NEurope
Dutt

Super Smash Bros Melee

Have ever watched a proper 1 on 1 match with an audience watching? At the OC2 tourny (World Championship of Smash) that took place a few days ago, you'd have to be blind to say 1 on 1 was boring! The tension was unbelievable!

That's completely different, a match like that rarely happens, and when you're with friends a 4 player with all items match it's usualy more fun. With my friends a 1 on 1 match it's only used to decide who's the bitch.

That's completely different, a match like that rarely happens, and when you're with friends a 4 player with all items match it's usualy more fun. With my friends a 1 on 1 match it's only used to decide who's the bitch.

Hmmm. Well if there are 4 of us, we usually do a 4 way match with no items or a team match with friendly fire on/off.

Have ever watched a proper 1 on 1 match with an audience watching? At the OC2 tourny (World Championship of Smash) that took place a few days ago, you'd have to be blind to say 1 on 1 was boring! The tension was unbelievable!

That may be true, but i don't have an audience in my house.

For that kind of 1on1 skill showing play i'll just pick up Soul Calibur 2 or Naruto GNT4.

Just curious. Does anyone know why did nintendo hide the random select character like an invisible button?

Maybe they wanted you to discover it (like techng). It's more fun that way.

Anyway, I think that 2on2 is much better free for all, its much more fun working as a team. Anyone agree with me?

Yeah, 2on2 is awesome but, i perfer it without items.

Finally, someone who agrees with me :bouncy:

If I play 2on2, its always without items. I only play with items if I decide to do Adventure or Classic mode, but mostly it's a high tempo, fast flowing 1 on 1 match.

Wow...You really know NOTHING about Smash Bros. That move of Kirby's is crap, like most of his other moves...he really needs impoving for the next one.

No skill??.....Are you insane??...Have you even played this game??

good god calm down!kirbys down and b move is flawless,Yes i know about the game i have almost all the tropies and have all the characters....the game uses 2 buttons for attacks!Not very skillful if u ask me or am i missing something?

What kind of people do you usually play against? Complete retards I suspect. You seriously have no idea of how to play smash properly because you just said that smash has "more or less no skill to it". FYI smash is one of the most skill based fighters out there on any system.

U cannot be serious!I'm not saying this game is bad or anything.i like this game but dear god..Most skillful on a any system?U are including virtua fighter and street fighter 2 in this?

good god calm down!kirbys down and b move is flawless,Yes i know about the game i have almost all the tropies and have all the characters....the game uses 2 buttons for attacks!Not very skillful if u ask me or am i missing something?

U cannot be serious!I'm not saying this game is bad or anything.i like this game but dear god..Most skillful on a any system?U are including virtua fighter and street fighter 2 in this?

I play both VF and LOVE SF2 and SMash easily requires more skill. In those games you can combo very easily once you know how and it requires you to press way fewer buttons than Smash (especially if Smash is being played with fast characters).

Comboing well in Smash can require excellent L-cancelling, wavedashing, but more importantly, Mindgames. THe levels in Smash are very large, and only an idiot would walk right into your moves/combos. The skill it requires to get your opponents into your combos on smash is rediculous. As much as i LOVE street fighter (i was brought up on it), the skill required to win in Smash is a lot more.

Just watch a vid of Ken playing Bombsoldier on youtube. Pretty much ends the discussion.

EDIT: Erm, did you say Kirbys Down+B move is flawless? The people you play with mustn't be able to shield-Grab very well.....

EDIT: Erm, did you say Kirbys Down+B move is flawless? The people you play with mustn't be able to shield-Grab very well.....

Or dodge...or even block at all!? haha.

Smash Bros. is so skill related though, my bro usually beats me n my mates; he uses Mewtwo....I've ended up mainly using Jigglypuff now :wtf:(Also, thanks to Zell, I think, who told me Pound wasn't crap, I use it all the time now, thanks :))

We're nowhere near as skilled as Goron3 or Zell, can't wavedash,but we're not crap either, haha, I'd say we were the higher end of the scale :heh: (At least I hope we are:))

2 buttons for attacks?...I think you're forgetting grabbing for one:indeed:

And yes, I think you're missing nearly everything, A, B & Z (If you use that) is just the icing of Smash Bros., there's all sorts of skill involved including dodging, Ukemi (Teching), Wavedashing, knowing how to use characters moves and abilities to your advantage, and knowing your enemies weaknesses, both in the character, and the player.

I would go on more, but can't be bothered.....Street Fighter 2 skilled?...Compared to Smash Bros. it isn't at all.

Also...does anyone know if Donkey Kong's any good and/or how to use him well?

