dollars per set.

If you take these statistics and plan to create and sell 15,000 sets, that's 94 dollars a set. Then they have to give retailers a 50% wholesale discount, which then requires companies to double the costs of the actual set (200 dollars) which gets them a profit of about 100 dollars a set. They have to do this to pay salaries, company bills, taxes, and have enough money left over to buy new licences and repeat this process all over again.

The fact that anime companies are jacking up prices for licenses in Japan isn't helping matters much. Many companies are doing their best to get involved during the production stages of a show they want to license so that they can license the show for less. Just remember, it's not as if they're trying to rip you off or something, that's just the way that prices have to be so that companies here can get their people paid (not to mention the original creators) and continue licensing anime for our enjoyment.

So yeah it looks like you would have to propose your ideas to some big company in order to get some SERIOUS financial backing... :-/

And Athri if that is really all this thread is then atleast people are actually putting some effort into proving there point.... Better then a lot of other threads I've seen in any case. :-/

Fair enough, it just all comes out as a crazy form of rhetoric to me. Do as you will, I'm sure there's something this outsider does not see.

Grebe I wasn't talking to you about manga I was speaking to Pedro as he implied that all big anime fans should have to read them in order to be considered such.

I apologize fully my friend and hope that you accept it graciously.

I hate you....... :lmao:

lol; sub whores piss me off tbh, I can't understand why people don't like dubs. I admit, apart from Bleach, every show I have is dubbed.

I'll tell you why I hate dubs...

1st of all, japanese isnt my first language...so even if the jap voice actors suck I cant tell, all I can hear is a cool sounding voice. But when theyre dubbed, they always have this generic voice, and terrible acting...

2nd, they reword the sentences and attacks and such....instead of saying "f*ck you" they say darn you....they mispronounce they japanese names too.

also, its just the general westernisation of the anime...japanese humour is wasted on dubs....its never the same.

Im not dismissing dubs altogether, but I dont think they work....in western coutries anime is considered childish and stupid...its a different culture. It will probably always be like that too.

Everyone who likes bleach, wouldnt you hate it if it got dubbed? Ichigo would speak in one of those generic voices, they would probably rename half the things it in to cheap names "ultra big mega sword of death"...that would just shit me...its already happened to naruto, and imo it was quite raped and it will get worse because they will tone down the violence, perverted humour and creepy people etc...take the character Haku for example...in the real anime, Haku looks like a girl, dresses like a girl and sounds like a girl, but is actually a guy. Its a humourous part of the story...but in the dubbed version they made Haku into a girl...little changes like that annoy me too.

What?! They made Haku into a girl? What the hell for, to protect likkle children from having ideas of transgender... its just plain stupid what they do in dubs

but in the dubbed version they made Haku into a girl...little changes like that annoy me too.

Please tell me you're lying....... PLEASE! The whole thing makes little sence if he is a girl. :-/ If true I seriously consider Naruto to be raped.... :-/ Can't wait for that show to come out over here and have some little kid to hear me talking about Haku being a guy and them try to correct me. ^^;

Please tell me you're lying....... PLEASE! The whole thing makes little sence if he is a girl. :-/ If true I seriously consider Naruto to be raped.... :-/ Can't wait for that show to come out over here and have some little kid to hear me talking about Haku being a guy and them try to correct me. ^^;

well my best friend watched a few eps and he said that...and he loves naruto so he wouldnt lie about it...yeah I hate that little kids are gonna like it...reminds me of nintendo lol

Blah, that really really sucks....... I don't really mind as much that little kids will like it, but, the fact that I work at a playscheme in the holidays (dunno if I will be anymore) and I'll here them talking about it and they won't know will really annoy me. lol

Blah, that really really sucks....... I don't really mind as much that little kids will like it, but, the fact that I work at a playscheme in the holidays (dunno if I will be anymore) and I'll here them talking about it and they won't know will really annoy me. lol

Impress with your superior naruto knowledge lol, and bring evidence when they wont believe you hahaha.

Impress with your superior naruto knowledge lol, and bring evidence when they wont believe you hahaha.
poor kids, they'll have a trauma when they learn that the haku that they loved so much is a man XD

Or just, ya know, ignore them. They'll be talking about it happily no doubt, so to turn around and see you scowling at them with tears coming down your cheeks will hardly help their enjoyment, eh?