NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
raven_blade2006

Wii for £120!!!?

N64 was £150, I don't think Nintendo have brought out a console that was more expensive than that have they? GC was £129.99 or something I think... So £120 isn't an unreasonable guess. I hope it is that cheap but I'd be willing to pay up to £200 for it - but I'm sure it will be less.

Hmmm, I was kinda hoping for 200 euros, but 250 euros are alright I guess, especially considering it's a maximum price (obviously expecting a 360 price cut).

I hope they bring out a Zelda or Metroid Wii Pak for that price.

I'm guessing it'll release at the same price, or thereabouts, of the other consoles like Iwata said. So £150 is accurate.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=aGb9SiTZ4trI&refer=japan

Yen Forecasts

Nintendo forecasts the yen to trade at an average 110 against the dollar this fiscal year, and at 140 against the euro.

The company, creator of the Super Mario character, is counting on the release of the Wii console to win market share in home gaming from Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

The player won't cost more than 25,000 yen, said Yoshihiro Mori, Nintendo's senior managing director, at a news conference in Osaka. The company expects to ship 6 million Wii consoles this fiscal year, and about 17 million software games for the device.

Nintendo, which has dominated the handheld gaming market since the introduction of the Game Boy in 1989, is also adding features such as a Web browser and television tuner to its DS portables to spur sales.

About 16 million DS handhelds will be shipped this year, from 11.5 million in the year just ended, the company said. Nintendo also plans to sell 70 million games for the DS this year, compared with 50 million shipped last year.

EDIT: Note, that it says won't cost more than, so it could still be cheaper. Anyway, here are current exchange rate values:

25000 Yen = GB£119.23 + [email protected]% = GB£140.10 = ~GB£139.99 RRP

25000 Yen = €174.53

But with varying tax rates, hard to put a firm figure on likely € price, so I will work off the likely UK price.

GB£139.99 = €204.93 = €199.99/€204.99 RRP

The N64 launched at £250, then went down to £150 in about a fortnight.

The Cube was meant to launch at £180, but a week or so before the launch they cut the price to £130.

I was expecting Wii to launch at around £150. Even at a price like £199 it'd still have a massive advantage price-wise, that is unless the 360 has had a price cut by then (Which I imagine it will).

Note that things are generally more expensive here than in Japan (even with tax), so it probably means a £150/€220 maximum price.

Now if Microsoft cuts the price of the 360 I think we're definetely in for a £120/€180 price.

EDIT: Note, that it says won't cost more than, so it could still be cheaper. Anyway, here are current exchange rate values:

25000 Yen = €174.53

But with varying tax rates, hard to put a firm figure on likely € price, so I will work off the likely UK price.

GB£139.99 = €204.93 = €199.99/€204.99 RRP[b/]

Ill work off the Irish tax rate of 21%!!:eek:!

25000 Yen = €174.53 + VAT@21% = €211.18 = ~ €214.99/€219.99RRP

i have £200 saved and will spend it. so cheaper the console the more games and accessories i can get.

Ill work off the Irish tax rate of 21%!!:eek:!

25000 Yen = €174.53 + VAT@21% = €211.18 = ~ €214.99/€219.99RRP

I was working off the fact that Nintendo tend to settle on a common € price and then figure out a "sensible" GB£ price, depending on the exchange rate, so I was basically working backwards from that assumption.

25000 Yen = €174.53

GB£139.99 = €204.93 = €199.99/€204.99 RRP

Well considering the DS lite is £12 cheaper to buy in the US with the VAT added on to its US price, im gonna say based on all the information Wii will cost £150-160.

But in the long run, i expect £130-200

I was working off the fact that Nintendo tend to settle on a common € price and then figure out a "sensible" GB£ price, depending on the exchange rate, so I was basically working backwards from that assumption.

No no i wasnt berating your logic at all......

I think we all have good "estimates". Although Ireland, Finland and Denmark (i think it those 3......ireland anyway) marked up the 360 and extra €10 cos of higher tax rates. So i was just presuming that we'll be paying a tenner more again!

All educated guesses really!

Just thought I'd convert the Japanese DS Lite price, to see if it gives us any indications:

16800 Yen = GB£80.23 + [email protected]% = GB£94.27 = GB£99.99 = GB£5 mark-up!

Not quite as bad as the GB£19 mark-up from the US price, at present, though...

thats probably a very good indication yenrug.

also for €(Irish vat rate)

16800 Yen = €117.39 + VAT@21% = €142.04 = €149.99 = ~€10 mark up

not too bad either

Good approximation. Europe price = Japanese price + tax + 5%

That'd mean €174.53 + €34.90 (20%) + €10.47 = €219.90 exactly.

And bear in mind Nintendo have said it will not ship for more than 25000 Yen

Therefore €220 is the uppermost limit.........according go our basic calcuations

Selling the GC at £130, making the shop demo pod colour purple, having purple as a colour were all mistakes imo.

People (probably casual gamers) saw the cheap price and the look of the GC and instantly thought it was underpowered and 'toy like' compared to the're 'amazing' & 'cool' ps2.

Granted the cube would have done worse at launch with a higher price but in the long run don't you think it hurt the cubes image being something 'cheap' and 'tacky'. Casual gamers were drooling when the ps2 dropped in price, in the're mind why get a cheap toy when they could get a 'cool' ps2 which came out for £250 and is now something like £150 (at the time of cubes launch).

Now with the Wii obviously things are different, It's not trying to be the same as ps3 or 360. It's a lot weaker and isn't about power, It is the second choice console. Nintendo are trying to make it the 'ipod' of home consoles, so it needs to be cheap but not too cheap. Seeing as the DSlite is going to be £99 i would say Nintendo should make it something like £50 more than the lite at all times.

Price really is crucial for the Wii, i don't want to hear people say it's a toy. £150 minimum i reckon.

Price really is crucial for the Wii, i don't want to hear people say it's a toy. £150 minimum i reckon.

I reckon £150 max.

No, theres no way in hell it's going to launch for over £120, it'll be under if anything, these predictions of £200 are pretty stupid and uninformed aswell...Nintendo would never be that stupid.

Sign in to follow this