NEurope
david.dakota

After the first shots... How do you feel?

You wasn't feeling sceptic before? :wtf: I mean unless it is officially announced by Nintendo themeselves, then i'm pretty much sceptic about most things.

I thought IGN was a reliable source, and it is actually. If you only believe Nintendo you only see the sunny side of the world, and that's not always the truth.

I think IGN have gotten outdated information. The shader effects in the screenshots seem far better than IGN's specs could do in which there were no additional shaders compared to the Cube.

I thought IGN was a reliable source, and it is actually. If you only believe Nintendo you only see the sunny side of the world, and that's not always the truth.

I think IGN have gotten outdated information. The shader effects in the screenshots seem far better than IGN's specs could do in which there were no additional shaders compared to the Cube.

either that or they have gone with a shedload of hardware effects...

like the hardware based lighting in the cube

They only suggested there are no new shaders, they don´t know...

By the way has anybody seen the statement of an ATI-exec who said: "We know NVidea has good relations to ageia, but we can do physics way better on our GPU´s than Ageia or Nvidia can on their chips"

To the topic:

Man I´m sooooo hyped...(post would be tooo long to explain my feelings)-

I´m in love!!!

They only suggested there are no new shaders, they don´t know...

By the way has anybody seen the statement of an ATI-exec who said: "We know NVidea has good relations to ageia, but we can do physics way better on our GPU´s than Ageia or Nvidia can on their chips"

To the topic:

Man I´m sooooo hyped...(post would be tooo long to explain my feelings)-

I´m in love!!!

i second that.

after seeing the first in-game shots i just KNOW the NREV is going to deliver the kind of new gaming experience that was / is so sorely lacking for the 360.

I didn't mean it like that. What I ment was, when talking about the Revolution's capabilities/ specs, Nintendo is the best source for that. After all it is their console. So if anyone knows about what Rev can and Can't do, Nintendo is the best source for that.

Do you understand? I'm not saying people should beleive everything Nintendo tells people. But when it comes to specs, obviously Nintendo knows it all, because it's their console.

looks a lil bland but the game itself sounds pretty cool-for some reason i think i'm gonna have to by most of the launch titles- the graphical capabilities seem to be on a par with 360 games at the mo-like tomb raider, dont know if it could handle oblivion though :S heres to hoping!

i was excited when i saw the sceens, i showed my friend and he said they looked like 360 screens. so all is good. im just dreading for myself when new zelda and other rev info is released. ill be going hyper.

I'll be really hyper at E3.I love the graphics for the rev they will keep me happy for a long long time :)

I'll be really hyper at E3.I love the graphics for the rev they will keep me happy for a long long time :)

In 4 years when HD becomes cheap you won't be saying that.

In 4 years when HD becomes cheap you won't be saying that.
In 4 years (the way things are going) we'll be getting ready for the NEXT-gen, so it won't really matter the Rev didn't support it!

I'd imagine Nintendo will support HD with there next console, because it will be cheaper and more accessible to everyone.

I know it's a long way off, but I wonder how Nintendo will approach NEXT-gen?

An update of the Rev, with better graphics etc... like N64 - Gamecube,

or something EVEN more groundbreaking, that'll leave Sony and Microsoft (who will have copied the Rev for NEXT-gen?) in the past yet again?!

no worries, i'll gladly explain my comments.

first off, you should know i'm getting a revolution as i feel nintendo's recent output has been excellent. I own a DS, i'm getting a DS lite, and i'm currently playing advance wars DS, animal crossing, mario and luigi 2 and zookeeper. i own a tonne of DS games as i feel they deliver more (and the DS delivers more) than the gamecube ever did.

however, while my thoughts about the revo hardware are positive, i have quite a lot of trepidation concerning the software, which mostly focuses on 3rd party software. will there be much 3rd party software is my first question, and will it be any good is my next question.

i haven't seen enough of red steel to give you any definitive opinions, i only offer my very loose opinions based on the limited info and screens i've seen, but the game doesn't seem to hang together right for me.

