N-Europe

Learn Japanese together!

darkcloud

Ok so I've been thinking...... I've been learning Japanese, but, really I have no one pushing me to do it so I tend to slack off a bit..... I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in learning from the same stuff and then practicing here together.... If we did it in the way I'm thinking it would be more learning to speak Japanese rather then read/write so we would probably be using slightly messed up Romaji on the forums, but, it would be very helpful...... I sometimes try practicing with my girlfriend, but, her being fluent doesn't help as she'll often come out with stuff I don't have a clue about....... That will help later on but not right now. lol

So yeah, my plan...... First everyone would have to "get hold of" Pimsleur Japanese 1 (and later 2 and 3)........ This is a very good tape lesson set.... Costs a lot of money to buy so I would suggest going a "cheaper alternate" route would be the way to go. ^^d We would probably do a lesson a day as instructed by the guide and then practice on here by typing it out....... It would help your speaking as well if you said it out loud as you typed......

Before starting this up I'm just wondering who would be interested. :) ^^d

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jordan

I tried... found it pointless because its so freaking hard.

I'd give up now, learning a new language at such a late age is very hard to do.

I'm not telling anyone where to download it........... I mean it's not against the law to go around telling someone to download something even if the downloading of that item is illegal...... Also I'm not supporting such sites by advertising a URL for them.... *shrug*

It really isn't THAT difficult..... You just have to put in a lot of effort.... That's why I'm trying to get others to help along and encourage each other..... Makes things a lot easier and also a lot less boring...... =P

- Any comment that calls for or encourages unlawful or illegal behaviour or might result in harm to others is prohibited, this includes the discussion of ROM files.

Hmmm I guess so...... Ok mr I will change it seeing as it seems to have offended your better sences.........

Guest Jordan
I'm not telling anyone where to download it........... I mean it's not against the law to go around telling someone to download something even if the downloading of that item is illegal...... Also I'm not supporting such sites by advertising a URL for them.... *shrug*

It really isn't THAT difficult..... You just have to put in a lot of effort.... That's why I'm trying to get others to help along and encourage each other..... Makes things a lot easier and also a lot less boring...... =P

Odwin spoiling the illegal fun again :D

You should probably do body parts in Japanese, sure you'de have fun with your girlfriend there... :idea:

ROFL! Well that's a more advanced subject. ^^d We'll be getting onto that at some point. :love: Something to look forward to in the Japanese class I guess. =P

Cool we got one man up for it! ^^d Jordan rejoin the crusade to learn Japanese! You know you want to!

Anytime that happens I can easilly get my girlfriend to help us out. :) Also the point is that hopefully one person will be able to correct the next filling in gaps of things we don't know..... I'll only get my girlfriend to help if everyone gets a bit lost. =P

I was going to take a course at school as well, but, I put it off until next year when I have more time. ^^;

Considering I'm going to Japan this year however that was a mistake. lolol

Fatnickc will you join our group? Whilst at the start I'm sure you will know most of what we are learning I'm sure you would pick up something new as well and be able to help us out at the same time. :)

Ermmm yah I can see it, but, I know 0 Hira, kata or kanji. =P SO yeah no idea what it says...... People won't actually need Japanese installed on the computer (at least at first) for what I want to do as we will be focusing on getting the basics of the spoken language down........ Learning to read and write it will be easier after that anyway. =P

Guest Stefkov

ive been wanting to learn japanese for over a year and i get realy jealous when people say theyre taking it in school, lucky b*stards.

i know maybe only a few words, in romaji (romanji? i dont know if theres an 'n' in it)

what would be really cool is, if somone who is learning it now had a book of some sort and maybe scanned it and put it up on here, we could download it and learn from that. i find website are overcrowded with information at one time so i cant concentrate on one thing.

id love to join in but with my GCSE's this year and i have to learn spanish for a speaking, i think it would be funny if i just came out with a japanese word by accident. but it wouldnt be good as i think i wouldnt get good marks,

It would only take up 30 mins a day of your time and I know people who have learned 3 languages at a time... Infact if anything learning more stuff at one time is easier as it creates more brain activity. ;)

The lessons I speak of are 30 mins each and there are 30 in each section... There are also 3 sections..... So in 90 days we will have finished all the lessons.... Obviously not everything would have been taken in, but, that's where the usefull notes come into play. :)

The practicing on the forums will help you forget the smaller parts in the lessons...... These lessons also go back over subjects constantly. :)

It would be good fun and probably make you feel less stress from the spanish as well as helping you out by expanding your mind. ;)

Oh and yes it's romaji.......... I sometimes add an n as well. v.v;;

I'd love to join in with this. I added you to my MSN contacts. I'm sure that this won't disrupt my German learning... I'd love to learn Japanese, I dunno why really. I'd love to go to Japan, be able to read the scans of Fatismu (sp?) and listen to some speeches without subtitles.

Japanese is a weird language. When you first look at it, you think OMG, how the hell am i supposed to learn that.

Then you look into it, and you begin to learn stuff, and then you think woha, this isn't that hard....

And then you get to adjectives, and a few other things, and thats when you realise japanese is fuckin unreal hard. You need to be surrounded to learn it properly.

I have gotten quite far with the verbs, conjugation and that, along with a good few kanji, i know what every one i know means, but i only know how to say half or less. Speaking it isn't so hard though.

So who knows maybe i'll observe, but i dont know anything about this tape thing?

I'm personally not going to try to learn hira and kata until I get the basis of the speach down itself...... I mean I would then be able to read really basic stuff, but, I won't know what it means........ So I would get disheartened. lol

I'm pretty sure others would be interested in learning though so if you wanted to do hira/kata lessons at the same time that would be pretty cool actually. :)

I mean I will find it helpful to look back on once I'm ready to learn it so yeah.... I say you should go for it. ^^d

Ok I'm going to give a basic idea of how this will all work it seems like there is enough interest to give it a go.....

Everyone would have to get hold of Pimsleur Japanese 1 (that would be good for the first 30 lessons but if everything goes well then 2 and 3 would be needed later)........ Pimsleur is meant to be the best teaching method available for learning to speak Japanese without actually taking classes in the subject... Pimsleur 1 (and 2/3) are split up into 30 lessons which last 30 mins each.... It is advised that you do 1 lesson a day..... That's 30 mins of your time, I'm sure everyone must have 30 mins spare a day.... I mean you could put it onto an mp3 player and do it on the way to school/work if need be........ :)

After each lesson we would speak about what we've learned and practice with each other on the forums... Obviously this wouldn't be too detailed after the first lesson or so, but, after a while I'm sure we could go into some detail. :) If there is anything that you aren't grasping such as sentence formation then you could just post in the thread and someone should be able to clear things up for you...... Basically having a group of people to give you a hand gives you another perspective on what you have heard........ Makes things a lot easier. :)

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything out here or what..... >.<

Oh and btw, I have an easy way for everyone to get hold of each lesson every day, but, I will go into detail on that later when I know exactly how many people are going to do this....... :)

Also if people would prefere a schedule so you wouldn't have to be commited every day then we could sort that out as well. :)

Any questions? I kinda got lost in what I was saying there. :)

Oh and to those who added me to msn I will be online tomorrow.. Right now my girlfriend is using my pc to play FFXI and this PC I'm on dies with msn. rofl