NEurope
Guest Jordan

MP3 Player Guide

Get some decent headphones and you can really tell the difference. I have most of my music in either FLAC lossless or the highest quality VBR OGG.

It really doesn't make a difference to me. Transparency happens at different levels for different people. For me the medium preset of lame works great. I was originally using the standard preset, but then I tried medium and couldn't tell the difference.

While in New york I pick my self up a Creative Zen Vision M, does anyone know if i can get a better docking station for it other than the adapter that plugs in the bottom.

K, I love the iPod but I really can't be arsed to wait around 12 months for them to finally put some features I want/need from an mp3 player.

I need 30gb at least, I want something simple and stylish.. I like listening to the radio.. in particular Zane Lowe's mix tapes that he does on Thursdays.

Are there any decent mp3 players that have a line in built in and can record 'on the fly' into a set mp3 instead of doing it just into .wave which is very memory intensive.

And something that has a line out.. I've been looking at the Cowon iAudio, they seem to fit the bill but does anyone else have any other recommendations? PS. it has to work with a mac.

I'm sick of not being able to listen to music on the go so i'm just gonna get an mp3 after much delaying.

Stuff I'd like:

general crap, good battery life, software.. interface/design. not too fussed about this.

must have: line in/out with on the fly recording into a set mp3 quality (eg 256kbps .mp3) and at least 30gb oh yeah and work with a mac.. drag and drop is fine.

cable_mess.jpg this one seems pretty solid.. and they have more active firmware upgrades than PSP do- meaning those little flaws in the OS should be kinked out sooner or later.

I'm very interested in this.

i love my 8gb creative zen micro photo- its tiny gorgeous, great sound quality and has enough memory to store all my cd's and a couple of my friends collections too! and if i get bored i have the radio :D

i'm in love!

Has anyone used one of those new sony ones, the look allright. Im after a mp3 player, I am tempted by an ipod but only because of the looks, and because everyone has one etc. I would preffer to be able to move music dirrectly from media player, and the ipod system sounds really annoying. Whats the smallest/most stylish mp3 player, is there going to be a new ipod soon. Also with ipods can you just burn a song off media player to a disk, then load up the ipod software and load the mp3 off the disk, then put it onto the ipod.???

I probaly would only want room for around 500-1000 songs.

I would stay away from the Sony players, mainly because the software youll need to use to put the music on the players is awful. Their players are very good but the software really lets the hardware down.

The next iPod will probably be the proper iPod video and the Nano is rumoured to be getting a storage update + video playback. So it might be an idea to wait to see what Apple releases soon.

What did you mean about "burn a song off media player to a disk"? do you mean ripping music off a cd? itunes will do that for you.

Im trying to find a red zen microphoto but there doesnt seem to be any offers .... id appreciate if somebody found me one. Im getting a zen because 1.) its not an ipod 2.) its got perfectly enough storage space for my needs 3.) it looks cool 4.) has a chunky solid feel but its not too big 5.) Has Recorder (radio?) and stores photos. 6.) it comes in many a colour and has the little glowing light.

Can anyone who has a zen microphoto confirm that my decision is a good one and that its a good piece of kit.

I really want a red one! im desperate! please help!

thanks

Ok how the hell do I get rid of the little pauses between songs on an MP3 player (Vision M)?

Ok, i'd appreciate some help here, I'm planning on getting an mp3 player. But I have seen a few ones. Creative Zen Micro Photo, Rio Carbon 6gb (yeah, I know they don't make em but you can still get them) and iRiver h10 6gb.

I really just need space for 1500 songs. I would like to put some photos on them but, I don't really mind. I have to say, I do (although I wish I didn't) care about style and size alot. Can you give me your opinions on these players?

Yes, I would specifically be also interested in peoples opinions of the Rio Carbon as nobody seems to have it or know of it. On paper it looks pretty swish, so to speak, but I'd appreciate any user feedback on it.

Thanks

Yes, I would specifically be also interested in peoples opinions of the Rio Carbon as nobody seems to have it or know of it. On paper it looks pretty swish, so to speak, but I'd appreciate any user feedback on it.

Thanks

I wouldn't, Rio is no more so for return/repair reasons i wouldn't unless it was too good a price to miss

I wouldn't, Rio is no more so for return/repair reasons i wouldn't unless it was too good a price to miss

1yr RTB Warranty, 6 Gigs, £90. Looks good

rio_carbon.jpg

my friend used to have one, it was brilliant. but the buttons sometimes stuck. (which was very frustrating)

So any help for me?

Hmm, on another note, to do with MP3 players + Nintendo, what ever happen to the Play Yan getting a release in Europe? I'm sure it was confirmed but it just seemed to fizzle out. If it did happen it'd solve all my musical (and video!) needs as I have a Micro.

I got a ipod nano for my birthday, and I think it's great, it's all I want, as I have no need for huge memory or video functions, it's a nice size, and itunes is quite cool, music is cheap on there and being able to buy single tracks is a very good function.

1yr RTB Warranty, 6 Gigs, £90. Looks good

rio_carbon.jpg

The Rio Carbon is a great player. 18 hours battery life and very good sound quality (if you use decent earphones) The controls and ui are very easy to use. Its great to be able to control the volume of the player while its in your pocket without having to look at the player. My favourite feature is that it requires no drivers or software to load the music onto the player: just drag and drop.

Ive bought a 5gb and its till working after a dropped it a few times.

£90 is a bargin for a 6gb Carbon. I paid £180 for a 5GB on launch day.

Edit: if you do decide to buy it, you must download the latest firmware here:

http://www.content-type.com/-469455718/rio.exe.htm

It adds on the fly playlisting, folder navigation and reading of txt files.

mario_jr all mp3 players have gaps inbetween tracks. Only the Rio Karma had gapless playback and sadly no mp3 player company has bought and used the chipset that the Karma had.

mario_jr all mp3 players have gaps inbetween tracks. Only the Rio Karma had gapless playback and sadly no mp3 player company has bought and used the chipset that the Karma had.

Actually you are wrong :shock:

All sony players play gapless IF the music is encoded in ATRAC, which is a format only supported by sony, so it kinda sucks but its gapless :grin:

Thats why i didnt mention it.

Anyone who wants to use Sonicstage and Craptrac must have some sort of sadistic tendencies in wanting to punish themselves.

:D

What if I sync it through WMP 11 instead of the software that came with the MP3 player, will it still have the annoying pauses?:wtf:

Like i said: all mp3 players play mp3 albums with the gaps inbetween each track.

Unless you join all the tracks into one big mp3 file you will have gaps. This will occur with all Creative, Apple, iriver, conwon and samsung players.

Just ordered a Creative Vision: M, the sexy black ones

Hurry up Amazon!!! ^_^

Just ordered a Creative Vision: M, the sexy black ones

Hurry up Amazon!!! ^_^

That looks the fucking sex.

Good buy. Creative also have realiablity factor - so it should last you a couple of years hopefully.

Aye, its being dispatched today apparently. Should I expect it tomorrow, or give it a few days?

Can I delete iTunes now? My music will still all be on the comp and stuff?

How do I configure my WMP to show up on the now playing thing on MSN?

I miss iTunes allready :(