the adult theme of the game (no doubt a deliberate move to establish the revo as a machine not just for kids) grates against the apparent way you have to draw shapoes with the wand to do certain moves. it's almost like the GTA button pressing challenges everyone hated so much.

i could be wrong, it could be really well implemented, but from what i've read so far i don't like that. it could break up the action and remove you from the atmosphere of the game.

likewise, as a long term ubi fan, i know that any screens they throw us at this stage must be viewed with a healthy amount of scepticism, they could be real, but then again they could be 'concept' shots (the industry term for 'faked' these days).

regardless of the quality of the game, i'm disappointed to see the first game revealed for the revo is a lightgun title, the most obvious application of the revo's wand. as time passes by perhaps tags like 'lightgun game' won't apply to revo title's, as every game will feature aspects of light gun, sword swinging etc...but i'm just explaining my comments here, i can't predict the future!

you might still think i'm a bell-end, but them's my feelings on the matter. i'm sure cozmic had a good laugh that my first reply from a forum member was so descriptive! :D

^Why do you still think its a lightgun game? The Revolution controller is not a lightgun. It is a far superior input device.

Its more like a hybrid cross between the Mouse/keyboard setup and a Conventional controller. A Lightgun it is not....

As for 3rd party support, lets wait and see. I for one think that you are underestimating the lure of these new innovations from Nintendo. Many, many developers have expressed wishes to create software using it.

i'm sure cozmic had a good laugh that my first reply from a forum member was so descriptive! :D

:wtf:stupid 10 character limit

I'm not so optimistic about the Free Hand Controller in Red Steel Terms. Sure thing, we'll be playing a FPS in ways never done before with the FHC, a true console innovation. But we will still be playing a FPS. Can someone tell me why I should care about a FPS? Maybe the controls are mighty different, holding the FHC, aiming at the screen, dodging behind knocked-over tables and Jack knows what. But, I will still be steering my character through rooms and killing enemies. Where is the innovation? Is this not exactly what we have been doing since Wolfenstein 3D?

So maybe the controls are different, and I bet they will feel fresh, and fun and unexplored. But for how long? Aren't controls a mere interface, a language to communicate. And aren't we rather interested in the message itself, what's happening on the screen, rather than what's happening in our hands.

One could design a device by wich one has to smash his head against a rubber ball, and jump through hoops to control an on screen character. But what difference does it make?

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not sceptic about the possibilities of the FHC and revolution, but I am sceptic about the distance certain developers will go to explore the space.

Red Steel brings nothing new, as far as has been shown. It is a FPS, and we will use the FHC for controls. But it might just as well have been a d-pad we would be using.

Innovation lies not in mere controls. It lies within the game itself.

That being said, I can't wait to play the bastard. I can imagine myself taking cover behind my couch, rolling around on the carpet. Oh yeah.

I am loving the shots and the idea of Red Steel.

I am a little unsure about peoples reservations... the drawing symbols only applies to special katana moves right? and can hardly be compared to a button mashing mini game from GTA. As for Red Steel not offering anything new... well I fail to see how this comment works. It is set to be the first FPS to utalise the FHC. Is this a light gun game? No you fool because a lightgun game runs on Rails ... This is a FPS. You have never had this type of control before in a console game. And as for things getting familiar... well things DO! We can only bath in the glow of newness for so long... the fact is that once we are used to the Revo controller we could very well be familiar with a superior control method. I got no problems with that.

I'm not so optimistic about the Free Hand Controller in Red Steel Terms. Sure thing, we'll be playing a FPS in ways never done before with the FHC, a true console innovation. But we will still be playing a FPS. Can someone tell me why I should care about a FPS? Maybe the controls are mighty different, holding the FHC, aiming at the screen, dodging behind knocked-over tables and Jack knows what. But, I will still be steering my character through rooms and killing enemies. Where is the innovation? Is this not exactly what we have been doing since Wolfenstein 3D?

So maybe the controls are different, and I bet they will feel fresh, and fun and unexplored. But for how long? Aren't controls a mere interface, a language to communicate. And aren't we rather interested in the message itself, what's happening on the screen, rather than what's happening in our hands.