Smash Bros. is so skill related though, my bro usually beats me n my mates; he uses Mewtwo....I've ended up mainly using Jigglypuff now :wtf:

We're nowhere near as skilled as Goron3 or Zell, can't wavedash,but we're not crap either, haha, I'd say we were the higher end of the scale :heh: (At least I hope we are:))

Exactly. It's the most pointless attack in the entire game!

Me and Zell were really bad in those videos compared to now lol...and Jigglypuff is REALLY good! Her air attacks and multiple jumps are so useful...you just have to jump around, and when they attack, all you have to do is jump out the way and BAM! Her Rest is pretty awesome too:bouncy:

Smash Bros. is so skill related though, my bro usually beats me n my mates; he uses Mewtwo....I've ended up mainly using Jigglypuff now :wtf:(Also, thanks to Zell, I think, who told me Pound wasn't crap, I use it all the time now, thanks :))

2 buttons for attacks?...I think you're forgetting grabbing for one:indeed:

And yes, I think you're missing nearly everything, A, B & Z (If you use that) is just the icing of Smash Bros., there's all sorts of skill involved including dodging, Ukemi (Teching), Wavedashing, knowing how to use characters moves and abilities to your advantage, and knowing your enemies weaknesses, both in the character, and the player.

I would go on more, but can't be bothered.....Street Fighter 2 skilled?...Compared to Smash Bros. it isn't at all.

u use 6 attack buttons in street fighter 2 not to mention having to actually learn off moves(something that is missing from smash bros unless u find down and b hard to remember) and thats a 15 year old game compared to 3(the grapple which i never use anyway).

If u think smash bros is more skilled than street fighter 2 then i'm ending this now!

ill just say(and this was my opinion by the way)in my opinion smash bros melee is a good game but could be better!

that good enough?

u use 6 attack buttons in street fighter 2 not to mention having to actually learn off moves(something that is missing from smash bros unless u find down and b hard to remember) and thats a 15 year old game compared to 3(the grapple which i never use anyway).

If u think smash bros is more skilled than street fighter 2 then i'm ending this now!

ill just say(and this was my opinion by the way)in my opinion smash bros melee is a good game but could be better!

that good enough?

Erm...wtf? Before you go off, read this post and watch BOTH the videos.

Having 2 buttons to attack means nothing. You can't possibly say that because there are less buttons it requires less skills.

That video is a fox combo video. The combos in that video show just how skillful you have to be. A simple combo that Fox uses is: Short Hop, Drill Kick, L-cancel, Down+B, Jump Cancel, Wavedash and repeat. Now, people have owned Smash for years and ihardly any players could pull that off during competitive play. That combo needs to be done in under a second if it can be repeated, hence why Smash is considered to be so skillful, because half the stuff in the game can only be done if you have amazing reflexes.

Now that's a video of two players who know the advanced techniques for both Ganon and Falcon. The video is NOT sped up in any form, it just appears fast due to techniques they have learned. Now, both those players play with an amazing tempo, and if one makes a mistake (especially ganon as if you don't L-cancel, he is freakishly slow), the other will have a split second to attack. Both these players are, like the comments on that page show, very good, however the game requires so much skill that if those 2 players played someone like Ken, they would get 3/4 stocked VERY easily.

Smash IS the most skillful fighting game there is. Seriously, just watch a good match, because the chances are you WON'T be able to pull of some of the stuff they can do, but with Street Fighter (even turbo on the SNES played on turbo 3), the player can learn and perform combos MUCH easier.

He's not bad, but has a glaring weakness. All his attacks take a long time to hit, and usually gets his ass kicked by someone fast. To be good with him, you need to have great timing, first of all, but you also must use his b+side move. You can get a short breather that way. Also, his b+down can help keep someone like fox from running through you. He's good if you take the time to learn his proper technique. Wavedashing helps, but you said you couldn't do it, so it's kind of irrelevant.

There's a difference betweeen having skills and remembering combos.

I think the wise owl puts it best.

I wish my reflexes for Smash were better Goron 3, I accidentily fell into a mine earlier because i tried to knock my bro into it but 'pulled away' to late, so hit it myself after flying for a split second after a kick as Jigglypuff.

And mcj Metroid, of course Shash Bros. can be improved, the characters are unbalanced :heh:

And thanks for the DK hints 'Owl', I tried using him the other day and did horribly :heh:

I think the wise owl puts it best.

I wish my reflexes for Smash were better Goron 3, I accidentily fell into a mine earlier because i tried to knock my bro into it but 'pulled away' to late, so hit it myself after flying for a split second after a kick as Jigglypuff.

And mcj Metroid, of course Shash Bros. can be improved, the characters are unbalanced :heh:

And thanks for the DK hints 'Owl', I tried using him the other day and did horribly :heh:

Smash can easily be improved, as, like you said, the characters are sometimes unbalanced.

