N-Europe

Phantasy Star Universe.

Caris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy sounds like he didnt like PSO. If he tried to stop me from buying this game he did a pretty poor job of it. I love PSO and even if the graphics havent improved ( which they have ) and the gameplay style is the same then its still a must buy for me.

I apologize for his writing, I know its not the best preview in the world, but we are sorry. We'll have a better suited person for the review of the game.

^

Well, no harm done, just be sure to get an unbiased person for the review. I like to see as many reviews as possible for a game, but in this case I'm quite sure I'll buy it. It'll have to have serious problems for me to avoid it.

I don't think that’s in either but judging by PSO, they'll probably have a version 2 or something somewhere down the line probably with added multiplayer and challenge mode (I hope).

I kind of suprised they didnt put multiplayer mode in the game. At the very least they could of allowed a second player to control a character in the offline story mode.

Guest Stefkov

I read through the article of PSO in my X360 mag, and it sounds good, but i have a question, whats the fighting style like? is it urn based, or can you all go at it like in say guild wars. I liked the part about your own lobby, decoratingit with shiny things so that you attract noobs.

I read through the article of PSO in my X360 mag, and it sounds good, but i have a question, whats the fighting style like? is it urn based, or can you all go at it like in say guild wars. I liked the part about your own lobby, decoratingit with shiny things so that you attract noobs.

Yeah I think the room feature is awesome I can't wait to mess around with that. The fighting style is real time in PSU, here's a couple of video's that should give you an idea of what its like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiLK12GauE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGs36UxuiYw

You might notice in that second video that you can duel weild weapons since the character is holding two different types (sword and gun).

Known facts about Phantasy Star Universe

- About the team behind the game:

Takao Miyoshi is the producer Phantasy Star Universe. Sonic Team seems to be the developers, and sega is the publisher. It should be noted that IGN, has Sonic Team and Total Entertainment Software [With Yuji Naka as listed as the developers.

- Different versions of the game:

There will be a PS2 version, a PC version, and a Xbox360 version. The PS2 and PC users will be able to play togheter, but it seems that xbox360 will only be able to play online among themselves.

- Release dates:

It seems to PS2 and PC versions will be released slightly before the 360 versions. I've found different release dates at gamespot VS AMN for example, so I cannot be sure. Most sites seems to point to that this game will be released within 2006 for all 3 versions, in Japan, US and Europe.

- How much will it cost to play online?

That has not yet been decided, according to the latest information I could find.

- The game will both have offline 1 player, and online multiplayer.

So far, it seems that it will not have offline multiplayer, in any of the versions. Offline, will have a story this time. At the first trailer of PSU, they hinted at the 1 player mode of PSU being "Phantasy Star 5". This means that you cannot level up your character offline, and then later take the same character online. The 1 offline mode is said to be a 40 hours long, story driven RPG.

- How about the different classes?

The game will have humans, CAST, the Newmans, and the Beasts.

- Character customisation for the online mode includes:

"This complete customization of your character includes changing facial features such as eye color, eye shape, eyebrows, etc. and altering the height and weight of the physique with the morphing function. You can also change clothing, glasses, caps, and even give your character tattoos depending on your character’s race." [directly copy and pasted from a AMN PSU interview.]

- Will there be voice chat in the game?

In a AMN PSU interview, the answer is simply that the 360 version will have voice chat. No word on the pc version (or ps2 version.).

Sources:

Advancedmn.com PSU interview, IGN and Gamespot.

If the Pc and Ps2 version are the same then i doubt it will have offline multi player. I know it is possible to have multi player on a PC while offline but i cant really see sega going through all the trouble to make that work.

Guest Stefkov
Yeah I think the room feature is awesome I can't wait to mess around with that. The fighting style is real time in PSU, here's a couple of video's that should give you an idea of what its like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiLK12GauE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGs36UxuiYw

You might notice in that second video that you can duel weild weapons since the character is holding two different types (sword and gun).

cheers, that looks pretty good, that first vid was good with the other guy running around in the back. i definitely get this.