One could design a device by wich one has to smash his head against a rubber ball, and jump through hoops to control an on screen character. But what difference does it make?

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not sceptic about the possibilities of the FHC and revolution, but I am sceptic about the distance certain developers will go to explore the space.

Red Steel brings nothing new, as far as has been shown. It is a FPS, and we will use the FHC for controls. But it might just as well have been a d-pad we would be using.

That being said, I can't wait to play the bastard. I can imagine myself taking cover behind my couch, rolling around on the carpet. Oh yeah.

Well said, its an obvious point that seems to be over looked by the fanboys who claim that rev is the only next gen console.

But at the same time i think people also misinterpret nintendo intentions. Its not to do away with the current trends and genres, the FHC is there to facilitate the new and to also compliment and hopefully improve the current. For those genres/games where the FHC isnt the best option they included the ability to customize the FHC with the nunchaku being a basic example.

While the less adventurous gamers and developers will still have the Shell, because the intention is for Rev to have appeal outside of the FHC as well.

As for my thougths having seen red steel. It only served to create more questions more so as the quality of the scans available have ranged from poor to terrible. But more and more i get the feeling revolution is a console that needs to be "experienced" as some of the worries and concerns that have arisen from different people are very much understandable.

the game looks like its on the same level as re4 (the art direction is totally different, so comparing the 2 is difficult) is , but with afew upgrades..

1.Particles, shattering effects look NEXT GEN ..

2.Lighting effects on explosions look amazing!! shadows look more like realtime shadows (although dont think there perfect shadows) it looks better then re4.

3.Everything is smoother then re4, barely any jaggys at all , resolution looks very high (like you can see for miles)

4. polygon counts seemed low on the character models , but the textures compensated for that and they look just fine because of it (revolution i think will use alot of bump maping instead of using billions of polys to create the same effect)

I think the game looks beautiful

who ever said next gen = this gen graphics + bells and whistles ,

isnt far from the truth , and im cool with that.

As long as a game can look as good as re4 then visually it will impress me , if the GAMING GODS came down and said "no game from this point on will ever look better then re4 , but instead stay at the same level "

i would be ok with that (and i consider myself kinda a graphics whore)

funny thing is, i don't class the revo as next gen at all.

that's not a comment on it being good or bad, but a 'souped up xbox' with a new controller doesn't qualify for what i call 'next gen'.

not being next gen isn't necessarily a bad thing, the DS isn't really in the same gen as the PSP, but we all know the DS absolutely wipes the floor with the PSP.

i know, i'm gonna get flamed.

3.Everything is smoother then re4, barely any jaggys at all , resolution looks very high (like you can see for miles)

4. polygon counts seemed low on the character models , but the textures compensated for that and they look just fine because of it (revolution i think will use alot of bump maping instead of using billions of polys to create the same effect)

Well those pictures looks awesome. They might be in-game shots, but they are rendered in a higher resolution and that's why you don't see any jaggys or blur textures etc. One way or another, the final game will worth the wait and I hope I'll have the chance to see it myself soon!

right.. on the dpad thing, part of the game involves halting an attack that would otherwise have shed blood. now I don't know exactly how the game plays, but I imagine that being alot trickier with a traditional controller.

The AI sounds interesting too.

I think the screens look great, but Nintendos efforts are going to really show what the Revs graphics are capable of. Im pretty sure only Nintendo will have the final 'final' dev kits, they are in a business and will want their own games to sell the most and one of the ways they can do this is by ensuring their games look the best.

I think the screens look great, but Nintendos efforts are going to really show what the Revs graphics are capable of. Im pretty sure only Nintendo will have the final 'final' dev kits, they are in a business and will want their own games to sell the most and one of the ways they can do this is by ensuring their games look the best.

Cue commercial suicide, by alienating third party developers again.

Yeah, they won't do that. Sure, they have the latest dev-kits (of course, they are the ones making the console), but they want others to get it ASAP to.

They've hired the main hall of the Kodak Theatre. They WILL have big things to show and tell.

(No, not like that Jordan...)