N-Europe

Wireless Router

kcl91

Heya guys, question about wireless routers.

I want to buy a wireless router so i can go online with my DS and eventually with my Wii. I have AOL Broadband Silver (Wired).

Question about the router: Right now i have a cable which goes from the telephone connection in the wall to a free BT modem that came with AOL package. From there, a blue wire comes out of another socket in the modem which plugs into a USB socket in my Desktop PC.

When I buy a router:

- Where will it go? ie. connect to the USB or staight to the Telephone Cable?

- Can i have my PC wired in but have a wireless signal for my DS and Wii?

- Could I go online with my DS anytime, even when the PC's off?

- Would WiiConnect 24 work?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, i'm no good with computers.:confused:

Also could you reccomend me any good Wireless routers which work with the DS which i could buy in a shop. My parents won't let me buy stuff over the Internet. :cry:

Thanx in Advance

Kcl91: peace:

- The router goes into your phone socket.

- An adapter (USB or PCI) communicates wirelessly between your PC and the router.

- The router is on all the time and has your ISP details, so yes, you could go online using your DS even when your PC is turned off.

- I would imagine it would indeed work with Wii.

This is an exceptional Wireless router that should work with your DS (double check with Nintendo's website).

Remember in order to set up your router in the first place, you need to connect it to your PC, usually with an ethernet card in your PC (they use thick cat-5 cables to connect to the router). You have to connect it to the PC with a wire at first to log in and tell it how to "talk" to your PC and how to connect to your ISP.

I have exactly what you need.

I have Aol silver and it works flawlessly with my DS, 2nd PC everything. Bought it at Comet

only cost about £100

and its one of the highest performance modem/routers on the market.

its the: NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834GT

its the newer version hence the GT. Essential for higher speeds and bigger ranges.

Hopefully it works as well for you as it has for me. Highly rated.

EDIT: comes with a 108mb usb adapter for Wireless internet on a 2nd PC

When I buy a router:

- Where will it go? ie. connect to the USB or staight to the Telephone Cable?

- Can i have my PC wired in but have a wireless signal for my DS and Wii?

- Could I go online with my DS anytime, even when the PC's off?

- Would WiiConnect 24 work?

Diagram:

<ISP>----<modem>----<router>----<devices>

Long answer:

Ok so your ISP has given you a modem on the back there should be one USB connection and one ethernet connection. Ethernet should look like a fat phone jack. Anyway your router will come with one ethernet cable which you plug in to the modem in the etehrnet jack as well as the other end into the router (should be a port called "wan", "internet", or somthing else. There will be a total of 5 ethernet ports on the back of the router (4 for your computers or whatever else and 1 for internet access). If you get a wireless router you will also have an antenna on the thing. Basically this thing is a very small computer that simply routes (hence the name router) network traffic. Your computer and anything else will connect to it via ethernet cable or wireless.

Short answer:

1. It connects to the modem. Everything else connects to it.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

Hope that helps :)

Thanx for all your replies, but i'm still confused.:hmm:

There are 2 ports on the back of my modem. One says DSL where the connection from the phone socket goes in. The second ports says USB and has a blue wire which connects to my PC's USB socket.

When I buy a wireless router, where will it plug in on my modem since there are only two ports?

Also, (ww.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/784_259020.html) this product says it's a 'Wireless 108mbps modem' so does this mean it replaces my Modem?

You don't need the modem when you get the router. Just plug the DSL line to the router and configure it to your ISP's settings.

Cool, I get it now, but can i have my Desktop PC wired in?

Does it go like this:

Phone Socket > DSL Cable > Wireless Router Modem --> (Wireless Signal > DS) and (Wire > Desktop PC)

What wire do i need to plug my PC from my Router Modem?

Yes I would reckon so. My cheap wireless router has a 4 port switch + it can handle 10 (or something like that) wireless connections simultaneously. And for the PC to router connection you'll need an ethernet cable.

Cool, I get it now, but can i have my Desktop PC wired in?

Does it go like this:

Phone Socket > DSL Cable > Wireless Router Modem --> (Wireless Signal > DS) and (Wire > Desktop PC)

What wire do i need to plug my PC from my Router Modem?

Yes you can plug the PC into the router via ethernet/usb cable.

My setup is as follows (with a Netopia 3347NWG):

Phone Socket - DSL cable - Wireless Router Modem

1. - Ethernet cable - PC

2. - Wireless signal - Laptop

I can connect 4 computers via ethernet cables and can have up to 10 wireless connections as well.

You can have both wired and wireless at the same time, you dont need to have any wires connected at all to any computers, though it is recommended to hook up the main one, as if you get locked out after changing settings, you will lose your connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Darn , I bought this exact router the other day and am having no luck at all configuring it to work, I'd like to hook it up via ethernet to my desktop and get a wireless signal to my laptop. I am using AOL silver, can anyone post/type up some sort of complete walkthrough as I am getting rather frustrated.

Thanks very much.

• 1 month later...
my.php?image=3zb4.jpg

This is the back of my Free BT Modem that came with the AOL Silver pACKAGE. I still haven't bought a router yey and i was wondering whether you guys could tell me if this one is good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00008DOYO/202-4426794-0350226?v=glance&n=560798&v=glance

And once i buy this one, will it replace my modem above?

Ok, as far as I know..

If that's a Voyager 105 modem you got there, then yes, the router will replace it (I have the same setup of AOL Silver). However having said that, I still haven't been able to get my router working, it's a bugger to set up with AOL for some reason (Netgear DG834). Not sure about that modem, but I was told that the DG834 *would* work with AOL Silver (have to be careful to make sure it'll be compatible).