I have a deck of PSO playing cards, how jealous are all of you!!!That aside I like the fact they kept it to 4 players per a game(I think), keeps it nice and intimate.

Hey man I got those too, I won mine on the PSO account site, also, the ammount of people in a game is 6 but I'm pretty sure someone said you can set that to whatever you want on pso-world (I might be wrong though)

Heh heh I think nearly everyone won a deck of cards. 6 isn't bad but I hope doesn't go into WoW proportions in the size of players available to join.

I was talking to one of my friends about that. It doesn't fell like a team in WoW with that many poeple.

I have a deck of PSO playing cards, how jealous are all of you!!!

That aside I like the fact they kept it to 4 players per a game(I think), keeps it nice and intimate.

I was sent a pack for complaining about the Frozen Screen of Death. It wiped my memory card if I remember correctly, and I filled in a email survey and a few weeks later they came in the post.

I'm tempted by this game, I might get the pc version (spec depending), though the fee will have to suitable especially if I'm playing WoW at the same time.

I'm tempted by this game, I might get the pc version (spec depending), though the fee will have to suitable especially if I'm playing WoW at the same time.

Required:

Operating System: Windows 2000 with SP4

CPU: Pentium 4 1.6 GHz

RAM: 256 MB

Disk Space: 9 GB

Video Card: 3D Card with 64 MB of VRAM

DVD Drive: DVD Drive capable of reading 2 Layer Discs

DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

Connection: Broadband above 256 kbps

Recommended:

Operating System: Windows XP with SP2

CPU: Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

RAM: 512 MB

Disk Space: 9 GB

Video Card:3D Card with 128 MB of VRAM

DVD Drive: DVD Drive capable of reading 2 Layer Discs

DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

Connection: Broadband above 256 kbps

How about now?

They Just release the PSU "Premiere disc" which is basically a demo of the game with a bit of offline and online mode on it (Sorry Japan only). Someone's been kind enough to record himself playing and put the video up at youtube:

Hey Shadow, hope you don't mind me asking, how come you can get the Wii online but not your PS2?

Edit- some stuff from pso-world: ( not new info but just incase its new to some of you)

• PC and Playstation 2 owners will play on the same servers and online accounts will be interchangable.
  • There is no offline-multiplayer mode. Given the strain that Phantasy Star Universe puts on the Playstation 2, it was simply impossible to incorporate a split-screen mode.
  • The online game flow will work like this: city-> mission -> resupply area -> mission -> goal lobby.
  • Missions are expected to take between 15 minutes and 1 to complete.
  • Goal lobbies will contain relaxing settings such as hot springs.
  • For online play, the servers will handle most of the data processing. If any glitches are discovered, it will be easier to issue patches. If a client patch is needed for the Playstation 2, the patch will be downloaded to a memory card. The HDD is not supported. Online cheating will simply be impossible according to the developer.
  • Online character names will not be unique.
  • The Playstation 2 version will not have a screenshot function due to its memory limitations and lack of an Internet browser.
  • Sonic Team is hoping to release a fan site kit that will contain things such as banners and fonts.
  • Even when you are not online, time will continue to pass in the online world. For example, people will be able to visit your room and buy items from your Player Shop - if it has been setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamespot have put up 5 new video's on there Xbox360 pages, there all seem to be from the offline mode.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/phantasystariv/media.html

And IGN have a hands on preview now up: http://pc.ign.com/articles/727/727216p1.html

Edit: This is a pciture taken at the Leipzig Game Con, Looks like a November release date for Europe!:

psurelease.jpg

Famitsu score is in

9 / 9 / 8 / 9 - (35/40)

They did the review from the PS2 version.

Seems like a must buy now really.............although I don't think I'll bother for a while because of the way my Uni halls blocks online games.