Infact, the 'Top Tier' characters are all far to good and broken:

-Shiek: Can combo her tilts into her forward Air move with easy. Very fast, can combo with dash attack, and can transform into zelda to boost recovery.

-Fox: If you're quick enough, you can perform the infinite combo. Down+B can kill when you're at 0%. Insanely quick.

-Marth: Best reach in the game, best Grab game, and has the best edgegaurding abilities.

-Peach: Can pull out the 'killer' turnip, amazing recovery, and has the Down-Smash of a goddess that can do up to 80% if you're crouching.

-Falco: Once you've learnt the basic techniques with him, and then some (like Zell), he can combo with EASE! Also he has the best projectile in the game.

The game can be improved...but it doesn't mean it's not great!

Ah yes! We have some friendly smash discussion :D.

To mcj metroid: yes there are 2 buttons, but from those 2 buttons comes 17 moves, not including grab moves, shielding, rolling, sidestepping, airdodging as well as advanced techniques such as shorthopping, wavedashing, l-cancelling, teching etc. So I can safely say that there is plenty of versitility from those 2 buttons.

Smash Bros. is so skill related though, my bro usually beats me n my mates; he uses Mewtwo....I've ended up mainly using Jigglypuff now (Also, thanks to Zell, I think, who told me Pound wasn't crap, I use it all the time now, thanks )

We're nowhere near as skilled as Goron3 or Zell, can't wavedash,but we're not crap either, haha, I'd say we were the higher end of the scale (At least I hope we are)

Cheers for the amazing complement. We're not that great, I like to consider myself a good player but there are obviously people that are better. For someone who knows about advanced techs and whatnot, you don't seem to be too far behind.

Don't you all get bored of playing in the same level, the same charecters (marth, falco, fox), with out items and 1 on 1?

Also, there's a high probability that all those exploit's are going to be eliminated in Brawl.

Don't you all get bored of playing in the same level, the same charecters (marth, falco, fox), with out items and 1 on 1?

Also, there's a high probability that all those exploit's are going to be eliminated in Brawl.

Exploits? You are aware L-cancelling and Teching and stuff like that have deliberately been added into the game right? Hence why characters have seperates animations for them? L-cancelling is common sense and has been in both the games and with definately be in the 3rd. Getting rid of these will make the game far less competitive and therefore less people will buy it, and SMash in general will probably get kicked out of MLG.

Also, you say marth, falco, fox, however there are 26 characters....When I play, I switch between Marth (my main), Ganondorf (so awesomely cool no?) and Captain Falcon (best.taunt.ever), and we don't just play 1 stage; we play on any of the tourny levels (Dreamland, FD, FoD, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi Story, or Battlefield).

No items makes a game tense. With them it just makes it dull because it's very strongly luck based.If I wanted that, I'd just flip a coin and try and guess the outcome.

Whenever I use Capt. Falcon, I change him into Capt. Faggot instead ;)

I really hope they don't change much about Jigglypuff on the next one, she's so awesome.:D

And I think the only thing they need to do to Mewtwo is get rid of that crappy Stare move for something else, I used to think they should change way more, but he's fine the way he is, once you master him more, even if he's not very Mewtwo-y:heh:

I never realised Peach was Top Tier, that's pretty weird, cos it doesn't seem like she would be.

Another Q :heh:: What Meteor attacks, or similar, do Sheik & Zelda have?

Zelda's dair meteors, and if you use her dtilt next to the edge it meteors as well.

As for sheik, I'm not too sure, the dair may spike (?) try it out and see.

Zelda's dair meteors, and if you use her dtilt next to the edge it meteors as well.

As for sheik, I'm not too sure, the dair may spike (?) try it out and see.

Shiek has NO spike attacks, but tbh, it's not like you need them! Infact, the Dair actually sends them UPWARDS....WTF!

Okay, cool, I played as Sheik earlier and did pretty well, I've just never really been too good with Zeleik :heh: cos of not knowing any decent killing moves (except Zeldas kick)

I was playing today with a mate n my bro without items today & 3 lives; i liked it :)

Okay, cool, I played as Sheik earlier and did pretty well, I've just never really been too good with Zeleik :heh: cos of not knowing any decent killing moves (except Zeldas kick)

I was playing today with a mate n my bro without items today & 3 lives; i liked it :)

Zelda has pretty good throws (back throw is very good) but she isn't very strong otherwise.

And yes, 3 way without items is awesome. Me and mates usually do 4 stock for 1on1, but do 3 lives for 3way fights.

3 way fights suck in general. They don't really work, you attack someone and then get stabbed in the back by the bystander. Its good if you're not taking things seriously and all.