NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

I really think we can survive without Cloud, he's a moody git.

Some Final Fantasy summons via the Assist Trophies could be chaotic though.

Got some impressions of Diddy Kong from those that played as him at E for All. Quite interesting as he's completely different to DK.

'Alright, let’s start off with Diddy Kong. I played as Diddy a bit and watched some other competitive players use him a lot. Diddy moves up and down quickly, which is important in Brawl since most players seem to be slower in this regard (he is still slower up and down than any melee character is, that’s for sure). Diddy moves fast, a lot of his moves combo fairly well and he has some nice KO potential. He isn’t particularly strong, but he kills reasonably well. Diddy’s recovery is questionable however. You can over b and it causes him to do a little jumping grab towards whatever side you pressed, or you can use his up b.

Diddy’s Up B is chargeable, he will hover during the charge for a moment then will start to fall quicker and quicker (think holding fox’s shine from melee). Diddy’s uncharged up b goes only a short distance, and only goes straight up, so you almost have to charge it at most moments. When it is charged you can move to the left or the right, fully charged this up b goes FAR and FAST. There is a SERIOUS problem with Diddy’s up b however. It seems that if you hit Diddy out of his up b with certain moves he can’t up b again until he has touched the ground. Yes, that means if you hit him out of his up b he cannot up b again. He CAN use his over b, which does gain small amounts of height and horizontal distance, but this needs to be fixed. I’m unsure as to whether or not ALL moves knock the barrels off of Diddy, or if it only happens at certain frames, but I know that I saw him unable to up b after getting hit SEVERAL times, and it happened to me once when I was using Diddy. We didn’t just mess up, this was simply how it worked. This needs to be fixed because it’s a little extreme, and also incredibly random. This factor seems to be holding back Diddy a little bit, but he is still overall a very good character.

With the game generally being more floaty and slower, having a character who seems to move up and down quicker, as well as have a fast run speed seemed to be very advantageous for the game play. Diddy’s grabs seemed to be effective, one or two of them looked like they could even combo (which is much more rare in this game) and his grab range is really high. Diddy unfortunately seems to suffer from a lack of range on most of his aerials and ground attacks, but generally his overall speed, comboabiltiy, and edgeguarding make up for that. His weakness is likely his recovery.

The coolest thing I saw a Diddy do at the expo was a sort of anti edgeguard. Nick (Diddy) was playing against Mike Haze (Fox). Haze went out to edgeguard Nick and he used his over b. Diddy’s forward b is an air grab. The move grabbed Mike, he hit him a couple times, then he spiked him straight down out of it. Diddy’s air grab is the coolest spike I’ve ever seen. Diddy is also able to use his up b after this move lands, because Nick made it back onto the stage safely after that.

Diddy also has a fairly reliable projectile, it doesn’t do a lot of knockback and it isn’t too quick… Think of Diddy almost like you thought of Mario in melee (if I have to make a comparison between the two games that is) he is pretty strong in mostly every area, lacks in range, has a situational projectile, and doesn’t have the strongest of kill moves.'

Oh ohh, I see. But there seems to be a hell of a lot of sendable content that just makes space a critical problem.

But the content won't have large file sizes.

Edit: They've unblurred the snapshot picture

various07_071012g-l.jpg

Has Cloud ever been on a Nintendo platform though? Which is the requirement for third party characters.

So er, I'm gonna say the hero from Dragon Quest. Chrono has a good shot though.

Didn't say Cloud did I?

I putting money on; Warrior, Black Mage (both from FF1) or maybe Sora.

Chrono has a MUCH better chance of being in the game than Cloud. For a start chrono has actually appeared on a nintendo console lol.

Didn't say Cloud did I?

Dude, I was gonna say Black Mage and Sora too. A black mage would be almost too good, I could quite enjoy wreaking havoc with one! Sora would be good too, some Keyblade slicing.

Didn't say Cloud did I?

I was quoting the wrong person.

Anywho, it's gotta be a Dragon Quest Characters, I don't think any individual FF character is big enough to appear in Smash Bros (Except those 7 onwards... who were on Playstation).

And I don't think Chrono Trigger is really big enough either. Would be great to have a chocobo assist trophey though lol.

In my mind, Sora would work very well in Smash Bros., but does it count that he has appeared on the DS?

Hmm, am I being a total noob when I say that he was in Chain of Memories on the GBA too? I have that game so I better be right...:blank:

Hmm, am I being a total noob when I say that he was in Chain of Memories on the GBA too? I have that game so I better be right...:blank:

I could be wrong. I think I was actually thinking of that game, but isn't there also a DS KH game coming up? And is Sora in any of those games at all?

The story centers around the protagonist of the first game, Sora, exploring a mysterious castle in search of his friends.

Wiki says that, so it looks like Sora was in it.

And actually Cloud did make a cameo appearance in Kingdom Hearts: CoM on the GBA. :heh:

And yes Sora was the main protagonist of that game.

Phoenix Wright deserves to make an appearence. I don't care how he does it but his 'objection' MUST be in it.

A square-enix character... let's look at the possibilities:

-Crono: Hasn't appeared in a loooong while. Still has a good shot. Good moves to work with, made his name in a nintendo console...but there are more recognizable candidates. Don't forget he's not very well known.

-Sora: Actually has a better chance than Crono. Is more well known than him at the moment. Plus, since he appeared on Nintendo handhelds, he's pretty much on the "Snake boat". Made his name on the Playstation, yet can appear in Brawl.

-Black Mage/Warrior: The best Final Fantasy candidate. Let's face it, if someone should be picked from FF6, who would it be? A generic warrior from FF1 is not only simpler, it can actually represent the whole series. My pick would be with the mage.

-Dragon Quest Hero: Are you kidding? If a generic warrior was to be chosen, the FF fighters would be much better.

-Geno: Of course, the square character that belongs to the Mario universe. The icon theory benefits him (he doesn't come from a completely new series) and he has a cult following behind him. Maybe they end up going with him.

I don't think any other character has better chances than those. And I don't think Cloud/Sephiroth's cameo in the portable games count, but who knows?

Also, Phoenix Wright FTW. I barely know him, but I know he's very awesome. Could be a great assist trophy, in my opinion.

I think Crono and Geno have the best chances for making it in as a Square-Enix character if there will be one.

And Phoenix Wright has to be in in some form. :D

Some Final Fantasy summons via the Assist Trophies could be chaotic though.

Thats what I'm talking about brother! Imagine the epicness of having giant beast swooping from the air etc. Bahamut flying down and delivering a giga flare or Ifrit come up from the ground to deliver Hell Fire!!

Er, fuck off, I'm the guy that suggests Crono. And if he doesn't make it, heads are gonna roll, and I promise you, Iwata's and Sakurai's are gonna be the first to go.

Its between Geno and Megaman or if Sakurai is ultra generous might have both, although more likely to only be one of them. That is all. The rest don't have a chance in the world, not enough demand in the surveys...

I found Chrono Trigger a bit boring. Geno should easy make it in.

Theres a very good chance considering 1) He was one of the highest demanded third party characters behind Sonic, 2) While hes only been in one game, he was in one critical Mario game on SNES in Super Mario RPG, he has a cult following with certain groups of people as already mentioned earlier hence why demand in the surveys so high. You only need to go back to the survey to see that the bulk of the characters that have fared well in the survey have made the cut and I think if it were to be only one between Geno and Megaman, Geno would take it out merely for demand, although out of the two, i'd prefer Megaman. Both would be the best though!

YOU GO TO HELL! YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

Eat shit and die.