NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

What's in the Flap...

There's one more big secret of the Revolution left, and one more 'flap' left to be opened. People are thinking it's something to do with the secret. We know that the Revolution will support SD cards, it will have memory card slots for GC memory cards and two USB ports. We've seen the memory card slots and USB ports. There aren't any slots for the SD card yet. Only place they could be is under the flap?

There's still space for something else under there though...........

I read it was where the SD cards where,wonder if something else could fit in there.

Yeah post E3 2005 I think it was ign that said the flap was for GC memory cards and SD cards. There could be a little extra something under the flap, but I doubt it. Still would be nice.

God, have you even looked at the pictures?

The top panel of the Revolution houses 4 GameCube controller ports and 2 GameCube memory ports.. this is hidden by a flap to maintain an elegant design when not in use. Well known fact since TGS 2005.

The front on the flap is still unknown.. rumour has it in a press event Satoru Iwata pointed to the Revolution's flap and said "the real Revolution is in here" though I have not personally read any report online of him saying this.

Rumours suggest it is a SD card slot.. I think it is unlikely that it is an extra usb slot which was also suggested because there's already 2 on the back.

It's not any kind of sensor and we know that the DVD dongle which is 'self contained internally' on the bottom serial port of the Revolution much like the GameCube's ports are on the bottom.

It's hard to say.. from a design point of view with chipsets it would be very easy to put the SD card slots on the top of the console where the GameCube ports are. It would be simpler chipset design by having all slots on one plane like a typical mother board.

I'm not sure.

I think it's the 'big secret'

nintendorevolutionside1ok.jpg

Revolution has 512mb on board storage which can be used for save games, this storage is general space and can also be used by developpers as an extra store for games ram.

The GameCube ports are solely there for 'true' backwards compatibility.. you can simply upgrade from a cube and keep all your old saves for Twilight Princess.

The use of SD cards has been rumoured to extend the 512mb on board in particular for people who make extensive use of the Revolution's virtual console.. Nintendo has also hinted that they want to give consumers choice rather than going to Microsoft way and charging £70 for a 20gb hard drive.

They are going to be including generic drivers for USB pen drives so they can be plugged into the back of the console for extra storage.

I think it's al being blown out of proportion because don't really know how big the virtual console or save files will be.. 512mb could be ample for demos, back catalogue and saves.

Until we know that a N64 game is 32mb for example or a NES game is 500kb we can't quantify how good the storage is built in.

Important thing is- Nintendo has made provision for saved data to be very cheap and modular.

I'll probably use the on board 512mb complimented by a larger SD card which I can also use for my digital camera. Then a standard GameCube memory card for backwards compatibility.

Perhaps it's where the DVD-playing-enabling dongle will slot in.
How ignorant, read my post- that goes in the bottom like the serial ports on the GameCube. We've seen patent images that detail this.

Why would Nintendo compromise the sleek design of the system for something that a minority of users will take advantage of? It's going to be for something that people use often if it is on the front of the console judging by the layout which is excellent.

God, have you even looked at the pictures?

The top panel of the Revolution houses 4 GameCube controller ports and 2 GameCube memory ports.. this is hidden by a flap to maintain an elegant design when not in use. Well known fact since TGS 2005.

Obviously I have because I said that we know where the memory card slots and USb ports are, but we don't know where the SD card slots. God, did you even read my post?

Moria I was talking to the dude who said "Yeah post E3 2005 I think it was ign that said the flap was for GC memory cards and SD cards. There could be a little extra something under the flap, but I doubt it. Still would be nice." this person has been confused by the front flap and the top flap with regard to Cube peripherals.

I've now added a picture who can't be arsed to read what I wrote. Sorry, should have quoted.

http://oami.eu.int/bulletin/rcd/2006/2006_012/000431309_0001/images/000431309_0001_6_source.jpg

Moria I was talking to the dude who said "Yeah post E3 2005 I think it was ign that said the flap was for GC memory cards and SD cards. There could be a little extra something under the flap, but I doubt it. Still would be nice." this person has been confused by the front flap and the top flap with regard to Cube peripherals.

I've now added a picture who can't be arsed to read what I wrote. Sorry, should have quoted.

http://oami.eu.int/bulletin/rcd/2006/2006_012/000431309_0001/images/000431309_0001_6_source.jpg

Oh, ok. Sorry about that :)

From what we've seen of the layout of the back and from what we can see of the sides AND under the top flap, tho only place the SD cards have left to go is under the front slap. Mystery solved! And yes it has been officially stated that whatever is under that flap will also concern the DVD expansion.

There still havn't been any pictures showing where the "wand" will be pluged in... obviously it cant be pluged in the front flap, since it would ruin the sleak and buatiful look, but there is no ports for it on the rovolution that was shown at GDC06... and I really don't think it'll just connect by USB...

It could be bluetooth and have it's own power supply. Weirder things have happened.

There still havn't been any pictures showing where the "wand" will be pluged in... obviously it cant be pluged in the front flap, since it would ruin the sleak and buatiful look, but there is no ports for it on the rovolution that was shown at GDC06... and I really don't think it'll just connect by USB...

It's wireless....

Nintendork be a little more understanding and stop calling people ignorant, please.

And the wands wireless but how is it charged? Is it just by batteries or can you plug it intop the console itself?

It could be bluetooth and have it's own power supply. Weirder things have happened.

Sheeesh. Common snese.

Hang on Wes you are talking about the thing that sits under the TV right, not the FHC?

They are going to be including generic drivers for USB pen drives so they can be plugged into the back of the console for extra storage.

Source?

Until we know that a N64 game is 32mb for example or a NES game is 500kb we can't quantify how good the storage is built in.

Have a look at roms available online - these will give you an idea of the size of retro games.

It was pretty stupid calling the sensor the 'wand' seeing as the FHC is basically like a wand, more so than the sensor because we don't actually hold it.

Thanks for that IGN.

I don't think the wand will be power intensive enough to warrant having it's own power supply.. It's totally feasible that it could be battery powered, I would prefer it to be that way because it would make the Revolution more elegant and mean I can display it in more positions without it being tethered.

We already have Power and AV.. that's enough wires thank you very much.. if the FHC was wireless it would need to jump 2 ways before it got to Revolution- this delay might be somewhat detrimental to the playback which leads me to the conclusion that the sensor will use a USB port for power and data transfer.

glucoseaddict, Iwata said it a week or two ago.

With regard to roms Nintendo may have engineered them different, though roms are what I used for my 32mb/500kb estimations.

Nintendo may have re-engineered them, cut out a lot of crap no longer needed or added in extra things to make it seemless for game saves.

- Hard to say right now because the interface may not be as simple as a traditional emulator for PC.

I think it was George Harrison who said that there will be the ability to add extra storage, maybe with an external HD or something. So on the same basis Nintendork would be right I guess.

Ahh good. I was starting to think that people were just ignoring what I was saying.

Ah no, IGN has caused this problem.. they should've just called it a motion sensor or something.

These preliminary kits include only a wired Revolution controller, a wired nunchuck attachment and a wired motion bar, which some studios have labeled the "wand."

I'm hoping that the wand is both connected to the Revo through USB, and powered by USB. I really dont want to have another thing controlled by batteries!

More wires is bad, I agree. But at least you can tuck them behind something and forget bout them.

Sign in to follow this