Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Simple Question

Ashley

Again someone else's PC (my grandads).

Load it up it says "No operating system." Load up the computer with the Windows 98 CD in and says "could not install windows 98 because there is no hard drive or the hard drive has a problem" (or something similar) so im thinking; hard drive shot to shit. Am I correct?

And seeing as this PC is 5 years old (early 2000 it was bought) he's buggered cause you won't be able to get a new hard drive to fit with such an old system right? Specs:

Pentium III Processor, 500MGHz

64MB PC-100 SDRAM

10GB Hard Drive

Then the rest is piffy stuff like speakers (getting this from catalogue btw).

So basically, theres no hope is there?

yeah it should work although ,you might not be able to use it to its full potential,the bios might not accept the whole of the drive size so it might only say that there is 20 or 30 Gb,although id say that more then likely you will be able to use all of it.

someone else said that there might need to be a different drve type you have to use,you should open your computer and fallow the the flat wide wire that goes from the harddrive and see where it connects into the motherboard,then see if it says IDE anywhere neer the connection.

Guest Offerman
10gb hard drive, do they come that small?, mine is 160gb!

It was only 6 years ago that 10Gb was the norm. My first computer had an 800Mb hard drive.

Guest Offerman
800mb? Mine had a 200mb ish drive I think :P

My grandpa's old computer had even less, 2mb RAM, no Windows :P

Well my Dad had one before that, that had a 20Mb drive. That was 1990 I believe - when I was very young.

EDIT - So whats the biggest you can get at the moment? Is it 400Gbs?