NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaFreak

RE: I am Scared of the Revolution.....

Up to last night Iwas praising the revolution to my mates and family. Then it suddenly struck me what if all action adventure games, platform games, RPGs, etc. Are done in a first person viewpoint as it would be easier to indicate the controller than to have to design a fresh structure to games like mario, Zelda, Mario kart, Kirby, SSB......

Only thing I think I'm stating is this console will only be good for FPS nothing else I'm afraid to say.

No-n-no no! Don't worry. This is what the 'controller shell' is going to be for. To allow more traditional control style and more unoriginal games.

We'll still get the multi platform games (hopefully).

Someone made a demo of what a platform game (Mario) could be done like. It looked really good.

We may see somthing like this:

Man, the more I think about it, the more the possibilities for the FHC on it's own become blatantly obvious! And exciting!

Mario 128

Mario's always situated in the centre of the screen, with a high camera, slightly angled.

D-Pad: rotate the camera around mario and Zoom in out. at maximum Zoom in, it switches to 1st person, static viewing (controlled by the FHC)

FHC: While holding A, Mario runs towards the spot that the FHC is pointing towards, much like using a mouse in an old isometric RPG such as Diablo. The more you point towards the screen's edge, the faster Mario runs. Small flicks make mario jump.

B button: Combines with the FHC pointer (like a mouse cursor) and context sensitive markers in mario's environment to allow for various actions (Kick Kooper shell at line of goombas, fire fireballs at cactus, bounce off wall to reach higher platform etc.)

Some cool Idea videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O4rc09LLBM&search=revolution%20demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Jbb1qG838&search=revolution%20demo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3633750765588228889&q=bider&pl=true

There is much more than an FPS. The controller lends itself really well for RPGs (very much like pointing and clicking), racers (FHC = steering wheel), flying games (FHC = plane) as well as action adventures. Someone posted an excellent description of how Zelda would work with the FHC and nunchuck several months ago, but I can't find it.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about are platformers, but there's always the controller shell and I'm sure Mario 128 will be a good example for FHC platformers.

Pfft.. whatever.

That's stupid.. these people get paid to sit in a room, and play with it until it works.

I imagine they would resent such comments against what they do.

Thats a point we havn't even seen the shell, guess it will get shown of at E3.

racers (FHC = steering wheel)

That's a point, the revo controller could slot into a plastic steering wheel shell. Raceing wheel 'controllers' were always expensive and pretty rubbish.

Thats a point we havn't even seen the shell, guess it will get shown of at E3.

I'm hopeing it'll be different to the GC pad, just to complete that new console feel where you hold the pad for the first time. :)

Well from what I heard the shell may not be incl. in the main package so you'd have to pay more for it, which makes me wonder if its only going to be for the Virtual Console.

Why can't games be played in third person? The analogue stick moves the character around, the freehand controller controls the camera and the buttons perform the other roles - Basically the freehand controller just replaces the C-Stick, hardly revolutionary but it would allow for more accurate camera control and remove any need for a controller shell to play these games.

For example - Freehand controller, look around and choose an appropriate view, press A to lock the camera in position. Analogue stick attachment and shoulder buttons control all movements. Nice and simple.

Well from what I heard the shell may not be incl. in the main package so you'd have to pay more for it, which makes me wonder if its only going to be for the Virtual Console.
I've heard otherwise.. the console is already going to be pretty cheap come November.. Nintendo are most certainly going to be selling at a profit compared to Sony and Microsoft who are selling as a loss.

I feel in order to raise the price of the system.. make it feel more complete they will include a FHC, nunchucka and the shell.

By raising the price ever so slightly for the shell (which is, just a plastic shell) the console comes with 'out of the box' true backwards compatibility with GameCube games, NES games, SNES games and to some extent N64 games too.

Everyone is like "ooh wow turn the Revolution controller sideways and it's a NES pad" but it isn't a SNES, N64 or GameCube pad is it? and it certainly wont support PC-engine or Mega Drive games like that.

Better idea: Give the shell as standard.. meaning people who do want to take advantage of the backwards compatibility can do.. and the minority of people who do not want to use the backwards compatibility may be slightly tempted to do so..

And they'll have that backup for racing games etc.

I don't think it will come with a shell,just an extra FHC.Maybe a package with either an extra FHC or a free Shell.

You wont get an extra controller.. in all the history of games consoles i've never seen one launch with 2 controllers as standard.

It's like making someone pay for something that they might not want.

What if most gamers buy this system to play on their own? One FHC will come with the system.. one nunchucka and it's hard to say about a shell.

One thing is for sure.. they don't want to overdo it with accesories.. if it adds a dimension to the game- great, if it's unecesary then why bother?

My friend really wants this: http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zeldacontroller0bc.jpg but I explained to him, the Revolution's nunchucka doesn't have a gyro in it defeating the point of the shield and that sword would be far too top heavy and ultimately pointless.

He also wanted this shotgun: http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=controllerconceptsgungames2005.jpg

But what is the point when the system can already emulate a gun fine with the FHC as a strandalone.

These accesories will be expensive to produce (the amount of plastic and construction costs) and they don't really add much to the game apart from looking cool.

I seriously doubt Revolution will come with a second FHC because i'm betting many people will play alone.. I will be most of the time.

I also will never adopt the FHC as a controller for a racing game.

NEVER!!!!! I will always use the shell and a standard control setup.. I actually wont buy F-zero if it doesn't allow me to do so.

There could always be a first,they're considering it anyway so we'll see.I don't want a shell right away ,not in a rush for one.There's duel weilding games so 2 pads for each person is fine.Don't care about the nunchucka having a gyro anyway.

Nintendo are considering including a second controller. So lets wait and see eh?

Those demo's you posted DiemetriX rock! The other ones on youtube are seriously out of sync..

There could always be a first,they're considering it anyway so we'll see.I don't want a shell right away ,not in a rush for one.There's duel weilding games so 2 pads for each person is fine.Don't care about the nunchucka having a gyro anyway.
Who said anything about dual wielding? We don't even know if this is possible to sync it with the hardware. The only occasion we've seen this is the drummer in the promo video and this is pretty rudimentary percussion movements.

Nintendo are considering including a second controller. So lets wait and see eh?
Wanna provide a source? These controllers aren't cheap.. wireless equipment isn't cheap in general. Providing a second controller considering a minority of people will take advantage would be a bad move.

Considering there is money to be made in the accesory market it would be a crazy move.

What accesories do you get with an iPod these days? earbuds, a usb cable for transfer and charging and a CD with iTunes on it.

George Harrison-I think- said Nintendo are considering putting 2 controls is and it's not that expensive then is it?Duel wielding is possible just wait and see.Your making to much assumptions here.It wouldn't be that bad of a move lots of people would like duel weild it's new and fresh.

Yeah, i think it was george harrison, i would go around looking for it but i cant be assed, i dont need to prove what i heard.

Yea same hear,we read it,we know it's true ,not our problem to check.

o.0 your a 'R-E Forums Groupie' now congrats :)

Okay, Google popped up: "-Nintendo is still deciding what will be packed in the Revolution. Right now a controller and a nunchuk add on will be, but Nintendo is thinking about adding another controller as well." - George Harrison.

I still think it's highly unlikely, how many games will use it? Probably 1 or 2.. how many people will want to pay extra for a game they wont buy? None

Revolution is about simplifying it.. not complicating it.

Even if we don't get it with the rev i'm still gonna buy an extra one anyway so if it's bundled then that's a plus,so there's gonna be a quite few at launch that will use 2 and future games will use 2 aswell.An extra one would be great.

Sign in to follow this