NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Wii and DS Connectivity

http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711657p1.html

With Wii and DS, Nintendo is making another try with the Connectivity idea, and this time no wires are involved. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed today some of the ways in which the two platforms will connect:

The DS can be used as a touch screen controller for the Wii

DS software can be expanded using the Wii (this seems to include bonus elements like playing DS software through the television -- see below for an example)

The DS can access DS Station services via the Wii (DS Station is a retail download terminal which allows for DS downloads).

Iwata gave one clear example for the second area of the service, announcing Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii in the process. This title will link up with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. You start off by inserting the Pearl or Diamond cartridge into your DS and Pokemon Battle Revolution into your Wii. The DS then acts as a controller as your Diamond and Pearl Pokemon battle it out on the screen in 3D. You will have a full set of battle options when fighting this way, including player versus player, player versus CPU and Wi-Fi!

Pokemon Battle Revolution is being developed as the first Connectivity title between the DS and Wii. It will be released to Japan after Diamond and Pearl, but before the end of 2006. Diamond and Pearl are set for Japanese release this Fall.

I think Connectivity has a much greater chance of being a success with the Wii and DS.

Alot of people who own the DS (but have not bought a Nintendo home console) are bound to want to try the Wii as it will take the DS to a new level and the Wii will offer the same unique interactive gameplay.

A game like Pokemon is the perfect game to really launch the connectivity as it will be done in a fun way, the games will really complement one another and being such an awesome selling franchise, both the Wii and DS are bound to benefit sales wise!

I saw that earlier! Cool isnt it! The DS is a touchscreen controller!

Its a good idea to launch with a game like Pokemon (like you said) and hopefully the DS-Wii connectivity will be more fruitful than the GBA-GC's version.

i didn't realise that this hadn't officially been confirmed i took it as read that DS Wii connectivity would be a massive feature.

i didn't realise that this hadn't officially been confirmed i took it as read that DS Wii connectivity would be a massive feature.
Yeah it's been talked about but nothing officially said, such as the news about the DS as a touch screen controller (at least for some games)!

Haha! Is this Nintendo's muted announcement of being able to play games on three screens now? Two screens on the DS and the third being your TV? Just imagine the possibilities...

...OK, I can't think of any. :(

Nintendo TS (Triple Screen)

I really hope we can download the NES, SNES, TGFX and Mega Drive games to the DS anytime we want. Does the DS have enough resolution in one screen to play SNES and Mega Drive games without downscalling? Plus, does anyone know the max space in MB the DS can use to temporarily store the downloads?

That would be sweet.

Screen Resolutions:

DS (both screens the same): 256 x 192

Megadrive screen resolution: 320 x 224

So I suppose there would be some downscaling. The ratios of screen width to height are different too. :(

No idea about memory though.

Sources:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/549/549922p1.html

http://www.consoleia.co.uk/systems/sega/megadrive/megadrive.htm

:sad: Damn, not even the NES games fit (256x240).

I'm REALLY hoping we see the ability to download vitual console games to the DS. I remember hearing people talking about this a while ago, but wether it was from an actual source, or just someone's idea, I don't know.

However, the Pokemon conectivity seems gimicky, and it's unoriginal. While I don't think it's a bad idea as a little extra, it would be a disaster if this was seen as the main asset to DS/Wii conectivity.

Edit: Would anyone know if the technology used to download demos to the DS could be the same as technology used to download VC games?

DS has 4MB of temp storage. Enough most any game you would download via VC. The big problem with connectivity was the needed wires. Those KILLED it.

It's technically possible to do it, but the downscalling will degrade the visual quality, and some SNES games are way above 4MB, like Super Metroid.

I would like to, but i doubt nintendo will do it. Maybe for the NES games...

I hope developers will also make more use of the connectivity than with the GC. I got a cable originally only to link Metroid Fusion up with Prime and but I could also use it in Wind Waker but since then it has gather dust.

Another problem is however that it's hard to put the DS to good use if it's only an optional peripheral for the game. But if it's essential there would be less sales for sure.

Still I'm looking forward to any sort of connectivity. However I'm much more excited about possibly downloading DS Demos.

The big problem with connectivity was the needed wires. Those KILLED it.

Agreed. Every time I played Animal Crossing on GC, I would think 'Hey, I'll think I'll go pay a visit to my island.' And then I'd think about the hassle involved in getting the link cable and GBA set up, and then I'd sit back down and think 'Bugger it'.

The big problem with connectivity was the needed wires. Those KILLED it.

agreed, if they had sold all GBA's with those cables, or all GCs, then I think it would have taken off more. I have a gba, but never could see the value in the linkup cable.

I can't wait to see how the DS is used - obviously its not going to be a good thing in all games, and ideally a game won't REQUIRE the DS, but I'd like the DS to enhance the game in subtle ways. like perhaps opening up a new path - say in a mission based game, there are 3/4 paths through a mission, with a DS there are 7/8 kinda thing - you can still play through and enjoy the game without a DS, and you wouldn't know you were missing anything.

perhaps if a game is released that heavily relies on the DS a DS Wii pack could be released with that game bundled...

I think Connectivity has a much greater chance of being a success with the Wii and DS.

Alot of people who own the DS (but have not bought a Nintendo home console) are bound to want to try the Wii as it will take the DS to a new level and the Wii will offer the same unique interactive gameplay.

A game like Pokemon is the perfect game to really launch the connectivity as it will be done in a fun way, the games will really complement one another and being such an awesome selling franchise, both the Wii and DS are bound to benefit sales wise!

aghhh!connectivity will never work with nintendo.It ruined games like final fantsay CC and four swords.It has the best chance of working with psp and ps2 but sony want to wait till ps3.BIG mistake!Ps3 is a flop in the making id bet my house on it

Yeah, all Sony have shown for PSP connectivity as far as games are concerened, is a wing mirror to a Formula 1 car; and that's one expensive extra many aren't gonna want!

Yeah, all Sony have shown for PSP connectivity as far as games are concerened, is as a wing mirror to a Formula 1 car; and that's one expensive extra many aren't gonna want!

haha u can see that if u click the link on my sig!Its so class!

haha u can see that if u click the link on my sig!Its so class!
HAHA, I remember it being really aweful, but I'd forgotten just HOW aweful that conference was!!

"BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEEEEEEEEP"

aghhh!connectivity will never work with nintendo.It ruined games like final fantsay CC and four swords.It has the best chance of working with psp and ps2 but sony want to wait till ps3.BIG mistake!Ps3 is a flop in the making id bet my house on it

My sarcasm detector is broken, so tell me, you're kidding right?

To be honest I don't see many people bothering. I would class myself as a "hardcore" gamer, and even I couldn't be arsed with most of the GBA/GC stuff. There wasn't enough to warrant buying more games for little extras.

My sarcasm detector is broken, so tell me, you're kidding right?

about what now?the ps3 flopping?Well ok not COMPLETELY flopping but it will sell worse than 360 and wii.It costs too much and has no games to show for it.We all know its a matter of time before MGS4 is ported to 360 just like the rest(is 3 on xbox im not sure)

about what now?the ps3 flopping?Well ok not COMPLETELY flopping but it will sell worse than 360 and wii.It costs too much and has no games to show for it.We all know its a matter of time before MGS4 is ported to 360 just like the rest(is 3 on xbox im not sure)

You don't have any proof on any of that, it's simply what you want rather than what will happen.

Sign in to follow this